Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:02:15 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0...h-fired-by-chicago-bears

Quote:
We have our first surprising name to be fired on Black Monday. Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith was fired Monday, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Smith met with upper management this morning. Bears assistants were very nervous, according to Rapoport.

Smith had a few things working against him, starting with the reality that he hasn't made the playoffs for five of the last six years. An even bigger factor: GM Phil Emery was just hired last year. New decision makers usually want to bring in their own head coaches.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported last week that Emery and other GM candidates were told a year ago that they had to keep Smith for 2012, but Smith's future after that would be up to them. Now Emery exercised that right. The Bears failed to make the playoffs after a 7-1 start. While Smith's defense is still dangerous, he's consistently been unable to improve the offense through his staff hires.

Smith coached the Bears for nine seasons, making the playoffs three times, including one Super Bowl appearance. The defense was always good, but this was a team that more often hung around the middle of the NFL.

With Smith out, Jay Cutler is going to have to start over with another offensive coordinator. A defense full of players fit to Smith's scheme may not fit well anymore.

This was a sensible time to make a change, but the Bears may have to take a step back in 2013 before taking a step forward.

Imagine if we won yesterday.. This might have never happened Think
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:16:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

God dammit - I wanted that man there forever! Always loved the deer in the headlights look when something went bad, backed by the arrogance that he thought he had it all under control. If Andy Reid gets hired by the Bears, he might actually turn Cutler into a good quarterback. What a horrible turn of events.

Edited by user Monday, December 31, 2012 3:51:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Packerchick on 12/31/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:53:37 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,744
Applause Received: 1,311

UPDATE: Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer notes the Bears have already asked for permission to interview Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.

same link as above
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 3:26:14 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 366

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
God dammit - I wanted that man there forever! Always loved the deer in the headlights look when something went bad, backed by the arrongance that he thought he had it all under control. If Andy Reid gets hired by the Bears, he might actually turn Cutler into a good quarterback. What a horrible turn of events.

He was easy to hate for us Packer fans, and I'm personally happy he got shit-canned, but I still think he was an excellent head coach. I would also worry if the Bears hired Andy. I'm not too concerned, as manglement in Chicago is too stupid to hang on to Smith, so practically by definition they would be too stupid to hire Reid.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 3:53:38 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
He was easy to hate for us Packer fans, and I'm personally happy he got shit-canned, but I still think he was an excellent head coach. I would also worry if the Bears hired Andy. I'm not too concerned, as manglement in Chicago is too stupid to hang on to Smith, so practically by definition they would be too stupid to hire Reid.

Gunny, it's the ultimate compliment to influence another man's avatar. You carry me with now don't you? ThumpUp
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 3:57:18 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Received: 366

I'm still attempting to discern my shit from my shinola.

Flapper

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline zombieslayer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:58:13 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

He was an AWFUL HC. He was a BRILLIANT DC.

If our D bombs in the Playoffs, fire Dom and hire Lovie Smith as our DC. I'm dead serious. Devon Hester will request a trade to the Packers if this happens. Hester's love for Smith is well known.

If we have Hester as our returner and Lovie Smith as our DC, and shore up the OL with one or two workable players (they don't have to be Solid, just average is fine), we'll go 17-2 next year with a SB win. Easily.

Of course, this is a pipe dream. We'll never see Smith as a DC on the Packers. For some strange reason, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are sold on Dom. I have no idea why. Opposing Os have him figured out.

Now Smith has had a top 5 D five times. Dom has had one. 5 > 1. And it's not because of a lack of talent on our side.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:40:56 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Zombie, you are talking out of your ass. We do not have the personnel to play a cover 2 sysetem because we have been building a 3-4 defense. It'd take 2-3 years to make the conversion over, and I don't even believe that is a shut down defense. It is a defense built to make an offense go on long drives, but it's weakness is up the seams and there are too many good tight ends in this league that shred cover 2s.

Lovie's supposed success was built on beating up the weak sisters of the league and he has never been able to piss with the big boys, even with that very strong team that went to the super bowl a decade ago.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 5:58:41 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Zombie, you are talking out of your ass. We do not have the personnel to play a cover 2 sysetem because we have been building a 3-4 defense. It'd take 2-3 years to make the conversion over, and I don't even believe that is a shut down defense. It is a defense built to make an offense go on long drives, but it's weakness is up the seams and there are too many good tight ends in this league that shred cover 2s.

Lovie's supposed success was built on beating up the weak sisters of the league and he has never been able to piss with the big boys, even with that very strong team that went to the super bowl a decade ago.

I am talking out of my ass. Rockmolder corrected me. Had no idea how many changes we'd have to make if we installed Lovie Smith as DC. Most importantly, we'd take away CM3's best skills.

So, I retract what I said about Lovie Smith.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:47:15 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
I am talking out of my ass. Rockmolder corrected me. Had no idea how many changes we'd have to make if we installed Lovie Smith as DC. Most importantly, we'd take away CM3's best skills.

So, I retract what I said about Lovie Smith.

I think Clay could play like how the Broncos use Von Miller in the 4-3. Clay could play anywhere unlike Peppers I think Smith could utilize him much much better than you think.

But Capers is not a bad coach at all. Can't blame coaching for everything I think if we stink it up in the playoffs he may get one more shot. Because starting this year we're sorta starting to rebuild a defense.
Offline yooperfan  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:42:09 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 522
Applause Received: 243

Rumor has it the Bears want to interview Packers Offensive coordinator Tom Clement in their search for a new head coach.
Offline Porforis  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:42:25 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
If we have Hester as our returner and Lovie Smith as our DC, and shore up the OL with one or two workable players (they don't have to be Solid, just average is fine), we'll go 17-2 next year with a SB win. Easily.

We went 15-1 last year and 11-5 this year with Dom Capers as DC and Randall Cobb as our returner. We won a super bowl in 2010 with Dom Capers.

Kickoff Returns:
Randall Cobb: 25.4 YPR, 0 TD
Devin Hester: 25.9 YPR, 0 TD

Punt Returns:
Randall Cobb: 9.4 YPR, 1 TD
Devin Hester: 8.3 YPR, 0 TD

Not taking anything away from Hester, but he's not the beast he used to be. Cobb is just as dangerous, and Ross has shown flashes of greatness in his limited opportunities as well. Hester would not be an upgrade, we can debate all year long about whether Lovie would be an upgrade to Dom or not, but the fact of the matter is that changing DCs = changing scheme, which makes it very hard to hit the ground running. Upgrades at O Line would mean a lot but we've got other needs too.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 8:57:54 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Rumor has it the Bears want to interview Packers Offensive coordinator Tom Clement in their search for a new head coach.

Yeah, we denied the Bears an interview with Clement a few years ago. It makes perfect sense that Clement is still on their radar.
UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:18:12 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post

They're gonna have to wait about 4-5 weeks. Big Grin

I think Aaron Rodgers would miss him a lot. He was sorta a mentor to him through his years developing into a star.

And to the bears makes sense, because well he was a QB coach for many years. Cuntler needs it.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:21:26 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
We went 15-1 last year and 11-5 this year with Dom Capers as DC and Randall Cobb as our returner. We won a super bowl in 2010 with Dom Capers.

Kickoff Returns:
Randall Cobb: 25.4 YPR, 0 TD
Devin Hester: 25.9 YPR, 0 TD

Punt Returns:
Randall Cobb: 9.4 YPR, 1 TD
Devin Hester: 8.3 YPR, 0 TD

Not taking anything away from Hester, but he's not the beast he used to be. Cobb is just as dangerous, and Ross has shown flashes of greatness in his limited opportunities as well. Hester would not be an upgrade, we can debate all year long about whether Lovie would be an upgrade to Dom or not, but the fact of the matter is that changing DCs = changing scheme, which makes it very hard to hit the ground running. Upgrades at O Line would mean a lot but we've got other needs too.

The minute returners become cocky they pretty much are liability's out there. Hester the last what 3 years seems like he wants to go backwards and around defenders.. Instead of just going forward. Cobb started getting a little cocky once this year, but I hope he realizes more than Hester does atm to just gain something than risk and lose something.
Rss Feed