Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:03:11 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought Shields had just as good a game last night as Tramon. Tramon got the intense duty of trying to shut down Megatron, but Shields took his job back from House last night - and we have a very, very good cover secondary going into the playoffs - probably best in the league with House and Hayward. The young bucks cut their teeth while Shields was injured and it will be playing huge dividends moving forward. Bush can concentrate on covering kicks.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/10/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:11:30 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

It was awesome having him back and making some big plays last night. Getting Woodson back next week lets us take MD off the field finally.

Woody + Tramon + Sammy + Burnett + Hayward + House

damn.

edit: that being said, Bush is awesome at punt coverage, and he has made some big plays for us in recent years when playing on Defense. Ever since the Superbowl I refuse to hate on him.
call me Dan
Offline PackerTraxx  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:47:13 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

We may not have a stud like Woodson once was, there aren't many like that, but there is good talent with good depth developing.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline RajiRoar  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:47:34 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 239

imagine how much better they would look if our front 7 was decent.

the lack of pass rush is amazing.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline PackerTraxx  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:52:08 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I see them again getting better after this draft, Perry's return, plus another year of experience for our young players.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 1:01:26 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 137

Does Woodson return to a prominent role? To be honest, his play was not exemplary before he got hurt this year. Maybe the change in position, but maybe age? So does he return in a limited role now? Safety in base 3-4? Out on most passing downs? Unless blitzing?

Seems rash, but these 'kids' are doing a pretty good job.
blank
DakotaT on 12/10/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 6:29:40 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,965
Applause Received: 1,429

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Does Woodson return to a prominent role? To be honest, his play was not exemplary before he got hurt this year. Maybe the change in position, but maybe age? So does he return in a limited role now? Safety in base 3-4? Out on most passing downs? Unless blitzing?

Seems rash, but these 'kids' are doing a pretty good job.

no. they need his leadership and experience on the field. he does things no one else can.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 7:14:13 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought Shields had just as good a game last night as Tramon. Tramon got the intense duty of trying to shut down Megatron, but Shields took his job back from House last night - and we have a very, very good cover secondary going into the playoffs - probably best in the league with House and Hayward. The young bucks cut their teeth while Shields was injured and it will be playing huge dividends moving forward. Bush can concentrate on covering kicks.

Well said, and I agree. They are really looking strong, and will only get better.

How good was that to see Shields come back strong! Not a question... Just awesome.
nerdmann on 12/10/2012(UTC)
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 7:35:42 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 219
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
It was awesome having him back and making some big plays last night. Getting Woodson back next week lets us take MD off the field finally.

Woody + Tramon + Sammy + Burnett + Hayward + House

damn.

The only down side I see is only one true Safety. Woodson has played S but his best role is clearly the nickle hybrid S/LB role...

So to get all them on the field at once they'll ether have to keep Woodson back, go to a one Safety look (which Capers has done in the past for short periods) or be creative positions package.

Like a package where Woodson is playing LB (with Hayward in the hybird position)...

I think the one Safety look one is the most likely. I remember the Packers running a 2-4 nickel set, where both OLBers moved up to the line and a Safety moved up and lined up with the Lbers giving it a 4-3 look with 3 CBs and One Safety formation. And if the DBs are good enough in man with out help over the top, they can do that and get away with it.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Online nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 8:42:29 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,549
Applause Received: 640

Woody's gonna provide experience and veteran savvy during the playoffs.

The young guys are gonna learn plenty from him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline macbob  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 10:07:57 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 289
Applause Received: 241

This thread made me think back thankfully that we're not back in the Mike Sherman days with Ahmad Carroll...
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 12/10/2012(UTC), Zero2Cool on 12/11/2012(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:30:47 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 137

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
no. they need his leadership and experience on the field. he does things no one else can.

I understand leadership and experience. But there is an advantage to youth and speed also. Results have been pretty good without him on the field.

I would say he is the 5th best corner right now, behind Williams, Shields, Hayward, and House. At best, 2nd Safety, but probably 3rd. Maybe the best blitzer among the DB's, but...

He is starting to remind me of Donald Driver. Is this his last year with the Pack? He is due to earn 10M next year and in 2014. The NFL is about youth and $. Charles is at the wrong end of each.
blank
Offline gbguy20  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:09:35 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
The only down side I see is only one true Safety. Woodson has played S but his best role is clearly the nickle hybrid S/LB role...

So to get all them on the field at once they'll ether have to keep Woodson back, go to a one Safety look (which Capers has done in the past for short periods) or be creative positions package.

Like a package where Woodson is playing LB (with Hayward in the hybird position)...

I think the one Safety look one is the most likely. I remember the Packers running a 2-4 nickel set, where both OLBers moved up to the line and a Safety moved up and lined up with the Lbers giving it a 4-3 look with 3 CBs and One Safety formation. And if the DBs are good enough in man with out help over the top, they can do that and get away with it.

The issue is, the only time I notice MD Jennings on the field is when hes doing something terrible
call me Dan
Offline Pack93z  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:19:21 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 390
Applause Received: 1,058

Why do we look better this season?

Part is definitely the players added to the backend. There is little doubt about the talent of the young players thrust into roles.

But part of that is also, to date we have been playing a majority of man with little zone sprinkled in. Last season, I truly believe Capers was trying anything to mask talent gaps and injuries (Williams shoulder as a major and Collins going down) with complex schemes that added confusion.

That has cleaned up much of the communication issues coupled with better tackling overall.

My concern is in the playoffs we will be forced into a zone scheme to try and offset the opposing offenses and we will struggle with it. That said.. being 4 deep at CB, 5 if you put Woodson in the slot.. that should allow us to remain in man in most cases.

Either way.. we still have been pretty solid with our pass rush being somewhat neutered by injuries.. we are getting some of that pop back so we should only improve at the right time.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:08:18 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,549
Applause Received: 640

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I understand leadership and experience. But there is an advantage to youth and speed also. Results have been pretty good without him on the field.

I would say he is the 5th best corner right now, behind Williams, Shields, Hayward, and House. At best, 2nd Safety, but probably 3rd. Maybe the best blitzer among the DB's, but...

He is starting to remind me of Donald Driver. Is this his last year with the Pack? He is due to earn 10M next year and in 2014. The NFL is about youth and $. Charles is at the wrong end of each.

Let the speedy youths play CB.

Charles can play S.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”