Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:59:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,142
Applause Received: 1,513

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Should an MVP award go to a player whose team doesn't make the playoff's? Because the Vikes are doubtful.

I am not lobbying for Aaron Rodgers or Cobb. Or any other Packer. But the award is the Most Valuable Player. The Vikings will not be favored in either of their last 2 games and might likely finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs. If AP is made MVP, it means that he took a bad team and 'only' maybe them mediocre. I get that he is their only weapon. Don't care. In my opinion, the MVP needs to get his team to playoffs.


Last I checked it is the MVP award not the MVPOATTMTP award. (Most Valuable Player On A Team That Makes The Playoffs.)

In times past they favored players from winning teams but as time goes by the tend to give it to the player who has the most outstanding season.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Online wpr  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:01:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,142
Applause Received: 1,513

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Kr yards skew the numbers. Anyone you put back there should get 20 y/att return. If the vikes put a.p. on k.r. he probably has 700-900 yards more to his total.

A.R. has had a great year, and yesterday epitomized why A.R. is so valuable with his scrambling ability in a failing pocket and, decision making, patience and incredible accuracy (25 yard seam pass to cobb, back shoulder td to jones). With that said, the vikes are AWFUL. He's 200 yards from setting an NFL record on an offense that sans harvin has only 1 other viable weapon for a defense to prepare for.


As long as we are playing with numbers- I predict after returning the kickoffs AP would be so winded he would miss 1-2 every time or not run as effectively and thus his yards from scrimmage would be reduced by 700-900. Big Grin
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:59:22 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Who cares who gets MVP. It's all about winning games. If you listen to the players all they want is to go to the super bowl. Hell Chris Johnson had 2000 yards and he didn't get MVP. His team was shit too. He probably wanted to make that post season more than 2000 yards. It could be the same exact thing too with the queens, they go 8-8 with nothing but a good running back. Christian Ponder/Vince Young.

Message modified by user Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:13:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gaycandybacon  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:05:13 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Kr yards skew the numbers. Anyone you put back there should get 20 y/att return. If the vikes put a.p. on k.r. he probably has 700-900 yards more to his total.

A.R. has had a great year, and yesterday epitomized why A.R. is so valuable with his scrambling ability in a failing pocket and, decision making, patience and incredible accuracy (25 yard seam pass to cobb, back shoulder td to jones). With that said, the vikes are AWFUL. He's 200 yards from setting an NFL record on an offense that sans harvin has only 1 other viable weapon for a defense to prepare for.


It's acutally quite hard to play running back and or reciever while playing kick off return and punt return. I don't think AP could put up the same amount of numbers if he ran the ball and returned kicks or punts. You take some big hits man, it wares you down.

I'd only give AP the vote because he tore his ACL and didn't miss a game this season. Also Peyton Manning missed the entire season last year then makes a 8-8 team to a 11-3 team. Probably Peyton gets it.
Offline musccy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:47:08 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
It's acutally quite hard to play running back and or reciever while playing kick off return and punt return. I don't think AP could put up the same amount of numbers if he ran the ball and returned kicks or punts. You take some big hits man, it wares you down.

I'd only give AP the vote because he tore his ACL and didn't miss a game this season. Also Peyton Manning missed the entire season last year then makes a 8-8 team to a 11-3 team. Probably Peyton gets it.


My point is merely that Cobb is put in a situation where he SHOULD get ~1,000 all purpose yards in a season via returns, an "opportunity" that players like AP aren't put in to accumulate those stats.

Focusing on all purpose yards, to me, is a little like rating kickers based solely on total points. If you're on an offense that scores a lot of touchdowns, you're getting some "freebee" points each game to pad the stats along with a few field goals. It doesn't necessarily make you a better kicker than someone on an anemic offense. Same with KR/PR yards in an all purpose yardage comparison. If you have the opportunity to do that, you SHOULD be getting an extra 50-125 yards/game.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:05:17 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
My point is merely that Cobb is put in a situation where he SHOULD get ~1,000 all purpose yards in a season via returns, an "opportunity" that players like AP aren't put in to accumulate those stats.

Focusing on all purpose yards, to me, is a little like rating kickers based solely on total points. If you're on an offense that scores a lot of touchdowns, you're getting some "freebee" points each game to pad the stats along with a few field goals. It doesn't necessarily make you a better kicker than someone on an anemic offense. Same with KR/PR yards in an all purpose yardage comparison. If you have the opportunity to do that, you SHOULD be getting an extra 50-125 yards/game.


I guess I agree to the point where the 'hidden' yardage is not really perdominent stat you should go off of. But you should still be considered for those yards because Cobb does play multiple posistions. I mean yards are yards, but whatever way you slice it, those return yards can be a factor just like running the ball.
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:09:41 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

The only M.V.P. award I want any of the Packer players in the running for is SUPERBOWL M.V.P.. Nuff Said.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:13:05 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,142
Applause Received: 1,513

Originally Posted by: SINCITYCHEEZE Go to Quoted Post
The only M.V.P. award I want any of the Packer players in the running for is SUPERBOWL M.V.P.. Nuff Said.


And well said.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Reignman

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Since69

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

19-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

18-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

18-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

18-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind