Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djcubez  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:41:25 PM(UTC)
The Packers rolled out the red carpet for Aaron Rodger's in sloppy fashion. So sloppy in fact, that it looked as if the offense was trying to score in the wrong end zone. The first two drives of this game, while racking up plenty of possession time, lost more yards through penalties eventually resulting in a 1-and-33 situation. The next few plays reminded me of the reason we got rid of Mike Sherman; poor play-calling. I can't remember the last time I saw such conservative gameplan. For us Packer fans who have never witnessed a longer offseason it seemed as if were in store for a much longer regular season. Surprise, surprise, that was about to change.

. [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=82]Read More...[/url].
MassPackersFan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:28:00 AM(UTC)
Grant was really sore by halftime. He'll get more carries later on, don't you worry!
Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:23:16 AM(UTC)
And even with all that, we STILL won!!!
Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:55:30 AM(UTC)
I am willing to forgive the O-line for all the penalties, because the pass protection was very good. I doubt very much that we will see that many penalties from the O-line in one game again this season. By the way, I don't think they are really all that young and inexperienced. Colledge, Spitz, and Moll are all in their third seasons now. They should be entering their primes. But Colledge and Moll have already been passed up by rookie Josh Sitton, who will most likely return to the lineup in a couple weeks, when his injury heals. Hopefully we can get Wells back in there very soon as well.

Clifton had three penalties and Tauscher had one, so the older guys had their share of screw-ups. And from what I've heard, Moll's penalty on the would-be Driver TD was not his fault. When the QB checks out of a running play at the line of scrimmage without telling anyone but the receiver, you run the risk of a lineman getting downfield.
eap33  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:45:24 PM(UTC)
What was the deal with Mike McCarthy running down the clock 21 seconds on 3rd down to kick a fieldgoal?! Coulda taken another shot at the endzone and still had plenty of time to kick.

Not to mention the fact that the kick was missed :-s :mad:
DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:48:47 PM(UTC)
He did call the game a bit too conservative in spots. I hope he gets back some edge as the season goes on. If you have confidence in Rodgers, then do not EVER second guess yourself when making calls to try and put the game away. In the Vikings game, they made a gutsy call on 4th and 1 and it worked out for them big. It got them RIGHT back into the game. That is the kind of mentality we need to put into action.
Greg C.  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:43:26 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
What was the deal with Mike McCarthy running down the clock 21 seconds on 3rd down to kick a fieldgoal?! Coulda taken another shot at the endzone and still had plenty of time to kick.

Not to mention the fact that the kick was missed :-s :mad:


Here's the deal: If he had called a timeout right away, then ran the third down play, and it ended with a sack or a completion in bounds, there probably would not have been time to get the field goal unit onto the field (a spike is not an option on fourth down, of course).

If he had saved the timeout, they could've gotten the play off with maybe 20 seconds left, but because they were already in field goal range, the only useful play would be an end zone heave, which the Vikings would be expecting. This would have a very low chance of success, and they would have run the risk of an interception, or more likely, a sack or penalty (there had been plenty of those already) which would turn a short field goal into a long one.

So McCarthy went for the "sure" three points to turn it into a two-score game. But then Crosby inexplicably took a divot and missed it. Yes, McCarthy played it conservatively, but it was justified. If they had passed on third down, there would have been a much better chance of a bad outcome than a good one.
djcubez  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:25:02 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
What was the deal with Mike McCarthy running down the clock 21 seconds on 3rd down to kick a fieldgoal?! Coulda taken another shot at the endzone and still had plenty of time to kick.

Not to mention the fact that the kick was missed :-s :mad:


Here's the deal: If he had called a timeout right away, then ran the third down play, and it ended with a sack or a completion in bounds, there probably would not have been time to get the field goal unit onto the field (a spike is not an option on fourth down, of course).

If he had saved the timeout, they could've gotten the play off with maybe 20 seconds left, but because they were already in field goal range, the only useful play would be an end zone heave, which the Vikings would be expecting. This would have a very low chance of success, and they would have run the risk of an interception, or more likely, a sack or penalty (there had been plenty of those already) which would turn a short field goal into a long one.

So McCarthy went for the "sure" three points to turn it into a two-score game. But then Crosby inexplicably took a divot and missed it. Yes, McCarthy played it conservatively, but it was justified. If they had passed on third down, there would have been a much better chance of a bad outcome than a good one.

You're right but it could have all been avoided if they hadn't thrown a 3 yard flat route in-bounds on 2nd down.
Greg C.  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:43:31 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
You're right but it could have all been avoided if they hadn't thrown a 3 yard flat route in-bounds on 2nd down.


Yeah, that was Brandon Jackson failing to get out of bounds. I think there were two plays in a row where he caught short passes and failed to get out of bounds. But the first priority was to get into field goal range. I would've liked to have seen some more throws downfield, but maybe there just wasn't anybody else open.
Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 8:23:28 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He did call the game a bit too conservative in spots. I hope he gets back some edge as the season goes on. If you have confidence in Rodgers, then do not EVER second guess yourself when making calls to try and put the game away. In the Vikings game, they made a gutsy call on 4th and 1 and it worked out for them big. It got them RIGHT back into the game. That is the kind of mentality we need to put into action.

I agree 100%.
But i THINK it was because of the circumstances. Rodgers first game and all.
I think now that he has seen that Rodgers isn't going to choke, he will open things up again.
zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 1:35:11 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

You're right but it could have all been avoided if they hadn't thrown a 3 yard flat route in-bounds on 2nd down.


Bingo!
That whole drive was bad clock management.

Now, I hope some moron doesn't read this as complaining, but rather a learning experience. You learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them. I'd like to see better clock management as the season progresses.
zombieslayer  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 1:36:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He did call the game a bit too conservative in spots. I hope he gets back some edge as the season goes on. If you have confidence in Rodgers, then do not EVER second guess yourself when making calls to try and put the game away. In the Vikings game, they made a gutsy call on 4th and 1 and it worked out for them big. It got them RIGHT back into the game. That is the kind of mentality we need to put into action.


Perfect!
+1
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24-May) : Sad about Cortez Kennedy. I remember playing him in Tecmo (beast!)
Cheesey (23-May) : RIP Cortez Kennedy
Smokey (23-May) : R.I.P.Sir Rodger (007) Moore .
Smokey (23-May) : Try Fish
Porforis (22-May) : Chicken 4 dayz!
gbguy20 (22-May) : Agreed
Smokey (21-May) : Yes, I like Chick-fil-a .
Smokey (21-May) : Rabid Chicken ? LOL
rabidgopher04 (21-May) : Chick fil a
Zero2Cool (20-May) : Penguins & Bad Guys Tied 2 apiece! LETS GO PENS!
Smokey (20-May) : Who sells the best Chicken Sandwich ? Wendy, the King, McD, etc. ?
Smokey (20-May) : Just Visiting ? Join and post today !
Zero2Cool (18-May) : Screw you. (signed Pens fan)
TheKanataThrilla (18-May) : Go Sens!!! Will be in the crowd for the Friday game.
Smokey (18-May) : E.Lacy makes weight in Seattle by 2 lbs. (253 lbs.)
buckeyepackfan (17-May) : Blount signs 1 year deal with Eagles.
DarkaneRules (14-May) : and still! Miocic & Jedrzejczyk
Zero2Cool (13-May) : RP ... you mean Go Pens ... I fix for you.
RaiderPride (13-May) : Gotta Love P.K. T.K.T. I agree.. Go Preds.
Smokey (12-May) : CB Kevin King signs 4 yr deal, no 5th year option .
TheKanataThrilla (12-May) : Go Nashville in the West
TheKanataThrilla (12-May) : My son is wearing his Mario Lemieux Pens shirt and my daughter is wearing he Sens shirt. We win no matter what.
Zero2Cool (11-May) : Aaron Nagler:Packers announce first training camp practice to be held Thursday, July 27
Zero2Cool (11-May) : Capitals are dirty weak trash.
Zero2Cool (11-May) : NHL is great! PENGUINS!!!!
yooperfan (10-May) : Screw the NBA and the NHL, neither are worth watching!
wpr (10-May) : hahaha. Poor Bettman. Worth the price to see it.
TheKanataThrilla (10-May) : Bettman would blow a gasket if it was an all-Canadian finals. I want Nashville as I am a huge Mike Fisher fan.
Smokey (10-May) : Cheap Shot ? I think not .
wpr (10-May) : Thrilla how about an all Canada Finals?
TheKanataThrilla (10-May) : Pens tomorrow. Screw you Caps for the cheap shot on Crosby.
TheKanataThrilla (10-May) : Go Sens. Want to see the Sens pull it out tomorrow.
DarkaneRules (9-May) : that's a good thing. means the players are staying out of trouble
DoddPower (9-May) : awfully quiet in here
DoddPower (3-May) : darn
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2017 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 7:30 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 3:25 PM
BENGALS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 8 @ 3:25 PM
at Cowboys
Sunday, Oct 15 @ 12:00 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 AM
- BYE -
Monday, Nov 6 @ 7:30 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
RAVENS
Sunday, Nov 26 @ 7:30 PM
at Steelers
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 10 @ 12:00 PM
at Browns
Saturday, Dec 23 @ 7:30 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions
Saturday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
at Panthers
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Porforis

9h / Around The NFL / PackFanWithTwins

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

21-May / Packers Draft Threads / Smokey

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

18-May / Around The NFL / Smokey

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

Headlines