Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline doddpower  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:14:02 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,090
Applause Received: 528

I've yet to be convinced that Barrett Jones is anything more than a good player across multiple positions. I'm not so sure he'll ever be "great" at any single position. Obviously such a versatile player would be valuable to most teams, but I'd rather have a "great" player at a single position than a decent player at three. The criticisms against him, such as him being a "technician" and lacking a nasty side just doesn't sound like what the Packers need out of their first round pick. I would love if they drafted him in the 2nd round, but I just don't think he has the nastiness needed to excel at any one position. Although, he very well good be a solid center. Otherwise, I worry he will just be a good player. Admittedly, I am no where near an expert, however. I also read somewhere that his playing weight was around 290, despite his listed weight being higher. I'm not sure how stout or strong he is at the point of attack, either.

As I said, though, I would love to see him as the Packers center of the future with a second round pick, even if it meant moving up a little.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 2/19/2013(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:31:36 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 409

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I've yet to be convinced that Barrett Jones is anything more than a good player across multiple positions. I'm not so sure he'll ever be "great" at any single position. Obviously such a versatile player would be valuable to most teams, but I'd rather have a "great" player at a single position than a decent player at three. The criticisms against him, such as him being a "technician" and lacking a nasty side just doesn't sound like what the Packers need out of their first round pick. I would love if they drafted him in the 2nd round, but I just don't think he has the nastiness needed to excel at any one position. Although, he very well good be a solid center. Otherwise, I worry he will just be a good player. Admittedly, I am no where near an expert, however. I also read somewhere that his playing weight was around 290, despite his listed weight being higher. I'm not sure how stout or strong he is at the point of attack, either.

As I said, though, I would love to see him as the Packers center of the future with a second round pick, even if it meant moving up a little.

For what it's worth, he reminds me of Josh Sitton. He gets to the second level with ease and he finishes blocks. I can't emphasis the latter enough. He's a finisher. In this draft, I'm not sure one player is actually great. It's an underwhelming draft, so a good/safe pick is the route to take.

I also don’t buy that he falls to the second round. I think the mock drafts are behind on this guy.

Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:46:04 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Sounds alot like AJ Hawk. And Jordy Nelson...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Packers_Finland  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:19:21 AM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

Just because he can play multiple positions doesn't mean he's not great at any position. I agree with porky, he looks amazing as a center. Definitely worth a 1st.
This is a placeholder
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:30:26 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I can't argue with hitting the trenches with our R1. C is as big a need as NT and DE. I guess you see which position outweighs the other in draft grade, and pick that best player.

Looking at our immediate needs, I believe DE outweighs all positions. We need a really good one, and the caveat is we need "a really good one" at about 5 or 6 positions on our team: C, DE, NT, LB, S, RB.

If the choice is Jones, great. If the choice is a complete wrecking crew of a DE or a really solid C, I think I'd take the DE. EDS is a pretty good player at C. We can't say the same at DE. We don't have one.
Offline doddpower  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:14:26 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,090
Applause Received: 528

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post
Just because he can play multiple positions doesn't mean he's not great at any position. I agree with porky, he looks amazing as a center. Definitely worth a 1st.

Of course it doesn't. However, that often seems to be the case. My criticisms of Barrett Jones aren't unique to me. Many others feel the same way, but it doesn't mean we're right. At this point, he just seems a little light in the pants and not quite "nasty" enough, which is what the Packers need, imo. As I said in my original post, however, I think he has the best chance at center, which would be great for the Packers. I wouldn't be so convinced he would anything more than service at OG or OT in the NFL, though. I think Peter Konz still weighs on my mind to some extent, too.

Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:44:35 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,147
Applause Received: 1,518

I kind of blew up the thread with my other posts. Getting back on track. I had Jone as one of the players I would like to see them select. My hope is that he would slide all the way down to them in the 2nd round. That probably isn't very likely.

Here is what Walter has on him:

Quote:

Projected Round (2013): 1-3.
Skill-Set Summary: It is clear that Jones is a versatile athlete. He is an excellent technician. His hand placement and knee bend are picture perfect. There is no doubt that Jones has done a superb job of developing his technique. He has honed it in practice while going up against many future NFL linemen like Courtney Upshaw, Josh Chapman, Jesse Williams and Marcell Dareus.

As a run blocker, Jones has the strength to push defensive linemen around at the point of attack. He is a good drive blocker to be a power-man blocker with the mobility to hit blocks on the second level. Jones could fit as a zone blocker or in a power-man blocking scheme as a pro.

Jones is rock steady in pass protection. He is quick and shuffles his feet with speed rushers while having the powerful base to stand up bull rushers. Jones really did well at left tackle in 2011, and considering the need for the position in the NFL, some teams could consider him to be their blind-side protector.

I am not an expert but a 6-5 isn't that taller than the typical C in the NFL? After a quick check of the Free agents it looks like most C are around 6'3". only 2 where taller. I have no idea if that is even an issue. Kind of like when "experts" say a guys arms a re too short. What is inside the man matters more than some of these measurements.
I know he is able to play most or all of the positions on the line but if he is the C, I don't really want him moving over to G or T during a game. I want the C and Aaron Rodgers to have a rhythm as they exchange the ball 50-60 times or so a game.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline nerdmann  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:55:28 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

ESPN

Quote:
Green Bay: There’s a shortage of top-rated running backs available in this draft, and the Packers discovered a bargain find in DuJuan Harris late last season. But there’s still room to upgrade the position, and the Packers need to search for a high-upside back who can be had in the middle rounds perhaps due to a lack of polish or concerns about an aspect of his game. Four of the top seven rookie rushing leaders from 2012 were drafted in the sixth round or later. There’s backfield talent to be had past the first round, and the Packers will head out to survey the landscape of mid-round running backs available.

Call me crazy, but I still like our RBs.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:09:38 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

I will say it again.. especially after watching him for years on Saturday's.. if the Packers have a chance at Ball in the late second or third.. they are going to regret passing him up. Custom made back for this offense.. one cut runner, can catch out of the backfield and has enough power at 215 to give us the tough yardage.

I wasn't sold on Dayne, Moss, Davis or Clay coming out of Wisconsin.. but this kid is a different breed of Wisconsin backs.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline warhawk  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:00:10 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

I like the Barrett Jones pick. I don't know how anyone can say they don't know about the kid when he played excellent at Tackle as a sophmore. Playing ANY OL position in the SEC as a 2nd year players is saying something let alone Tackle.

I don't know how you can complain about the OLine and then say something like D-Smith did OK at Center. Newhouse did OK, Barclay filled in OK, and all that added up to "not so good".

Look at the competition along the OL with this pick.
You have Newhouse/Sherrod on the left, Bulaga/Barclay on the right, Lang, D-Smith, Sitton, and Jones in the middle.

The only two "for sures" would be Sitton and Bulaga. I wouldn't doubt Jones couldn't beat out Lang if he doesn't get his head out.

They can't replace the whole OL but you can get a better OL by pushing the players and the return of Sherrod and Bulaga and adding Jones would certainly make for an interesting spring.

"The train is leaving the station."
Rss Feed