Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:49:49 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,306
Applause Received: 577

ESPN

Quote:
“Our special teams in a number of areas was about as good as we've played in our time there in Green Bay, and Randall is a big part of that,” McCarthy said at the Scouting Combine on Friday. “I hope he’s not playing next year. That’s really the responsibility of the rest of the skill players in the locker room. He’s someone who spent a lot of time this time last year developing packages for him, as far as putting him in the backfield and so forth. I prefer not to play him on special teams. We’ll let time answer that.”

So much for "not playing scared."

Quote:
Cobb played 635 snaps last season on offense and another 138 on special teams for a total of 773 over 15 games. The game he missed, in the Week 17 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, was a result of an ankle sprain he suffered on a kick return the previous week. Cobb has three touchdown returns in two seasons on special teams, but he will enter 2013 as arguably the Packers' top offensive playmaker. That status almost requires a transition on special teams.

If we were gonna start "playing scared," couldn't we have done so sooner, before we put a rookie on punt returns during a key playoff game. /endofbitchsession.

Edited by moderator Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:13:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Sponsor
Offline doddpower  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:53:56 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

You see it as "playing scared." I see it as just managing risks. Special teams are for the bottom of the roster guys, not arguably the number 1 offensive weapon. Honestly, I'd almost be OK with no chances ever taken on special teams so long as they don't turn the ball over. I know that's a bit extreme, but I'd prefer starting at the 20 yard line every drive than turn the ball over and never even give the offense a chance. Currently, the Packers receiving group is still formidable, but without Jennings they don't have the same depth as last season.
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:03:39 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

It isn't like Cobb was all-world and irreplaceable as a returner last year. If he was the best returner in the NFL or something then maybe it could be considered "playing scared" but he hasn't really been all that special on returns outside of a couple here and there. Not to mention kick/punt returns are such a small aspect of the game. It's not worth the risk for what he brings to offense.
Offline doddpower  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:10:11 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
It isn't like Cobb was all-world and irreplaceable as a returner last year. If he was the best returner in the NFL or something then maybe it could be considered "playing scared" but he hasn't really been all that special on returns outside of a couple here and there. Not to mention kick/punt returns are such a small aspect of the game. It's not worth the risk for what he brings to offense.

And as we've seen with D. Hester, trying to do too much with a player can often limit them to some extent at what they originally did best.

Online nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:21:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,306
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
You see it as "playing scared." I see it as just managing risks. Special teams are for the bottom of the roster guys, not arguably the number 1 offensive weapon. Honestly, I'd almost be OK with no chances ever taken on special teams so long as they don't turn the ball over. I know that's a bit extreme, but I'd prefer starting at the 20 yard line every drive than turn the ball over and never even give the offense a chance. Currently, the Packers receiving group is still formidable, but without Jennings they don't have the same depth as last season.

Mike's words, not mine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:26:20 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,846
Applause Received: 2,004

"Our special teams in a number of areas was about as good as we've played in our time there in Green Bay and Randall is a big part of that. I hope he's not playing next year. That’s really the responsibility of the rest of the skill players in the locker room. He's someone who we spent a lot of time this time last year developing packages for him, as far as putting him in the backfield and so forth. I prefer not to play him on special teams. We'll let time answer that." - Mike McCarthy.

So, we finally hear what we all (most of us) wanted to hear and we're gonna chastised him for it? Perhaps he has had time to think things through, things such as you know the number one WR most surely leaving, thus, making Randall Cobb more valuable?

You don't want your coach saying "yeah next season we will take him off special teams because we do not expect Greg back" because that tells you he's thinking of NEXT SEASON and not NEXT GAME.

C'mon people ... get with it or get a spanking!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:49:56 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,752
Applause Received: 1,321

I can live with Cobb being pulled off ST. I rather expected it this upcoming season. Returns tend to be done by the guys who are not starters or heavily involved in the offense. I am a little surprised that Mike said so now before the draft.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Porforis  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:15:15 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
And as we've seen with D. Hester, trying to do too much with a player can often limit them to some extent at what they originally did best.

Cobb was never Hester on special teams, and Hester isn't what he used to be. And that being said, Cobb is quite a bit better on offense than Hester was, although maybe that's just a result of better people around him than Hester (then again, that's also an argument for Cobb reserved for offense).

Regardless, while I see some value in comparing the two situations, Cobb and Hester are NOT equivalent. If we were in a situation like we were in 2010 I think where our options to return punts were Tramon Williams or random WR, absolutely keep Cobb in there. But while Ross muffed one in a big game, he's shown explosiveness and field vision as well. At least give the kid some more chances. And if he stinks it up in the preseason, I'm sure we'll see Cobb in there again assuming someone else doesn't raise eyebrows.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 10:04:53 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Seems like common sense to me with Gregg most likely gone.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 12:16:43 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 260
Applause Received: 226

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Seems like common sense to me with Gregg most likely gone.

Agreed, plus I liked the flashes that Jeremy Ross showed last season. Just give him a full off-season practicing as the team's kick/punt returner and full season before putting him in that position in the playoffs... Whistle
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed