Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages«<34
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:00:57 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 620
Applause Received: 1,283

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I play Matthews in my 4-3 scheme on Madden 13 at OLB and he does just fine...

There is your proof.

Aside from the joke, Von Miller is real proof that someone like Matthews can excel in a switch from the 3-4 to 4-3. I will agree that a lot of our players are also suited for the 4-3. Having a defensive line like Perry/Raji/Pickett/Neal with 4-3 back-ups like Wilson, Worthy, and Daniels is nothing to overlook.

How difficult would it be for a team to run a hybrid defense (3-4 and 4-3) or is that unthinkable?

Even though none of this will happen, it is a decent off season discussion...Razz

I grew up in the 80's Yerko - I laugh at you spoiled boys who play Madden. :) What's more amusing is the boys in here that need some kind of statistic or sports writer column as PROOF or FACT. These things are as subjective as any of our opnions.

Anyway, if we went to a 4-3, Matthews should go to MLB and be our Brian Urlacher. We'd be stoudt against the run, but would have to blitz to get home on the pass rush.

We'll stay in the 3-4, but what needs to be replaced is playing Raji or Pickett at end. Those boys should just be rotating in and out and anchoring the nose tackle position. Neither players offers anything for pass rush, so let them do what they do and occupy blockers - just keep them fresh.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:02:47 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
All this talk about switching to a 4-3 and wasting CM3's talents is actually funny. You people do realize he was a DE in college right? Thats what he was drafted as and he had to learn the 3-4 scheme. I know we won't switch cuz we are in the same type of years we were in with Favre. You know the ones where we get to the playoffs but then get knocked out.

While they classified what USC ran as a 4-3. If you look at the lineup, they were much closer to a 3-4. Clay played a Standup DE. Which is essentially the same as what he plays today.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline RajiRoar  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:23:42 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 216

UPDATE: I added S, and DE to the list.

yes, im slow.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline PackerTraxx  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:39:48 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I grew up in the 80's Yerko - I laugh at you spoiled boys who play Madden. :) What's more amusing is the boys in here that need some kind of statistic or sports writer column as PROOF or FACT. These things are as subjective as any of our opnions.

Anyway, if we went to a 4-3, Matthews should go to MLB and be our Brian Urlacher. We'd be stoudt against the run, but would have to blitz to get home on the pass rush.

We'll stay in the 3-4, but what needs to be replaced is playing Raji or Pickett at end. Those boys should just be rotating in and out and anchoring the nose tackle position. Neither players offers anything for pass rush, so let them do what they do and occupy blockers - just keep them fresh.

I agree with you T. It would be great to get a couple of big ends like Margus Hunt and William Gholston so we could keep Pick and Raji where they belong.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:23:48 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 62
Applause Received: 94

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

Jay Cutler gets sexually aroused at the thought of Matthews playing MLB.

I do agree with you regarding Raji/ Pickett. Need another big body also as 2013 is probably Pickett's last year.
blank
Offline play2win  
#66 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:37:12 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

What is funny to me is how discussions of switching to 4-3 or staying in 3-4 really do point to the athleticism of Clay Matthews. The guy is a remarkably talented and capable football player.

I am a bit torn about staying in a 3-4. We really do need a bunch of players on D, regardless. Clay would make a great MLB or WSLB in a 4-3. Switching to a 4-3 may increase his effectiveness overall, and give his career more longevity. The bigger problem is with the rest of the front 7 players. We don't have enough consistent playmakers. As good as Matthews was last season in getting to the QB, he sure got washed out a lot when it mattered most. The good teams always seemed to have an answer for him. Part of that was we once again had no one opposite him as a threat.

I think the return of Perry is key in this. He is a better 4-3 player at rush end, than a 3-4 player at OLB. Clay is going to be a great player no matter where he lines up. We need DL across the board. Why not switch?

If they stay in 3-4 or decide to switch to a 4-3, all I want is for them to give Capers better players to run his defense.
Offline nerdmann  
#67 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:46:19 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,276
Applause Received: 559

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
What is funny to me is how discussions of switching to 4-3 or staying in 3-4 really do point to the athleticism of Clay Matthews. The guy is a remarkably talented and capable football player.

I am a bit torn about staying in a 3-4. We really do need a bunch of players on D, regardless. Clay would make a great MLB or WSLB in a 4-3. Switching to a 4-3 may increase his effectiveness overall, and give his career more longevity. The bigger problem is with the rest of the front 7 players. We don't have enough consistent playmakers. As good as Matthews was last season in getting to the QB, he sure got washed out a lot when it mattered most. The good teams always seemed to have an answer for him. Part of that was we once again had no one opposite him as a threat.

I think the return of Perry is key in this. He is a better 4-3 player at rush end, than a 3-4 player at OLB. Clay is going to be a great player no matter where he lines up. We need DL across the board. Why not switch?

If they stay in 3-4 or decide to switch to a 4-3, all I want is for them to give Capers better players to run his defense.

3-4 is a more flexible style. Let's face it we run a 2-4 more often.

I look for Capers to run a more hybrid style with this personnel.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed  Atom Feed