Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
10 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline El3ment12  
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:23:18 PM(UTC)
El3ment12

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/16/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 24

Does anyone else wonder if the D was really being run by Nick Collins in 2010? We have never been the same without him.
Offline gbguy20  
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:23:43 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

BRING BACK NICK
call me Dan
Offline musccy  
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:25:12 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 225
Applause Received: 207

Originally Posted by: shield4life Go to Quoted Post
Truth be told Eric Walden shouldn't even be playing IMO, luckily for him there's always a LB getting injured.

IMO, Perry's speed and Bishop's middle present was missed today.

Executions was terrible out there.

Muffed punt ---> 7 points
Aaron Rodgers pulling a Brett Favre ---> 7 points

That we're 14 points that we just handed them over. Let's not forget also that Rodgers did fumble the ball and luckily he landed on it could of been a different outcome.

The muffed punt did really change momentum of this game, we had killed the crowd @ that point and we're going to ride down the momentum but just killed everything handed the momentum back to the 49ers and they didn't look back!


I don't buy the whole momentum thing...the Packers were gashed before and after that.

I agree with the execution. The OLBs (including cm3) were getting schooled on the edges looking lost, no discipline, and that's what really killed the team tonight.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:26:55 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 81

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
You're citing Collins to make your argument? He was released before F.A. and woodson is very close to the end if not already there. Clay missing 4 games in November has nothing to do with giving up 600 yards tonight.




You're missing the scope of my argument; it was not directed to tonight's game at all. To recap:

dyeah_gb stated: objective evidence (last year's performance) is adequate to justify Capers' firing.

My counter: the performance of this year (minus 3 of our 4 playmakers from last year + missing our best playmaker for a month + having to deal with having 6 rookies see extended playing time) where our defence was average in the rankings provides evidence that suggests Capers does not necessarily deserve to be fired.

We were abysmal tonight. But decisions based entirely on 1 game are pretty rash, and hardly favourable when compared to decisions based on an entire body of work because it provides a much larger sample size on which to base conclusions.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline shield4life  
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:28:00 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Montreal

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I don't buy the whole momentum thing...the Packers were gashed before and after that.

I agree with the execution. The OLBs (including cm3) were getting schooled on the edges looking lost, no discipline, and that's what really killed the team tonight.


I'm pissed how about you?
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline musccy  
#36 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:33:46 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 225
Applause Received: 207

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers Go to Quoted Post
You're missing the scope of my argument; it was not directed to tonight's game at all. To recap:

dyeah_gb stated: objective evidence (last year's performance) is adequate to justify Capers' firing.

My counter: the performance of this year (minus 3 of our 4 playmakers from last year + missing our best playmaker for a month + having to deal with having 6 rookies see extended playing time) where our defence was average in the rankings provides evidence that suggests Capers does not necessarily deserve to be fired.

We were abysmal tonight. But decisions based entirely on 1 game are pretty rash, and hardly favourable when compared to decisions based on an entire body of work because it provides a much larger sample size on which to base conclusions.


I understand what you're saying...and for the record I don't necessarily feel Capers should be fired...i'm on the fence...i'm worried about the personnel, esp. With meat on the line in a 3-4.
Offline shield4life  
#37 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:36:55 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Montreal

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I understand what you're saying...and for the record I don't necessarily feel Capers should be fired...i'm on the fence...i'm worried about the personnel, esp. With meat on the line in a 3-4.


What actually makes you think that keeping him would improve this defense?
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline doddpower  
#38 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:42:04 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,979
Applause Received: 478

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I understand what you're saying...and for the record I don't necessarily feel Capers should be fired...i'm on the fence...i'm worried about the personnel, esp. With meat on the line in a 3-4.


Capers is good at times, but he has consistently struggled against top tier QBs. He's often slow to adjust, if he adjusts at all, and consistently has communication issues throughout his defense. He can shine at times, but I don't think the drop-off would be substantial with another coordinator, and the right person could perhaps be much better. Sometimes it's necessary to get a fresh mind in, especially with the way the NFL is changing. In other words, Capers isn't horrible, generally speaking, but he is at times, and often when it matters most. There is never an excuse for giving up as many yards as they did today, especially in the divisional round of the playoffs. It just can't happen. With a performance that bad, one game has to weigh more than it ordinarily would, imo. His defense was once again humiliated on the big stage, and I don't see how the Packers can let that stand. It's all about accountability. Capers may be able to consistently produce average, but shaky, defenses, but some of the unexplainable collapses are absolutely unacceptable. I would find it hard to believe someone out there couldn't do more with this defense, and the Packers could perhaps find the next "bright-mind" in the process. It's likely a 'risk' worth taking.
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#39 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:42:55 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 81

Don't get me wrong - I am also on the fence about keeping Capers and/or position coaches.

