Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 6:41:22 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Jerron McMillian was fined $21K for his hit on Giants WR Bennett. What else is a defender suppose to do now?

McMillian turned himself away to try and prevent helmet to helmet contact. He lowered himself down and did't hit high. Besides not trying to play the game, what else is a DB suppose to do?

Where to hit

These fines by the NFL have become a friggin joke.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 7:21:52 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Jerron McMillian was fined $21K for his hit on Giants WR Bennett. What else is a defender suppose to do now?

McMillian turned himself away to try and prevent helmet to helmet contact. He lowered himself down and did't hit high. Besides not trying to play the game, what else is a DB suppose to do?

These fines by the NFL have become a friggin joke.

Completely agree with your assessment here... there is nothing more a defensive player can do. Unrealistic expectations.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 7:32:29 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,374

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Completely agree with your assessment here... there is nothing more a defensive player can do. Unrealistic expectations.

That, or recognize the guy already scored a touchdown, then don't be a dumbass by hitting him and getting a fifteen yard penalty. The cerebral part of this game is underestimated.
UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 7:48:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,093
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
That, or recognize the guy already scored a touchdown, then don't be a dumbass by hitting him and getting a fifteen yard penalty. The cerebral part of this game is underestimated.

Except for the fact that his hit could have jarred the ball lose and potentially made the play incomplete.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 11/30/2012(UTC), Zero2Cool on 12/1/2012(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 7:56:38 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Well, he didn't score a TD. With the rules "must maintain control through the process". Hitting clean and hard, can dislodge and prevent a TD. And McMillian hit him clean and hard.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 12/1/2012(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 9:16:35 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Well, I guess if Baltimore could get screwed out of going to the super bowl by a guy stripping the ball after possession then the Giant receiver could have had it jarred loose. Please explain to me why it should be touchdown when a running back reaches the ball over the goal line and has it knocked out of his hands. Shouldn't that be a fumble then?
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:19:02 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,228

Well, I guess if Baltimore could get screwed out of going to the super bowl by a guy stripping the ball after possession then the Giant receiver could have had it jarred loose. Please explain to me why it should be touchdown when a running back reaches the ball over the goal line and has it knocked out of his hands. Shouldn't that be a fumble then?

The ball carrier (this is not relegated to RB's) has possession and control of the ball when reaching it over the pylon or goal line. A receiver in the process of catching a pass in the endzone does not. That's the difference.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 12:26:10 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
The ball carrier (this is not relegated to RB's) has possession and control of the ball when reaching it over the pylon or goal line. A receiver in the process of catching a pass in the endzone does not. That's the difference.

A catch, possession plus one and second foot down; so why does a defender get the right to come jar the ball out when the catch is in the end zone. If the flimsy ass touchdown by the running back counts, so to should the quick catch in the end zone. My old school thinking tells me the ball carrier or receiver should have to have their body in the end zone for it to count, but then again, this is a pussified league in a pussified world.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:08:00 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

A catch, possession plus one and second foot down; so why does a defender get the right to come jar the ball out when the catch is in the end zone. If the flimsy ass touchdown by the running back counts, so to should the quick catch in the end zone. My old school thinking tells me the ball carrier or receiver should have to have their body in the end zone for it to count, but then again, this is a pussified league in a pussified world.

ur logic is terrible....

"WHAT THE DEFENDER GETS THE CHANCE TO KNOCK THE BALL OUT FOR AN INCOMPLETION?! THIS IS A PUSSIFIED LEAGUE!"
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:49:38 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
ur logic is terrible....

"WHAT THE DEFENDER GETS THE CHANCE TO KNOCK THE BALL OUT FOR AN INCOMPLETION?! THIS IS A PUSSIFIED LEAGUE!"

My point is that if it is an instantanious touchdown for the ball carrier reaching it across the goaline, then the same rule should apply for the pass and reception. If you braniacs can't understand that intense scenario, I guess I'll digress. FFFUUUUUCK!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:59:23 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

You realize you're the one pussify things right? You don't want the defender to have a chance to dislodge the ball? That's awfully pussy of you. Why you such a pussy? You have no old school way of thinking so quit that high horse right now. You obviously no nothing of the rules of 'old school'.

There is no such thing as a quick catch. You either catch it, or don't. Remember Seahawks game?

No question, I'm in the room that there are too many rules. It's one thing that's attracting me to College ball more. It seems things are more black/white than in the NFL. I blame money for ruining the NFL. I would love an NFL like the one Jack Lambert played in. You probably don't know who that is do you young buck? He was a fearless middle linebacker who took shit from no one. Google him boy!
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:01:17 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

The act of a catch in the game of football is more complex than 300 level trig formulas.. I think purposely done to give the NFL the grey area needed to explain any blown call.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:10:46 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You realize you're the one pussify things right? You don't want the defender to have a chance to dislodge the ball? That's awfully pussy of you. Why you such a pussy? You have no old school way of thinking so quit that high horse right now. You obviously no nothing of the rules of 'old school'.

There is no such thing as a quick catch. You either catch it, or don't. Remember Seahawks game?

No question, I'm in the room that there are too many rules. It's one thing that's attracting me to College ball more. It seems things are more black/white than in the NFL. I blame money for ruining the NFL. I would love an NFL like the one Jack Lambert played in. You probably don't know who that is do you young buck? He was a fearless middle linebacker who took shit from no one. Google him boy!

You are one confused mother fucker. My point is that if you are going to give that pussy touchdown for reaching the ball over the goalline, then you have to give the receiver the touchdown for the catch to be consistent. I don't think Mcmillian deserved the penalty, but even if he had dislodged the ball, they would have ruled it a touchdown cause he had already crossed the goal line with possession.

And FYI Zero, every time you give me one of your authority little grandstand gestures, I just giggle. What you're trying to accomplish with those is futile.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:51:57 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

You are one confused mother fucker. My point is that if you are going to give that pussy touchdown for reaching the ball over the goalline, then you have to give the receiver the touchdown for the catch to be consistent. I don't think Mcmillian deserved the penalty, but even if he had dislodged the ball, they would have ruled it a touchdown cause he had already crossed the goal line with possession.

And FYI Zero, every time you give me one of your authority little grandstand gestures, I just giggle. What you're trying to accomplish with those is futile.

If the defender dislodged the ball, it would not have been ruled a touchdown. Do you even watch the games? Know the rules or just pretend your words are gospel while pounding your chest boy? That's right, I said it! NFL Rulebook, Google it, study it and come back when you've learned something!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Message modified by user Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:23:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:02:03 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

Flag football! That will solve the problem.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:06:19 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Its simple. Ball carrier in the field of play with possession, when the ball touches the plane of the endzone, it is a TD. When a player does not have possession, they can be hit to prevent gaining possession,whether in the field of play or end zone.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed