Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline warhawk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:22:33 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

I don't think we give this guy enough credit.

This is the most consistant guy focused on what has to be done to reach the goals I think I have ever seen and I go back to Lombardi. Because HE is so consistant in everything he does it moves right down the line. When they don't play well he speaks in the most simple of terms about "pad level" and basics. Not earth shattering problems needing sophisticated cures.

"STACK SUCCESS" Start a succesful process and then build success' one on top of another.

The subtle tweaks in each weeks game plan and how this guy has his team PREPARED for the opponent better than any coach in the NFL is something to watch. He prides himself in two areas. He will put his players in the best position possible to be successful and they will be prepared. His focus on this is KEEN and it shows on Sunday (or Monday).

You see plays called like the TD unfortunately called back but that play tells their opponent "they are one step up on us and seem to always get us before we can get them. That's PREPARATION. Calling the right play, at the right time, against the right defense.

This is one hell of coach we have over there on the sidelines.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline gbpfan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:35:41 PM(UTC)
gbpfan

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)
Location: milwaukee

Applause Received: 3

that is why i think this team will go far this year :icon_smile:
Offline Roddyboy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:40:58 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


I think that they felt that they had ALOT to prove in this first game because of everything that went down this summer because of mistakes perpetuated by the GM in handling the Favre affair.

They all had chips on their shoulder for this game.

I think that it's something that won't carry throughout the year however. I think alot of the steam was let off in this game, however, that remains to be seen.

It had alot to do with the Packers' motivation as a whole.
blank
Offline warhawk  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:50:05 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I think that they felt that they had ALOT to prove in this first game because of everything that went down this summer because of mistakes perpetuated by the GM in handling the Favre affair.

They all had chips on their shoulder for this game.

I think that it's something that won't carry throughout the year however. I think alot of the steam was let off in this game, however, that remains to be seen.

It had alot to do with the Packers' motivation as a whole.


This was one game. I am not speaking of one game but the twenty of twenty four they put up with it. That's called consistancy. They didn't need any special motivation before and you can be pretty well assured that most that other crap is media hype that those guys listen little too anyhow.

You can call it one game that was won due to extreme motivation if you want. IMO that had about 3% to do with it and the other 97% came from focusing on fundamentals and good preparation.

I call it stacking one more success onto a pile of success and using it to move forward to next week.

Just something I learned along the way from McCarthy.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline johnny_blood  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:56:23 PM(UTC)
johnny_blood

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
When they don't play well he speaks in the most simple of terms about "pad level" and basics. Not earth shattering problems needing sophisticated cures.


"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things, blocking and tackling." - Vince Lombardi
blank
Offline warhawk  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:07:25 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
When they don't play well he speaks in the most simple of terms about "pad level" and basics. Not earth shattering problems needing sophisticated cures.


"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things, blocking and tackling." - Vince Lombardi


Amen to that. Stack 'em up baby. They don't all have to be pretty but just keep on STACKIN!
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline zombieslayer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:16:40 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Who doesn't give him enough credit?
I certainly have been giving him plenty of credit. I was the guy saying Mike McCarthy was the reason why BF was good again. I was also giving credit to Mike McCarthy when everyone else was giving all the credit to Ted Thompson .
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Roddyboy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:47:28 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


Yeah, right.

I guess it's because of McCarthy that Favre was good with the Jets last weekend too, eh? :lol:

You people just won't admit when the Packers are bad. Sherman ef'ed up the Packers, yet Favre was supposed to magically WIN with them anyway.

What kind of logic is that? It's a team game, except when Brett Favre is playing, right?

Some of you will think up every excuse in the book to cover up for Ted Thompson and blame Favre.

It's unbelievable.
blank
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:56:17 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, right.

I guess it's because of McCarthy that Favre was good with the Jets last weekend too, eh? :lol:

You people just won't admit when the Packers are bad. Sherman ef'ed up the Packers, yet Favre was supposed to magically WIN with them anyway.

What kind of logic is that? It's a team game, except when Brett Favre is playing, right?

Some of you will think up every excuse in the book to cover up for Ted Thompson and blame Favre.

It's unbelievable.



So now Mike McCarthy is a bad coach? Do you actually read anything you write?

I've always admitted when the Packers have been bad, but I haven't had to make such an admission for the past couple years, because (and you may want to sit down for this) they aren't bad.

Nobody needs to cover for Thompson, because -- other than the Favre situation, which situation I'm quite sure I don't fully understand any more than everyone else who isn't Brett, Mike McCarthy or Ted Thompson -- he hasn't done anything but rebuild a struggling team into a Superbowl contender (last year, at any rate -- and no, that isn't simply because of Favre, it's because of him and all the other players on the team).

You really need to try singing a different tune -- this whole act's been done several times over, and it's not a good enough act to warrant that much repetition.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:56:53 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, right.

I guess it's because of McCarthy that Favre was good with the Jets last weekend too, eh? :lol:

You people just won't admit when the Packers are bad. Sherman ef'ed up the Packers, yet Favre was supposed to magically WIN with them anyway.

What kind of logic is that? It's a team game, except when Brett Favre is playing, right?

Some of you will think up every excuse in the book to cover up for Ted Thompson and blame Favre.

It's unbelievable.


Dude, this has nothing to do about bashing Favre.. it was about giving Mike McCarthy a pad on the back.
Mike McCarthy game planned and coached last year with a different roster and won.. and yes the QB had a hand in it. We shall see with this roster if he can coach them up to win more than they lose.

So far.. they are 1-0. This year.

But the point is he is consistent with the players, in his approach and fits the Green Bay style.. down to earth, real and humble.

Now, if you want to discuss the Favre factor, we have set a sub forum up in which you can post. If you want to continue to bait the threads that have nothing bad to say about Favre or even are related in any form, then alternative steps will need to be taken.

Why.. it derails the threads and turns them into pissing matches that most want nothing to do with.

If you want to discuss Favre, how you feel he was wronged, please contain those posts in the Favre subforum.

Thanks in advance.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline digsthepack  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:17:15 PM(UTC)
digsthepack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 7

<Edited>

OK, mods....delete it now and slap my wrists if you must. I am just friggin's tired of these people who have to ram their "Brett is the only reason the Packers have succeeded" bullshit down our throats...in the face of ample evidence to the contrary....and in the body of threads that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the aged prima donna.

As was stated earlier, Rod meister....there is a specific place for the gibberish that seeps from your mouth with little prior cranial activity. Stay there!
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline Roddyboy  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:41:45 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, right.

I guess it's because of McCarthy that Favre was good with the Jets last weekend too, eh? :lol:

You people just won't admit when the Packers are bad. Sherman ef'ed up the Packers, yet Favre was supposed to magically WIN with them anyway.

What kind of logic is that? It's a team game, except when Brett Favre is playing, right?

Some of you will think up every excuse in the book to cover up for Ted Thompson and blame Favre.

It's unbelievable.


Dude, this has nothing to do about bashing Favre.. it was about giving Mike McCarthy a pad on the back.
Mike McCarthy game planned and coached last year with a different roster and won.. and yes the QB had a hand in it. We shall see with this roster if he can coach them up to win more than they lose.

So far.. they are 1-0. This year.

But the point is he is consistent with the players, in his approach and fits the Green Bay style.. down to earth, real and humble.

Now, if you want to discuss the Favre factor, we have set a sub forum up in which you can post. If you want to continue to bait the threads that have nothing bad to say about Favre or even are related in any form, then alternative steps will need to be taken.

Why.. it derails the threads and turns them into pissing matches that most want nothing to do with.

If you want to discuss Favre, how you feel he was wronged, please contain those posts in the Favre subforum.

Thanks in advance.


Pack93,

I took umbridge with the statement that McCarthy made Favre "good again", which implies that he wasn't good prior to McCarthy getting there. I am sick and tired of people who are allowed to take pot shots at Favre unchallenged, and not based in any kind of football reality, whatsoever.

The point that some people can't understand is that the football team the GB Packers wasn't very good in '05 and '06, yet they can't seem to separate that fact, from the fact that it was not Favre's fault that the team stunk.

I only reply when people take shots at Favre in the regular forum. I will keep my replies to the Favre forum, if that's what you prefer. Or perhaps, you just don't like contrary opinions. I don't know.

<Edited>

By the way, ILTP39...never said Mike McCarthy was a bad coach. I'd like you to show me where I said that!
blank
Offline walleye  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:57:15 PM(UTC)
walleye

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)


Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Roddy....do you have to clean up in the morning after dreaming of Brett all night?? Might explain

[size=24]OK, mods....delete it now and slap my wrists if you must. I am just friggin's tired of these people who have to ram their "Brett is the only reason the Packers have succeeded" bullshit down our throats...in the face of ample evidence to the contrary....and in the body of threads that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the aged prima donna.[/size]
As was stated earlier, Rod meister....there is a specific place for the gibberish that seeps from your mouth with little prior cranial activity. Stay there!


Yes for that you deserve an applaud i agree :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline digsthepack  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:13:53 PM(UTC)
digsthepack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/11/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 7

<Edited>
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline zombieslayer  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:15:17 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, right.

I guess it's because of McCarthy that Favre was good with the Jets last weekend too, eh? :lol:

You people just won't admit when the Packers are bad. Sherman ef'ed up the Packers, yet Favre was supposed to magically WIN with them anyway.

What kind of logic is that? It's a team game, except when Brett Favre is playing, right?

Some of you will think up every excuse in the book to cover up for Ted Thompson and blame Favre.

It's unbelievable.


Whoa! You really read into what I said.

Brett Favre, for the record, is my favorite player ever and I took enough heat on the other board for saying Ted Thompson made a HUGE mistake letting Favre go. All the regulars remember this.

I also have been on record saying many times that Favre is the best QB EVER, and was the #2 best QB in '07, and both statements I got a lot of flack for.

However, Favre was drifting during the Sherman days. He wasn't at the level he should have been. In '05, he started getting desperate and was doing downright stupid things.
Mike McCarthy calmed him down and got him back on track, and my biggest regret is Favre isn't leading us in '08, because I think this year we could win the SB with BF . Brett just needed one more year in this system and the SB is ours.

I don't appreciate being called a Favre basher, because those who know me know what I stand for.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Roddyboy  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:48:00 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


For the record, I don't think that Mike McCarthy is a bad coach, and I do think that Ted Thompson has assembled some talent on this GB Packer team. I just don't think that he has the talent, judgement, or ability to GM a team over the top, and neither did Seattle, by the way.

Where I do draw the line at is in getting rid of Favre (this will be my last mention of the "unmentionable one" in this area of the forum).

There was no good reason why Ted Thompson could not have welcomed BF back except that he wanted to remove the GB Packers from being Favre's Packer so that they could become TT's Packers. EGO. That is it.

Now if the Pack doesn't make it to the SB this year or next, I believe that Ted Thompson should be fired for making such an irresponsible move when the team was so close to going all the way with BF at the helm.

One thing Digs, since BF is not above the team does it also go that the GM Ted Thompson is NOT ABOVE THE FRANCHISE. Some people here seems to think that Ted Thompson and the franchise are one and the same. I have news for you, Digs, et. al. HE IS NOT.

<Edited>

Oh well, I'll be posting in the Favre forum from now on.
blank
Offline twebdonny  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:53:26 PM(UTC)
twebdonny

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/23/2008(UTC)


I have always liked Mike McCarthy and think his personal style of coaching will go far
in this league. He is a good leader that seems to listen to his assistants,
and take their advice before making decisions. He doesn't shoot from the hip, but builds a plan
and for the most part sticks with it, tweaking and torqing it each week in order to make it better.