So, according to McCarthy: we did not execute. On D, we tried different things, but none of them worked because of bad execution. To add, says they did not do on offence what they wanted.

This has become a broken record. I'm hoping McCarthy takes this as a kick in the balls and realizes he better scheme up improved personnel packages and schemes this off-season. I do not know how many times our offense has not been able to do what it wanted. And something needs to be done to ensure execution of Defense - I'm not sure simply adding players is going to fix that part of the equation.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline shield4life  
#40 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:43:42 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Montreal

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline Yerko  
#41 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:48:00 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 243

Maybe it's overreaction but I was one foot in last year with the firing of Dom Capers. Yeah, it is easier to coach from the couch but what the hell did the 49ers offense do??? In order...
- Kaepernick drop back, run.
- Kaepernick drop back, pass to Crabtree.

How are adjustments not made? There were more plays where there was not a spy on Kaepernick and guess what the guy did when this was apparent?

When Capers' defense is predictable from your own couch, there is a problem. Yes, the Packers had injuries throughout the season and have a lot of young (talented) players but the job of Capers is to adjust his scheme to what he can do with these players. What happened against the 49ers was 1. predictable and 2. embarrassing.

Done with Capers.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#42 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:49:37 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 225
Applause Received: 207

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers Go to Quoted Post
Don't get me wrong - I am also on the fence about keeping Capers and/or position coaches.

So, according to McCarthy: we did not execute. On D, we tried different things, but none of them worked because of bad execution. To add, says they did not do on offence what they wanted.

This has become a broken record. I'm hoping McCarthy takes this as a kick in the balls and realizes he better scheme up improved personnel packages and schemes this off-season. I do not know how many times our offense has not been able to do what it wanted. And something needs to be done to ensure execution of Defense - I'm not sure simply adding players is going to fix that part of the equation.


Exactly...if you're not executing what you want then f'n fix it. At the end of the season it's clear edge play killed this team...an unwillingness or inability of the secondary to tackle AP, no ability/discipline to contain the edge, brad jones can't get off the block of an f'n wr...
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#43 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:00:43 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 81

I get McCarthy likes big plays. I get Aaron likes to go deep.

But how about having some bunch formations? How about a more short and intermediate passing attack? I like the different packages and formations that they have incorporated to take advantage of Cobb. But it'd be awful nice to have plays where our WRs / Finley is running free because of another receiver picked off a DB.

Jennings showed he still had something left, Finley is a walking mismatch, and Cobb emerged in the slot. How about using all 3 of those players in bunch formation so they all have a chance to utilize the middle of the field while not being pressed?

I really hope we get some more creative packages this off-season. Especially if Jennings and Finley come back.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline doddpower  
#44 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:05:00 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,979
Applause Received: 478

Sometimes I wonder if having all of the Packers WRs healthy can almost be overwhelming at times to the coaching staff. It's got to be difficult to find ways to fully utilize the talents of all the players, especially if the offensive snaps have been limited. I could see it being possible to get into a rut and fail to fully utilize the talent that is available.
Offline musccy  
#45 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:06:57 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 225
Applause Received: 207

Packers' OT is raising some good points right now. If you want Capers fired then...

1) Who do you replace Capers with?
2) the roster is currently built for a 3-4 and even for a 3-4 they are dangerously thin at the line, and deep with servicable talent at lb.

So who is the better 3-4 coach out there, and do you consider a personnel and scheme overhaul in the offseason?

I'm not saying don't fire capers, but it's not as easy as, get rid of him and it's an easy clean upgrade
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
10 Pages<12345>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.430 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
29m / Random Babble / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

1h / Random Babble / Wade

1h / Random Babble / Smokey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Smokey

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

3h / Super Bowl Talk / Smokey

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

12h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.