Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:34:40 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 86
Applause Received: 149

There was a lot of dismissal over the winter when Joe Philbin went to Miami. Most of us seemed to think that since Mike McCarthy was essentially the OC, we wouldn't miss Philbin much.

Now, 12 games into the season, it seems like we have had a lot of playcalling issues that I don't remember having in the past. Was Philbin's role in the booth to count running plays and tell McCarthy when he was being pass happy? I know that is an oversimplification, but is there an assistant coach that is 'strongly' counseling Mike McCarthy during his playcalling? I would assume there is an assistant something or other than tracks in game stats to work with predictability.
Mike McCarthy didn't overnight forget how to call a balanced game. Philbin seems to be the main change form last year. Maybe we are missing him more than we thought we would.
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:47:15 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,077

Actually we are running more this season than the last couple with exception of the end of the 2010 season.

I am sure Philbin leaving hurts, but it is not like this offense can't get it done if they have the time to get it done.

My opinion, this season has been a struggle because of injury and offensive protection issues. If Philbin had a hand in the protection schemes.. I will concur with the impact his leaving had.

But short of that, I think it was manageable.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:55:02 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

There is a lot of moving pieces going around this year, and I think that's the problem. The emergance of Cobb, The Injures of Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and Cedric Benson. The offensive line shuffling because of injures.. Jermichael Finley and Mason Crosby struggling.. The Offense trying to become more balenced. Etc. Etc.

Honestly the Offense is still there, I just think the defense has not caught up to us at times, mostly not taking away the ball as much.. but still production, 29 or 30 TDs to 8 INTs for Rodgers. The running game becoming a little better week by week (it looks worse than it is because so many different players carried the ball). We just need to be consistant for 4 Quarters. I'm not worried about losing Philbin either, and I'm not gonna blame it all on him not being here. Because even when he was there, Mccarthy still called the plays.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:57:59 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

I don't see much if any difference in play calling. I see mostly the same type routes and plays being called. The same disregard for the run, lack of short pass and slow to make adjustments.

Only difference I see is those plays are not working like they did. Think it has some to do with defenses being better prepared for us, and some of it just being luck. Sometimes the difference between a completion and a reception is just fractions of inches or seconds.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:10:51 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 968

The offense overall hasn't been as successful as last year but they have also played tougher defenses this year and had more serious injures. Despite that this season hasn't been a whole lot different offensively than any of the other seasons besides 2011 with Philbin as OC.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:33:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Philbin should be a good coach, but while in Green Bay he provided too many damn off field distractions. If his kid wasn't getting drunk and killing himself, he was raping people.

We'll be fine.

Arodge just needs to learn to take the checkdown once in awhile. GET THE FIRST DOWN.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline macbob  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:37:15 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 249

I think some of the offensive problems were due to WR injury. Gregorious missed most of the year so far, Jordy's missed all/portions of more than one game. When you lose your top two WRs that's got to impact your passing game.

UserPostedImage
Offline coltonja  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:09:53 PM(UTC)
coltonja

Applause Given: 59
Applause Received: 32

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Philbin should be a good coach, but while in Green Bay he provided too many damn off field distractions. If his kid wasn't getting drunk and killing himself, he was raping people.

If a few things were different I might punch you in the face for saying something like this. I've seen a lot of crap on the internet but that is just insensitive, terribly untrue, and utterly pathetic.

Joe Philbin is a good coach, was a good coach for the Green Bay Packers, and is respected by his players and fellow coaches both past and present.
UserPostedImage

Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
rabidgopher04 on 12/4/2012(UTC), AKampfan78 on 12/6/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:28:50 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

So, are you saying the offense was prolific every year that Joe Philbin was OC? I think 2011 was more so all the pieces fell in the Packers favor than being on one man. I don't see the Dolphins putting up those kind of numbers either.

Surely he is missed. It's not likely he's the reason the Packers aren't putting up offensive scoring records. Keep things in relative.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:43:19 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: coltonja Go to Quoted Post
If a few things were different I might punch you in the face for saying something like this. I've seen a lot of crap on the internet but that is just insensitive, terribly untrue, and utterly pathetic.

Joe Philbin is a good coach, was a good coach for the Green Bay Packers, and is respected by his players and fellow coaches both past and present.

I believe he's going to be a successful HC.

That said, I also believe there was an off field distraction last year that adversely effected the team in the playoffs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:27:35 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 254
Applause Received: 314

The offense as a whole hasn't seemed to gone as smoothly... but it's not just losing Philbin...

The Packers have been missing a lot of guys because of FA or injuries thought out the year... the list includes

Wells (FA)
Grant (not resigned)
Bulaga (injury)
Jennings (Missed time due to injuries)
Finley (disappeared for the first part of the season but might be coming back)
Nelson (Missed a little bit of time due to injuries)
Starks (injured/bang up early in the season, seems to start to get rolling again)

Long story short... it's not one guy... I think missing Wells and Bulaga (which one could argue were the Packers best two OL last year) is a HUGE blow... also missing you #1 WR hurts... and while this team has a LOT of depth at WR... I think Jennings is the only clear cut #1 WR we have. Nelson looks that way at times, but I don't think he's the complete package (at least not yet).
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:51:46 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

We'll be fine.

Arodge just needs to learn to take the checkdown once in awhile. GET THE FIRST DOWN.

Wow. You're going to have to own your words here. Bad stuff. Asinine.
Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:58:55 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

On the other comments I've read here, there are a lot of good ones that together bring it all home. So many factors have gone into our lesser production on O. I do think Rodgers, himself, misses working with Philbin on some level. But, for the most part, injuries, FA losses, and defenses having an entire year to figure us out together bring our numbers down. This has way less to do with Philbin IMO.
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:04:02 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

Mike and Philbin did work well together. There has to be a bit of a learning curve with Mike and Clements.

I don't mind Philbin getting his chance as a HC but in the long run I think he is a better OC than HC.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:02:44 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 86
Applause Received: 149

We can claim injuries, etc. But in week 3, against the Seahawks, Mike McCarthy forgot to run the ball for 30 minutes. Line was intact. Benson was healthy. Not until halftime was an adjustment made.
Week 5 against Indy was another shaky half. Yes, Benson got hurt. But the line was still intact. And you have an 18 point lead. As Sandra Bullock said in the 'Blindside', "Run the dang ball"! Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers passed the majority of the second half and the end result was...
Giants game was a disaster. But again, Mike McCarthy fell on the sword and criticized his playcalling. Injuries had become an issue by then, but, what has caused Mike McCarthy to forget to run?
So, if Philbin was here, would he be the one in MM's ear reminding him to run? Then again, I guess we don't know that Aaron Rodgers isn't changing the play from run to pass. So maybe it's AR's fault.
Rss Feed