DJ
Offline Roddyboy  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:56:34 PM(UTC)
Roddyboy

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)


Question: If someone mentions BF in a post, are we allowed to respond to it here, or do we somehow have to take it to the BF forum where it won't be read?

Maybe there should be a rule that no one can ever mention BF ever again regarding anything, unless it is the BF area.

(This is really my last post regarding BF in this area)

Just want to clarify because I doubt that it will be read in the other area, and I want to understand the rules.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:14:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post


I only reply when people take shots at Favre in the regular forum. I will keep my replies to the Favre forum, if that's what you prefer. Or perhaps, you just don't like contrary opinions. I don't know.


Honestly, I have no problem with contrary opinions in the least, it is the lifeblood of a forum.

But the Favre issue just keeps bringing up bad blood and destroys every single thread it is introduced to. Hence the reason for a separate section in which you can discuss your opinions surrounding one of my favorite players all time. Not to mention, no matter how we got to this point, he is no longer a Packer.

Thanks in advance for taking that type of discussion there, and trust me, you will get enough debate there to hold you over even if I am the one that will have to debate it. :lol:
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:12:20 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Now if the Pack doesn't make it to the SB this year or next, I believe thatTed Thompsonshould be fired for making such an irresponsible move when the team was so close to going all the way with BF at the helm.

.


They didnt make the SB WITH BF in last 10 years either ya know
Offline longtimefan  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:21:17 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post


There was no good reason whyTed Thompsoncould not have welcomed BF back except that he wanted to remove the GB Packers from being Favre's Packer so that they could become TT's Packers. EGO. That is it.



<Edited>



If it was EGO driven lot of the guys left over from Sherman would have been gone by now..

There is something else there that the public doesn't know..

Hate to say this but I think you are WAY off base here and you have no real proof other then mass hysteria thinking it was ego
Offline tromadz  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:33:25 PM(UTC)
tromadz

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/16/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Is this kid serious?
Offline Rios39  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:37:28 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Question: If someone mentions BF in a post, are we allowed to respond to it here, or do we somehow have to take it to the BF forum where it won't be read?

Maybe there should be a rule that no one can ever mention BF ever again regarding anything, unless it is the BF area.

(This is really my last post regarding BF in this area)

Just want to clarify because I doubt that it will be read in the other area, and I want to understand the rules.


Ok seriously< I don't think anything you say can be taken seriously. Hopefully you are just trying to troll the board (which is against the rules obviously) and get a rise out of everyone. Otherwise... well lets just leave it at that lol
blank
Offline warhawk  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:16:41 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

The thread was brought in to recognize the job Mike McCarthy has done and not so much about Ted Thompson and what he did or failed to do with Favre.

However, since we are on the subject, here you go.

I though how Mike McCarthy handled Brett Favre was very McCarthy-like.

HE was the last guy in the Packer organization to really deal with the whole Favre issue and he wanted to know ONE THING.

"Are you ready and able to let all that clutter go and come in here and play football?" He didn't want to talk to Brett about his hurt feelings or why he was mad at Ted or anything else for that matter. Had Mike McCarthy not INSISTED on Brett Favre convincing him 100% that he would let the past go Favre would still be here.

But Mike McCarthy is a FOOTBALL COACH. He doesn't give a rats ass how many TD's Brett Favre threw last year or in his career. Your either all in or your out and Mike McCarthy has never looked back on it either. I doubt he ever will.

Mike McCarthy stacks success'. After game one he's got one to build from.

and that's all he's after this week. I like that.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline zombieslayer  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:52:33 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Um...

Could we go back to discussing Mike McCarthy and recognizing the contributions he's done to the Green Bay Packers?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

28-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / stevegb

28-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann