Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:58:27 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

I am far from a Cardinals fan, I respect them as a team for their accomplishments for a smaller market team, but as I said, not a fan.

But I was a fan of "The Wizard".. sad to see him selling things off for money instead of gifting them to his family.. but it must be a sign of the times. Money rules.

Still sad.

Source..

Quote:
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith is auctioning off his 13 Gold Glove awards and various other items for “estate and family planning.”

According to Crasnick, in addition to all the Gold Glove awards Smith is also selling World Series rings from 2006 and 2011 that the Cardinals gave him as gifts, 11 rings he got from being chosen for All-Star games, and other awards.

No further details yet on why exactly Smith would do something like this, but reading between the lines it’s hard to imagine he’s doing well financially. Smith, who participated in a bunch of the All-Star festivities in St. Louis three months ago, is 57 years old and earned more than $30 million during his 19-year career.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Porforis  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:09:54 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Heard on WTMJ when going out to lunch: This was to pay for his grandkids' education. Doesn't really add up though, you'd think he'd be able to sell just a fraction of that for the stated goal. But hey, maybe he wants to give them retirements too. Sad from our perspective, but maybe he's realizing that he has all this stuff sitting around in boxes that are great for sentimental value but could be put to better use?
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:50:26 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 645
Applause Received: 657

Well, perhaps he's got enough wealth saved that he worries about it getting taken by estate taxes.

Do not be surprised if the next president, whoever he is, because he's going to find it harder and harder to find money to pay the bills without stealing it via taxes, gets rid of or greatly reduces any estate tax "exemption" and ratchets up death taxes. If it's BO, I'd almost guarantee it (who is going to be more attractive targets for "tax the rich to pay the poor" than the useless heirs of those rich?) But Romney, despite his campaign rhetoric, his silver spoon and all, will be forced to play the "increase tax" card when bond ratings fall, deficits approach multi-trillions per year, etc.

So he could be thinking, lets do what rich people always do .... put the money in a trust where the estate taxers can't get it.

That would be my bet.

Of course, if he were really smart, he'd probably be better off moving to Ecuador or Uruguay.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rss Feed