Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:37:48 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,918
Applause Received: 1,412

Just kidding Gilbert. You don't see it in my user name but I am German as well. My Grandfather's family is from the Augsburg area. My grandmother emigrated from outside of Bern in 1904.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline GermanGilbert  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:12:32 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 35
Applause Received: 86

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Just kidding Gilbert. You don't see it in my user name but I am German as well. My Grandfather's family is from the Augsburg area. My grandmother emigrated from outside of Bern in 1904.

Don't worry, wpr, I don't take trash talk outside "Let's talk Green Bay Packers" for serious. You're grandfather's were from the Augsburg area? Then I completely understand why they moved faaaaaaar away Big Grin Big Grin I was raised about 20 miles outside Augsburg, so I know what I'm speaking of. Whistle As this is getting off topic, we should stop discussing here, but if you know the exact village, I'd be interrested to hear it. Good chance that I was there. Just shoot me a PM, if you want :)

blank
Offline Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:23:22 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 173
Applause Received: 379

I have German roots on my Mom's side as well. My maternal great grandparents were from Germany. Although i don't know exactly where. I'd LOVE to find out more about them.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:03:17 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,896
Applause Received: 2,094

My Grandma from my fathers side was 100% German and I also have some German in me from my mothers side too. I'm 47% German, 25% Irish and the rest is equally divided up through a few other ethnicitys.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:38:57 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
My Grandma from my fathers side was 100% German and I also have some German in me from my mothers side too. I'm 47% German, 25% Irish and the rest is equally divided up through a few other ethnicitys.

So you're a f*ckin mutt like me then? I'm 5/8 German, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 English, and 1/8 French.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:00:00 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
So you're a f*ckin mutt like me then? I'm 5/8 German, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 English, and 1/8 French.

and 2/3 turds sometimes. Big Grin

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:07:56 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert Go to Quoted Post
Don't worry, wpr, I don't take trash talk outside "Let's talk Green Bay Packers" for serious. You're grandfather's were from the Augsburg area? Then I completely understand why they moved faaaaaaar away Big Grin Big Grin I was raised about 20 miles outside Augsburg, so I know what I'm speaking of. Whistle As this is getting off topic, we should stop discussing here, but if you know the exact village, I'd be interrested to hear it. Good chance that I was there. Just shoot me a PM, if you want :)

I don't know the village. My grandparents are gone as are my dad and aunts and uncles. I will check with Mom

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:34:17 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

hold the presses!

My brother called me tonight and said his granddaughter was working on her genealogy for a class project. My brother wanted to know if I had our family records. (We have a cousin who has worked very hard on this and shared it with Dad.) I told him I did not have it. My Mom must have our family's copies. My wife told me Mom gave me the files. My wife put them away in the closet. She just got them out and gave them to me.

My grandfather's grandfather (My Great-great grandfather) was born in Steinbach, Unterfranken, Bavaria. That is not really that close to Augsburg. My Great grandfather was born somewhere in Bavaria but the records I looked at don't say where. My Grandfather was born here in Illinois.

The papers I have are a mess. I am going to have to look through them and try to clean them up. Put it on a software program. A lot of the things I have are handwritten notes my Dad made. I see references to Baden and Bavaria on census papers but I am not sure exactly what I have.

EDIT- I just dug down through all the papers and I see a tourist guide book for Augsburg for 1997-98. Dad was not in Germany in 97 or 98. I am not sure why we have this as it is printed in German. He could only read a little bit of German not this much. I know there is a connection so I will have to keep looking and see if I can figure it out. (Some other day.) 5:30 AM is way too close.

Edited by user Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:49:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline Dulak  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 3:04:19 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

I think lots of wisconsinites have this type of mix (I do also ... I was told german, irish, english, bohemian)

Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 6:09:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,896
Applause Received: 2,094

Oops, it's only 43% but this is mine.

7/16 43.75% German
1/4 25.00% Irish
1/16 6.25% Norwegian
1/16 6.25% Swedish
1/16 6.25% French
1/16 6.25% Dutch
1/16 6.25% Belgian
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 6:54:40 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I worry about my German roots.

Apple celebrates 25 billion iTunes song downloads with gift to downloader

Quote:
A desire for "Monkey Drums" won a lucky German man thousands of dollars in free iTunes purchases Wednesday, as his purchase of the iTunes song was the milestone 25 billionth song downloaded from the Apple (AAPL) online store.

Phillip Lüpke, of Germany, downloaded "Monkey Drums" (Goksel Vancin Remix) by Chase Buch to push Apple to the mark. The tech giant announced Wednesday that it had given Lüpke an iTunes gift card worth 10,000 euros -- about $13,500 -- as a reward.

"We are grateful to our users whose passion for music over the past 10 years has made iTunes the number one music retailer in the world," Apple software executive Eddy Cue said in Wednesday's news release.

Apple has made a habit out of rewarding customers who push them to landmark numbers. In 2012, it gave a Chinese customer a $10,000 iTunes gift card for downloading the 25 billionth mobile application from the App Store, and British customer Gail Davis received the same prize for downloading the 10 billionth app in 2011.

The previous iTunes landmark of 10 billion songs downloaded has so far been the only time such a prize was won by an American, Louie Sulcer of Woodstock, Ga. The 10 billionth song downloaded was "Guess Things Happen That Way," by Johnny Cash.

UserPostedImage

Offline Blitz  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 1:04:57 PM(UTC)
Blitz

Applause Given: 7
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
hold the presses!

My grandfather's grandfather (My Great-great grandfather) was born in Steinbach, Unterfranken, Bavaria. That is not really that close to Augsburg.

That must be close to where I am. I know Untersteinbach, so Steinbach must be around there somewhere. Great area to cruise around in on a motorcycle. I tend to just take off in some direction and ride until I'm lost, then cruise around until I find my way back.

blank
Offline wpr  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 1:09:19 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Blitz Go to Quoted Post
That must be close to where I am. I know Untersteinbach, so Steinbach must be around there somewhere. Great area to cruise around in on a motorcycle. I tend to just take off in some direction and ride until I'm lost, then cruise around until I find my way back.

now that would be fun. No Autobahn. No major highways. Just back roads. That would be a sweet way to spend a weekend. Grab a meal in whatever town you happen to be in. Sleep at whatever Inn was there when you go tired. If you stumbled across a little community party, pull in and enjoy the day.

Boy do I need a bike. Big Grin (Too expensive by car.)

UserPostedImage