Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rabidgopher04  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 1:50:43 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 116
Applause Received: 130

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
so a guy can't have a recurring theme and still be a smart@SS? Face. Palm.

Not Zero, never. He's a straight shooter 100% of the time.
Do you like bacon?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 12:04:48 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 1,097

Much like Flacco's deal.. or Brady's.. Rodgers deal will be structured so that it allows the cap hit yearly to be manageable and something that will be reworked in the future.

That is not minimizing the impacts those contracts will have on our future, but it will be more in the terms of exchanging a Woodson and Pickett for a Matthews and Raji in terms of consumed cap hit. Additionally, Ted has married this team to his more or less building through the draft approach.. so for that window to be pushed even more open again.. he has to hit again this draft for fill in pieces and Mike McCarthy and co need to continue to develop from the past two draft classes.

Looking around the league, almost every contender pass the Niners at the moment are having their windows adjusted more than ours. Maybe the Pats.

The nature of a flat cap and many teams pushing out cap hits over the past couple years. The Packers haven't done much of that.. and I don't expect much of it moving forward other than Rodgers.

The Packers have known these three players were coming up.. and entrust they have a plan to manage it and remain very much in the discussion for the Lombardi yearly.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 12:27:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Much like Flacco's deal.. or Brady's.. Rodgers deal will be structured so that it allows the cap hit yearly to be manageable and something that will be reworked in the future.

That is not minimizing the impacts those contracts will have on our future, but it will be more in the terms of exchanging a Woodson and Pickett for a Matthews and Raji in terms of consumed cap hit. Additionally, Ted has married this team to his more or less building through the draft approach.. so for that window to be pushed even more open again.. he has to hit again this draft for fill in pieces and Mike McCarthy and co need to continue to develop from the past two draft classes.

Looking around the league, almost every contender pass the Niners at the moment are having their windows adjusted more than ours. Maybe the Pats.

The nature of a flat cap and many teams pushing out cap hits over the past couple years. The Packers haven't done much of that.. and I don't expect much of it moving forward other than Rodgers.

The Packers have known these three players were coming up.. and entrust they have a plan to manage it and remain very much in the discussion for the Lombardi yearly.

This is a great thread, with a lot of good thoughts in here.

I was just thinking about this window, and what it is really. Rodgers is 29. Flacco signed a 6 yr $120M deal. We also have Matthews and Raji figuring into a pretty big payout amongst just these 3 players.

Maybe Ted wants to throw an enormous SB at one or all 3 of these players to minimize cap figures going forward, and is willing to not play at all in FA, and essentially take a shot with draft development players only this season to help offset this cost.

Maybe the window is open just a crack this year, and he gambles on that by getting all three signed, with huge sums of their contracts absorbed through gigantic signing bonuses paid out in one season, playing essentially with only his drafted and current players.

That window may open far wider than ever next season, by being a good cap position, in a year where the cap increases. Front loading as much as he can this year and taking a flyer on the season, with no big FA expenditures, could work in our favor for years to come, and I wouldn't mind it if this is Ted's plan.

My own zeal to win now, and for Ted to load up in FA for a SB run this year may be seriously unrealistic for our future, especially considering what BAL had to do to make Flacco's deal work:

"In 2013, Flacco will get a fully-guaranteed $29 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary. In 2014, he's due a $15 million option bonus (guaranteed for injury) and a $6 million base salary. In 2015, it's a $7 million option bonus (guaranteed for injury) and a $4 million base salary. In 2016, he will earn an $18.2 million base salary. In 2017, the base salary increases to $20.6 million, and in 2018, it's a $20 million base." http://www.nfl.com/news/...-includes-52m-guaranteed

Ted's task is essentially to build Mario Williams & Joe Flacco-type contracts into our scale, and that's just considering Rodgers and Matthews. I'm afraid loading up, after considering this more, may not be an option. Taking the hit now and saying we are just going to offload as much high dollar contracts as possible could actually give us a more opportunities in the future. That's all banking on Rodgers playing well at age 31, 32, 33, 34, 35...

