Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dyeah_gb  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:32:55 PM(UTC)
dyeah_gb

Applause Given: 24
Applause Received: 24

I am all for Mike McCarthy taking risks for the win but he found and crossed the line of balls and stupidity on that one in my opinion.

Trick punt not a career highlight for MM

Quote:
The play turned into a disaster – “Clearly not the highlight of my coaching career,” McCarthy was able to joke after the Packers’ 21-13 victory over the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field. – but didn’t end up costing Green Bay the game.

To be fair, I don't know if I would be as harsh if Ross catches the ball. It really seemed unnecessary with the lead though. My thoughts are just kill the clock. Obviously a three and out running the ball would have been better than what happened.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Offline Porforis  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:36:03 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

I don't care if he catches the ball and runs it back for a score - I'd say "Geeze, I'm glad that worked out because that was a boneheaded call that easily could have turned into disaster:.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:58:16 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,030
Applause Received: 1,467

Mike said Aaron Rodgers was limping. He thought IF Ross could run it back for a score and the defense had to go back out again it would give Aaron a little more time to walk it off.

I will see if I can find the link.

Quote:
"The reason behind the fake punt is that Aaron (Rodgers) had come off with an ankle (injury)," McCarthy said. "We had a couple of injuries on the sideline, had guys that were getting ready for the next series.

"I thought the potential for the big play on special teams was there. It was a play that we have been working on. You look for a certain part of the field, with the wind, all of the factors involved. Now, in the end, it's not a very good decision. I wish I had that back."

In interpreting McCarthy's explanation it would seem to be that he thought a quick score would take some pressure off his offense and allow Rodgers to rest on the bench. But the operative word is score, not fumble.

The play had some potential especially since Cobb is a former quarterback and Ross was an outstanding returner at the University of California. But throwing across the field at Soldier Field is different than throwing it inside the Don Hutson Center.

UserPostedImage

Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:05:39 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

He is not 50/50 on good and bad ST trickery. In the situation, leading, I have no idea why you try something like this, unless the only plan was to give teams the rest of the way out and playoffs something to think about.

But I think he could have waited a week until we locked up a playoff spot for certain.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:15:27 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 248

While it was a bonehead play call...take note that all of Chicago is taking it as a big sign of disrespect. That was a major topic on Chicago radio. According to them, the Packers sideline was also laughing at the Bears.

Comical to me...they deserve to be laughed at.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:19:00 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
While it was a bonehead play call...take note that all of Chicago is taking it as a big sign of disrespect. That was a major topic on Chicago radio. According to them, the Packers sideline was also laughing at the Bears.

And Marshall was all butthurt that he got double-covered last game too. Bunch of fucking whiners, they should be laughing at US for that retarded play, and they should be laughing at THEMSELVES for this pitiful collapse of a season.
UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:24:39 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

News Flash to the Bears:.........Everyone is laughing at you!!!!!!!!!!!Flapper Rolling On The Floor Laughing Ha Ha I'm Right! Neener, Neener

Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:36:30 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,030
Applause Received: 1,467

I listened to them whine about it yesterday afternoon. Doug Buffone pointed out that perhaps the Bears deserved to be laughed at. Chicago recovered the fumble at the 16. In 3 plays they got 0 yards and burnt a timeout in the process.

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 12/17/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:14:01 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Hated the call from the start, for the very "disrespect" reasons mentioned. I hated that call.

Really glad it didn't bite them in the ass, yesterday. However, I doubt CHI will forget that one. It was a bonehead call, all the way... uh, except if they had in fact freakishly scored off of it! Then, it would have had to have been considered "genius."
Offline macbob  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 5:27:35 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 249

I think Slocum/MM were trying to embarrass the Bears like they were embarrassed last year.

In my opinion, this was in direct retaliation to last year's play where Hester faked like the ball was coming to one side when Masthay had angled it to the other. The punt team was focused 100% on Hester, and Johnny Knox caught the ball on the sideline and ran it in for a TD (called back by penalty).

UserPostedImage
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 5:27:43 PM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 132

I might say something about it if the Packers lost.

The fake field goal against the Bears in the first game makes up for it.

After the success of the fake FG and the John Kuhn fake punt, it is good to get the one failure out of the way before the playoffs.

Winning covers a lot of mistakes.

blank
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#27 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:49:23 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
I might say something about it if the Packers lost.

The fake field goal against the Bears in the first game makes up for it.

After the success of the fake FG and the John Kuhn fake punt, it is good to get the one failure out of the way before the playoffs.

Winning covers a lot of mistakes.

They already had a failure. Remember the FG formation, shift to masthay at QB with Crosby as WR.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#28 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:02:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 653

PFT

Quote:
“I wasn’t thrilled about the call, to be honest with you,” Rodgers said. “At that point, I think it was 7:57 on the clock, we’re up two scores, we’ve been moving the ball pretty well. Maybe not the right call in that situation. . . . Just not a very intelligent call at that point in the game.”

Mike is an above average coach with a Hall of Fame GM.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online buckeyepackfan  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:34:45 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 331
Applause Received: 443

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
PFT

Mike is an above average coach with a Hall of Fame GM.

I've checked, doubled checked, even went back a 3rd time, can't find Ted Thompson's name mentioned anywhere in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Hey but if you say it, it must be true.

What that statement has to do with this topic is beyond me, but I guess you can, in your world make it pertinent to this topic.

The call was not a smart one, Mike said he had his reason,was hopin' for a punt return so the offense didn't have to go back on the field right away.

In a way his strategy worked, Aaron got to rest a little more while The D shut down The Bears one more time. LOL

Just one more play opposing Special Teams coaches have to worry about in the future.

Hey Mike, I'd prefere you not call that play again in that situation!!!!

Maybe you should consult you're "hall of fame" GM next time before making another call like that.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Rss Feed