Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages«<
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#101 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:26:04 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

I think the Packers are better off letting Jennings hit the market and if the money is right, resign him at that point. I just happen to think the tag is too large of a commitment to Jennings if he signs it and plays only the one year. Think Jones a couple of seasons ago.

Not to mention.. Greg doesn't want the tag and that could make the situation relatively toxic..

Quote:
One thing Jennings would not be excited about: The possibility of Packers putting the franchise tag on him – which is an option, given his injury-plagued season, and the relatively manageable cost of roughly $10 million.

Asked if the tag was a slap in the face, Jennings replied, “Yes. Nothing good about it. You don’t see (New England wide receiver) Wes Welker smiling about it.

“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings.. to me, it just isn't a sound decision in terms of value vs performance.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Yerko on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#102 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 12:18:49 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Greg Jennings wrote:
“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#103 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 12:52:33 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.

I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. Big Grin
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
dhazer on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#104 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 1:03:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings..

Yeah, they are not in that position. I would love to have him back, playing for GB, but not at any price.

Let's put it this way. I'd rather take that money and sign both Chris Canty and Cullen Jenkins. That would make our team much better overall.

Message modified by user Monday, February 25, 2013 1:22:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Porforis  
#105 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 1:31:35 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. Big Grin

Or if he likes Wisconsin, I'm sure he can find countless businesses that'd hire him more based on who he is rather than his skills. Wasn't there another Ram rookie that was a used car salesman for a while? If I had two people offer me the same deal on equivalent cars and one of them was Greg Jennings, guess who I'd buy from?
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#106 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 1:32:01 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

I had to applaude you because you must have read what I posted in another thread :) Yaaaaaaa someone finally read what I put lol

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline JustinAVA182  
#107 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 1:43:09 PM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

Jennings said it from day one when this started.. its a business (small example)
Quote:
“It is what it is. Everyone hopes to stay where they were drafted, but the reality of it is it’s a business. So understanding that and being mindful of that, I have to stay afloat and again make sure that all of my ducks are in a row.”

(On if he would consider playing for the Minnesota Vikings) “Honestly, it’s one of those situations where like I said, it’s a business. So it’s pretty much whatever would be the right fit for myself as well as my family as far as living accommodations, that’s where we’re going to end up…Absolutely [I consider Minnesota an option].
So he should understand no matter what Teddy does right? Think
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/25/2013(UTC), wpr on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#108 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 10:24:51 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 204
Applause Received: 439

do you guys think he will get the big
payday considering his injuries the
last few seasons? and do you think he's
worth the franchise tag? I really want
to know what you all think.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#109 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:37:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
do you guys think he will get the big
payday considering his injuries the
last few seasons? and do you think he's
worth the franchise tag? I really want
to know what you all think.

I think he's gonna experience exactly what happened to James Jones.

He's gonna test the waters and find out no one wants to pay him a pot of gold. Then he'll come back and play for another ring.

Not sure how much he's got left, but I bet he's got one or two decent years left. Especially since he's gonna wanna prove it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline El3ment12  
#110 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:41:10 AM(UTC)
El3ment12

Applause Given: 32
Applause Received: 24

Worst case scenario - Greg goes to patriots which some are saying is a possibility. My god I hate the patriots
nerdmann on 2/26/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#111 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:48:15 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 Go to Quoted Post
Jennings said it from day one when this started.. its a business (small example)

So he should understand no matter what Teddy does right? Think

He should.. but we are talking about ego and emotions. It doesn't always work that way.. look no further and Cullen Jenkins as an example. But what Greg should investigate is why guys like Jenkins and Green desire to return to Green Bay after moving elsewhere.

It is not always about the money.. that said, I think Jennings is a different breed than most of the Packers players.. he seems to like to bask in the attention of the media. It might be about trying to expand upon his national presence and off field exposure.

Either way.. it seems like Jennings wants to be bigger than he currently is.. just a vibe one gets from both him and his extended family.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#112 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:50:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
He should.. but we are talking about ego and emotions. It doesn't always work that way.. look no further and Cullen Jenkins as an example. But what Greg should investigate is why guys like Jenkins and Green desire to return to Green Bay after moving elsewhere.

It is not always about the money.. that said, I think Jennings is a different breed than most of the Packers players.. he seems to like to bask in the attention of the media. It might be about trying to expand upon his national presence and off field exposure.

Either way.. it seems like Jennings wants to be bigger than he currently is.. just a vibe one gets from both him and his extended family.

Greg Jennings is avid about pursuing an acting career. He's had a couple spots in some big shows already, one I know of Criminal Minds. I wonder if his after football career plays a role in his next destination. He's got the ring, why not go far out west for money and opportunity?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#113 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:20:55 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Greg Jennings is avid about pursuing an acting career. He's had a couple spots in some big shows already, one I know of Criminal Minds. I wonder if his after football career plays a role in his next destination. He's got the ring, why not go far out west for money and opportunity?

He does believe in his smelf.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#114 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:22:20 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: El3ment12 Go to Quoted Post
Worst case scenario - Greg goes to patriots which some are saying is a possibility. My god I hate the patriots

One thing that works against us in this scenario is Ted's "GM Tree."

We've got what, FOUR current GMs out there who used to be with the Pack? They're all probably familiar with Greg, and know what he brings to the table.

And they're all in situations where they're looking for talent.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Cheesey  
#115 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:27:58 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 204
Applause Received: 439

It just bugs me when a player gets too "big for his britches".
Having Aaron Rodgers as his QB is a plus that he won't have where ever he goes. I think he will learn fast what he will be losing.

A WR won't flourish if you don't have a decent QB to throw to him.
I think Jennings sister (the NFL know-it-all) will see that her brother isn't all she seems to think he is.
Jennings had the luxery of Favre and Rodgers.

Just my opinion, of course.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#116 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:09:05 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I've said it before, I believe Gregg will be disappointed with free agency in that he's not going to get a huge payday like he's expecting. To me it seems like he(and his sister) think he's an elite receiver and teams won't see it that way. He is a very good receiver but not elite. The franchise number is, I believe the average of the top 10, which for the lack of figuring it out, would be about the 5th best. He is not near that. Maybe towards the bottom of the 10 at best or just below that.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline Pack93z  
#117 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 1:31:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Update... shocker.

No Tag.

At least per the all knowing "SOURCE". Puke

UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#118 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:00:00 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Still holding out slim hopes until Mar 12th, but looks like it's time to say farewell to Greg.

Gonna be a very young team taking the field next year unless Ted surprises everyone and jumps heavy into the FA mkt

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline nerdmann  
#119 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:31:02 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Still holding out slim hopes until Mar 12th, but looks like it's time to say farewell to Greg.

Gonna be a very young team taking the field next year unless Ted surprises everyone and jumps heavy into the FA mkt

Greg could very well get out there and experience what JJ did a couple years back. If so, he could end up back in Green Bay at a reduced price.

We'll see.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#120 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:40:51 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Greg could very well get out there and experience what JJ did a couple years back. If so, he could end up back in Green Bay at a reduced price.

We'll see.

That's the other scenario that I will hold onto after March 12th, but with Bowe signing in KC, that's one less #1 reciever that is going to be available come March 12th.

Only takes 1 team to want him and they will pay his asking price.(whatever that is)

Time to sit back and wait.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Pack93z  
#121 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:25:32 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Well the money Bowe got will probably be the ground work for a Jennings deal.. I think it is wishful thinking that the Packers are going to be in that range with the options available on the current roster and the ability this team seems to have in finding players at the position.

It was a good run Greg.. good luck.

PFTalk wrote:
We’ve got the full breakdown of the five-year deal signed by receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, here it is.

1. $15 million signing bonus.

2. $750,000 fully-guaranteed base salary in 2013.

3. $250,000 workout bonus in each year of the contract.

4. $8.75 million base salary in 2014, $4.25 million of which is fully guaranteed now and $4.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only now. The $4.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 league year.

5. $10.75 million base salary in 2015. $1.5 million is guaranteed for injury now, and it becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 (not 2015) league year.

6. $9.75 million base salary in 2016.

7. $9.75 million base salary in 2017.

It adds up to $36 million over the first three years, and $56 million over five. Of the amount, $26 million is guaranteed. $20 million is fully guaranteed now. The other $6 million becomes fully guaranteed next year.

It puts Bowe behind only Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. (Which means that the new regime views Bowe as a top five, not top 10, receiver.)

Of course, Bowe could soon slide down the totem pole. He has provided the starting point for soon-to-be free agent Mike Wallace, and if Percy Harvin gets a new deal from the Vikings or someone else, it’ll surely top Bowe’s contract.

The real question is whether Packers receiver Greg Jennings can match or beat Bowe on the open market.

UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#122 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:53:22 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post

Only takes 1 team to want him and they will pay his asking price.(whatever that is)

quote]

Or worse yet - two
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline Wade  
#123 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:58:30 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 718

Jennings is better than Bowe.

No way he signs for less than Bowe gets.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline play2win  
#124 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:30:43 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I agree Wade, that Jennings is the better WR. Seems like KC totally overpaid for Bowe. I don't think he was worth quite that much. I don't think Jennings is worth that much either, but we shall see.
Rss Feed