So, yeah, maybe the window is closing this year.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:14:07 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 109
Applause Received: 173

It is my understanding that Signing Bonuses are paid out in year one, but, for Cap purposes, are amortized over the length of the contract to keep this very thing from happening. I don't think it is possible to sign all 3 with big signing bonuses and put it all in this year, thus minimizing the Cap effect in years to come.

Flacco is being paid $30M in 2013 and yet his Cap hit is only $6.8M due to the $29M in Signing bonus being spread over all 6 years of the contract.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:54:30 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 442

Ted does not seem like a big fan of signing bonuses. By keeping the cap in check over his time, he has been able to work the salaries so we are never in cap hell, so he has more flexibility to pay bigger base salaries and use roster bonuses which keeps us out of cap hell going forward. Go back and look at Rodgers last deal. Of the 66 million, less that 1.5 was signing bonus. Cap space of 08 was used for a big chunk, and a Roster bonus in 09. The rest just base salary mostly with small yearly roster bonus.

It is really what keeps the team in good shape. Our dead cap money is under 1 million I believe. He is very good at getting the right players paid, and protecting the team from prorated SB hits if a player doesn't pan out or gets injured.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 2:03:35 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

One of my weaknesses is numbers, especially the cap related kind of stuff. I may have misspoke in this, and my apologies, as I was thinking of front loaded deals.

All I know is stopping for a moment in all the FA hype, and looking at Flacco's numbers, looking at Mario Williams' numbers of a year ago, and gauging what Ted is up against in getting all 3 of our guys signed is a very large task. As a fan, I'm changing my perspective with regards to our FA approach after considering this, and those insane Flacco/Williams #s.

Witnessing BAL's purge in order to re-sign Flacco looks very similar to what we are experiencing ourselves right now. Maybe our plan this season is just to line up who we have and see what happens.
Online Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:36:07 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

Yesterday Aaron Rodgers said the window has closed and now it's time to open a new window that will be open for the next four or five years. With that being said, I thought maybe the Packers will be active in free agency?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:29:19 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 361

As long as we have Aaron Rodgers, the window doesn't close.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline musccy  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:38:36 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 268
Applause Received: 265

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday Aaron Rodgers said the window has closed and now it's time to open a new window that will be open for the next four or five years. With that being said, I thought maybe the Packers will be active in free agency?

I listened to Jason Wilde's program as well and I think he was referring to the transition on the DLine most notably, but also Kuhn and Jones.

Online Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:59:58 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I listened to Jason Wilde's program as well and I think he was referring to the transition on the DLine most notably, but also Kuhn and Jones.

Aaron Rodgers wrote:
I think this is the end of a window and the beginning of a new one. This is the year when we can really open up a new window that can last for four or five years. It looks really bright. I think if you look at the core of our team, our offensive line is looking the way we want it, the receivers look incredible. We have a big-time back in Eddie (Lacy). Not sure what James Starks will do, (DuJuan Harris) is coming back.

We have a lot of things that are setting up to be really good for a long time. A lot of really good young players with Sam (Shields), Micah Hyde, Casey (Hayward), when Casey comes back (from a hamstring injury) and Morgan Burnett and Sean Richardson, and veteran guys playing well, A.J. (Hawk) had his best season, Clay (Matthews), (Ryan) Pickett, (B.J.) Raji, Johnny Jolly coming back.

This window has a chance to open up and be really bright for four or five years if you can get guys signed and keep them around. My contract is for six more years. I expect to be playing at a high level for all six of those years. We’ll see what happens after that. Maybe I’ll be able to go another three or four after that.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:11:47 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 268
Applause Received: 265

In AR's interview, he basically acknowledged that they may not be able to keep a few guys, most notably Kuhn and Jolly who he had/has become very close with.

He obviously said he sees Pickett, Raji, Hawk, etc. sticking around, but that's just PC lip service.

Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:22:21 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed