Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BangTheDrum  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:08:37 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
the o line was horrendous... and lost me a fantasy matchup...
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:14:00 AM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 683
Applause Received: 707
I'll start with the announcers....it was probably kornhole who said, after they showed a comparison of BF first game and Aaron Rodgers first game, that it was what the Packer fans were going to want to see every game.
IMHO that is crap, IMHO the 2008 season is here for real and most Packer fans are not going to worry about what Brett did, they are just concerned about the play of the 2008 Green bay Packers!!!!

Those of us who want to keep track of Brett will do so, to continuously shove the comparisons down the throats of all Packer fans is stupid and hopefully these clowns will realize this sooner than later.

Now to the game.

After getting off to a shaky start, Congratulations to AR, he played a solid game. Got his first win as a starter, and showed a lot of leadership.

I was dissapointed with the way the coaches sat on the ball at the end of the 1st half, letting the clock run down, instead of letting the offense try to get closer or even score a td, there were 25 seconds and The Pack still had a timeout. Really hurt when the FG attempt was blocked.

Then at the end of the game The Packers just sat on the ball instead of trying to make a first down, but the defense came through and got the turnover and the team got the win which is the most important thing.

Too many penalties on the O-line, but nothing that can't be fixed at practice.

The Defense came up with the big play when they needed it. Vikings run game is one of the better they will face, a few big gains had to be expected.

Special teams were the difference in the game!!!!!

It was ugly at times but a win is a win in the end that is all that counts.

On to Detroit and the Tiggers, let's hope the team is focused on Detroit and not looking ahead to Dallas, this(Detroit) is setting up as a classic "trap game", take them one at a time boys and The Pack will be fine.
Offline Greg C.  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:31:30 AM(UTC)

Applause Received: 48
" said: Go to Quoted Post
From my seats it was GREAT..

On 2 of Rodgers runs i think he took off to early, instead of passing it..I know the 1st longer run he had, I CLEARLY saw 2 wr's ( Jennings and Driver ) break a pattern off and they were both WIDE open 20 yards down.. but Rodgers ran it..

On screen they might have been, but through his eyes they weren't, or he wasn't sure about it for whatever reason. I like that he knows to go to his contingency plan if things aren't good enough(in his eyes).

With that said, they'll watch the film, and if Mike McCarthy sees what you seen, it'll be drilled into him.

Still made the 1st but it appeared that he was set to run on those few occasions to get the credit for himself..

Just my thinking...

That's just silly talk.

From MY SEATS..Meaning I was at game and watched them get open..so wasn't from the screen...

It's just a theroy of mine that he wanted to give it an extra 200% to do stuff on his own to just shut people up..

And I didnt go into this game thinking that, just sort of thought about it after seeing the 2nd run of his when players were open..I also think if this is the case he only wanted to do it in THIS game

It does sound silly, but it also sound logical, or so i thought?

This is hard for me to believe because QB's get more credit (and better stats) for completing passes than they do for running the ball. When I watch the game a second time, I will look for those receivers getting open. But it is awfully hard to criticize the decision-making of a QB who went 18 for 22.
Offline digsthepack  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:34:46 AM(UTC)

Applause Received: 7
Good call on the punter....he buried those guys on the sideline and let coverage do their thing. Special teams truly look special.

Good health to you, Mr. Blackmon.

Jared "all mouth, no game" Allen.....meet Cliffy!

Big grease is damn near immovable.

Rodgers looked wonderful in his first start...we have ourselves a QB.

I had called it before, and was glad to see Mike Montgomery really come into form....inside, outside...didn't matter...he made some noise as did Jenkins. Good on you D line!!

Listening to KFAN (MN sports radio) right now.....oh, the wining and excuse making!! Friggin' hilarious!!

TT, MM...great job!!
Offline IronMan  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:44:58 AM(UTC)

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 134

Then at the end of the game The Packers just sat on the ball instead of trying to make a first down, but the defense came through and got the turnover and the team got the win which is the most important thing.

Yeah that always drives me absolutely crazy. That and "prevent" defense. We should have tried to get one first down in that situation. THEN sit on it. We basically just gave them the ball with 2 minutes left. Yeah our defense came through, but why just GIVE them another chance to score? I have never liked that strategy, and never will.

And no I would not have complained if they would have turned the ball over trying to get the first down. Had that happened, so be it. At least they are trying to get a first down.
Offline millertime  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:53:42 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 31

On 2 of Rodgers runs i think he took off to early, instead of passing it..I know the 1st longer run he had, I CLEARLY saw 2 wr's ( Jennings and Driver ) break a pattern off and they were both WIDE open 20 yards down.. but Rodgers ran it..

Aaron Rodgers might have seen his receivers slightly open downfield, but decided to take the sure-fire 10 yard run, instead of the pass which is could easily be off-target, dropped, intercepted, etc.

The QB has got to weigh the risk vs. reward of each decision during the game and only has a split second to do so.

Getting a sure-fire first down is better than risking a 20+ yard pass in a close game.
Offline longtimefan  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:24:40 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Aaron Rodgers might have seen his receivers slightly open downfield, but decided to take the sure-fire 10 yard run, instead of the pass which is could easily be off-target, dropped, intercepted, etc.

The QB has got to weigh the risk vs. reward of each decision during the game and only has a split second to do so.

Getting a sure-fire first down is better than risking a 20+ yard pass in a close game.

Yes I am fully aware of that..but my vantage point I saw the entire field and was wondering WHY..

All your reasons could have been why...He knew he could get 10 yards..

** edit **

Just realized that Brett would have thrown it, might take some getting used to a running q/b now
Offline warhawk  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:41:16 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 268
Other than some stupid penalties on their part the offensive line did a great job. If you remember they were going to get killed by the Vikes "D" line but we give up 0 sacks and 130+ yards running against the best run defense in the business.

The good news is we win while not playing a great overall game against a key opponent.

Rodgers was unbelievable for all the pressure that guy was under and what he did out there. IF the "0" line doesn't take it away he gets another 70+ yards and totals two TD's which would have put him well over a 100 rating for the game.

The "O" line was sloppy and the defense inconsistant at times but Rodgers was steady as a rock.
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:41:56 AM(UTC)

Good call on the punter....he buried those guys on

Listening to KFAN (MN sports radio) right now.....oh, the wining and excuse making!! Friggin' hilarious!!

Oh hells yes -- it's the best thing about living here, listening to the FAN after a Pack win. :compress:
Offline warhawk  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:50:39 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 268

Yeah that always drives me absolutely crazy. That and "prevent" defense. We should have tried to get one first down in that situation. THEN sit on it. We basically just gave them the ball with 2 minutes left. Yeah our defense came through, but why just GIVE them another chance to score? I have never liked that strategy, and never will.

And no I would not have complained if they would have turned the ball over trying to get the first down. Had that happened, so be it. At least they are trying to get a first down.

The holding penalty on Tausher takes all that away. Trying to go for it at that point is pure stupidity. That was the WORST penalty of the night because it stops the clock. Otherwise the Vikes get it back with about a minute twenty and no time outs. If you let a team go seventy five yards in that case you deserve to lose.

The Packers made the right call on that series. Had there been another minute on the clock or so you make more of an effort for a first down but they were not anticipating Tausher to make a bone head play and give the Vikes 40 more seconds.
Rss Feed