Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:34:23 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Man, this might be the absolute perfect time to trade Graham Harrell.

The QBs in this draft are considered a relatively weak class. There are a number of teams looking for a starting QB: AZ, NYJ, CLE, KC, PHI and BUF. All six sitting near the top of the draft. If we could trade him for an R2, I'd swing away. Who knows?

Harrell has 2 seasons under what is considered one of the best QB coaches in the game in McCarthy, watching a league MVP in Rodgers the whole way. Harrell could hold more trade value than we might think, especially in this weak draft class for QBs

I would LOVE to see it happen.

Check this out:
"Frank Scelfo, the Jaguars’ new quarterbacks coach, caught some heat this week for insisting Jacksonville starter Blaine Gabbert would be the first passer taken in this year’s draft.

"If you graded him out right now, this is his draft class. If he were coming out — and the quarterback draft class the way it is — would he be the top guy taken? I think the answer is yes," Scelfo told The Florida Times-Union.

People mocked Scelfo last week, but guess what? He’s absolutely right."
http://msn.foxsports.com...franchise-players-021813

I've read comments recently by John Elway alluding to how poor this class is for teams looking to add a QB.

I think Harrell would be a superior QB to any available, and IMO better than Gabbert. Ted Thompson should take a page from Ron Wolf, and recognize the value of trading QBs that have been in the system. Trade away Ted!
Sponsor
Offline Porforis  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:49:14 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

You could, but...

1. What sort of a draft pick would we get for him? 4th at best?
2. We would need to draft a QB from a weak class, trade for someone, or elevate someone from the practice squad to back up Rodgers.

I do NOT think Harrell is going to develop into a reliable backup, at least in Green Bay. So while it'd be nice to get something for him, are we really going to get more for him than we'd need to give up?
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:27:23 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

He would be worth more like a 6th at best. You are really overstating how bad the QBs in the draft are. Harrell is a guy who wasn't even draftable and hasn't even done anything to show that he's any good. He's worth absolutely nothing IMO.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 2/23/2013(UTC), johnclifton on 2/23/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:32:09 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

IMO, no way he's worth less than R3.
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:38:57 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,306
Applause Received: 577

Matt Flynn gets traded before Harrell, imo. Possibly Mike Vick too. Then there's guys like Brady Quinn out there.

It's an interesting idea. Harrell has developed his arm strength. That's really his only big question mark. He's got the smarts.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline JustJeff  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:02:12 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Matt Flynn gets traded before Harrell, imo. Possibly Mike Vick too. Then there's guys like Brady Quinn out there.

It's an interesting idea. Harrell has developed his arm strength. That's really his only big question mark. He's got the smarts.

Harrell still isn't good under center. He was a spread quarterback in college. He still looks it. Give him two-minute drill stuff and he looks really good. But put him under center, and in about a dozen snaps, he gets stepped on twice. BJ Coleman cannot get ready quickly enough for me. And I was a huge Harrell fan when we originally signed him.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:14:54 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
Harrell still isn't good under center. He was a spread quarterback in college. He still looks it. Give him two-minute drill stuff and he looks really good. But put him under center, and in about a dozen snaps, he gets stepped on twice. BJ Coleman cannot get ready quickly enough for me. And I was a huge Harrell fan when we originally signed him.

I think Aaron Rodgers might think differently, and probably some pro personnel people.
Offline doddpower  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:42:52 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
He would be worth more like a 6th at best. You are really overstating how bad the QBs in the draft are. Harrell is a guy who wasn't even draftable and hasn't even done anything to show that he's any good. He's worth absolutely nothing IMO.

lol, this. If only the NFL worked like it does in Play2Win's head. I don't even think Harrell is the best backup QB on the Packers roster (Coleman is). There's no way I would trade anything for Harrell if I were a GM. If I needed a QB that bad, I'd gladly spend a 2nd or a 3rd on someone like Mike Glennon from NC State who is massive and at least has a rocket arm. Almost like a poor-man's Joe Flacco, just needs time to develop. Glennon is >>>>>>>> Harrell. His success will just be judged by what type of situation he goes to. There are others that are better, too. Flynn is was better than Harrell. The list goes on and on. Harrell is probably one of the worst backup QBs in the league, or at least among them, despite what QB school he has went through.

Silly season is officially underway, for some.

Edited by user Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:33:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:22:19 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,846
Applause Received: 2,004

Sure, do we need a bag of Doritos?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
porky88 on 2/23/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:24:09 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
lol, this. If only the NFL worked like it does in Play2Win's head.

No shit. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You, sir, are obviously not a Harrell believer. I am. No sweat. I do find it a bit humorous.

I don't know how you categorize him as one of the worst backups in the league. But, as you say, its silly season.
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:46:09 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 125
Applause Received: 89

If I am not mistaken his only game film from 2012 has him fumbling in the red zone and kneeling. Big Grin
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Packers_Finland  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:33:18 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 44

With absolutely nothing to show that he belongs in this league after going undrafted, I doubt any team would even give a conditional 7th rounder for him.
This is a placeholder
Offline doddpower  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:53:32 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
No shit. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You, sir, are obviously not a Harrell believer. I am. No sweat. I do find it a bit humorous.

I don't know how you categorize him as one of the worst backups in the league. But, as you say, its silly season.

Part of has to do with the fact he wasn't even able to be a part of the NFL for awhile, meaning no other teams wanted him. Then it's his noodle-like arm and average accuracy. His unimpressive preseason, and mistakes during the only time he was actually needed in the regular season. It's not that I think he's useless, I just saw more potential out of BJ Coleman than Harrell, in the long run. I can understand why Harrell was kept as the #2 this season given the circumstances, but I don't see a lot to work with. At least Coleman has a big arm. All I see out of Harrell is average at best and mostly below average. He also doesn't have any NFL experience to fall back on. Add all of those things together and a team would be hard pressed to have a worse back-up QB. Of course he could make some huge jump this off season, as any player could, but I'm not expecting it. Hopefully Coleman gets the mental part of the game down good enough this off season to take the number 2 spot. He looks like someone that might actually have a chance to be a solid backup. Either way, I'm sure Ted Thompson will have his eyes on some QBs in this draft is they happen to fall a bit. I'm rooting for BJ Coleman, though.
Offline JustJeff  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:53:40 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I think Aaron Rodgers might think differently, and probably some pro personnel people.

I don't even know what that means. Aaron might... Think

He's been with us three years. Flynn made an obvious quantum leap in that span. Harrell has not.

In the preseason, working against KC's defense - despite being late in the game, KC still had many starters on the field - Harrell looked very good. He posted a perfect passer rating of 158.3, but the one caveat is that it was strictly shotgun, all hurry up, all spread. It's what he did in college.

In the first three preseason games, before the KC game, he struggled mightily. He went 32 of 63 for 261 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs. That's barely over 53 for a passer rating.

Any team interested isn't going to look at the four passes he threw in the regular season. They'll look at that preseason tape. He looks great in the gun, but he's shaky at best under center.

UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:26:07 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 109
Applause Received: 126

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I don't even think Harrell is the best QB on the Packers roster (Coleman is).

Aaron Rodgers is all right too. Maybe in a couple years he'll turn into something.

Do you like bacon?
Rss Feed