Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dhazer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 7:38:55 AM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Posts: 3,897
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 190

What do you guys think about throwing a few bucks at Joshua Cribbs? We saw what a return game can do for us and he is proven and it would take Cobb off the return game and we would probably still be as good if not better.

I was just wondering what you guys would think?
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 7:39:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,632
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

What do you define as a few bucks?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 8:17:47 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,750
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,020

My only concern with Cribbs is he is constantly banged up.. it seems never ending that he is on the injury report with knee/leg concerns.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 6:24:50 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,762
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 647

No.

The key to the return game is the people blocking. If we have decent backup talent that can block, you don't need a high priced returner. Of course being able to find quality return game blockers is open to question: since we cant even seem to find enough people who can block on offense, it's probably a crap shoot whether the team can find enough 2nd/3rd stringers from non-OL positions who can also block.

IMO, the only positions where Ted Thompson should look to free agents outside of his own are OL, DL, LB, and, maybe, DB.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 6:52:30 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,245
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

We already have this area covered with Ross. Take away that muff against the 9ers, and he did a real good job last year as Cobb's replacement. He eplodes upfield the way you're suppose to.

Isn't Cribbs long in the tooth already?
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 8:23:29 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,340
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,744
Applause Received: 1,311

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
We already have this area covered with Ross. Take away that muff against the 9ers, and he did a real good job last year as Cobb's replacement. He eplodes upfield the way you're suppose to.

Isn't Cribbs long in the tooth already?


I was thinking the same. I would rather have Ross return kicks than a FA who will be 30 before the season begins.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Mucky Tundra  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 6:44:02 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 919
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 365

Cribbs is old and special teams is dominated by young, fast bodies. Ross did fine except for the botch against SF.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 3/4/2013(UTC)
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 8:13:03 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,689
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I don't want to wax too philosophical here, but returners are the single most overrated position on the field, followed closely by wide receivers. As fans, we think they have a big impact on the game precisely because their flashy plays are so rare that they stick in our memories, whereas we tend to overlook the players who do contribute on every single play. (I could go into a long explanation of the neurophysiological mechanisms that make us unable to avoid this mistake, but for now I'll just say to look up "long-term potentiation" if you are curious.)

Returners may affect the outcomes of a few games here and there, but over the course of a season, their impact on a team's win/loss record is statistically indistinguishable from zero. A buddy of mine who is doing postdoc work in biometrics applied the statistical tools of his trade (principal component analysis in particular) to a gigantic body of data and showed this pretty convincingly. Returners hardly make a blip against the background noise.

Think about Randall Cobb, for example. As fun as he was to watch, how many games were actually decided by his return skills? None. His most dramatic return performance came in a game the Packers lost. He made much more of an impact as a receiver -- but it was an impact many other receivers could have made, especially with Rodgers throwing the ball to him. Receivers are largely interchangeable parts these days.

It would be a massive waste of money to chase down another returner in the hopes of getting a few extra yards of field position. Plenty of studies have shown that starting field position doesn't have anywhere near the effect on a team's scoring potential as the pundits and talking heads make it seem.

The Packers should be focusing on revamping the positions that would make a substantive impact in every game: putting some beef on the offensive line to protect Rodgers and finding a reliable running back would be a great start. Adding another defensive back or two would be helpful as well.

Edited by user Monday, March 4, 2013 8:39:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Yerko on 3/4/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 8:26:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,632
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

Good to have Rourke back, now to dust off my Thesaurus.com and Dictionary.com links ...

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 3 applause.
wpr on 3/4/2013(UTC), Yerko on 3/4/2013(UTC), gbguy20 on 3/4/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 9:18:29 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,884
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
I don't want to wax too philosophical here, but returners are the single most overrated position on the field, followed closely by wide receivers. As fans, we think they have a big impact on the game precisely because their flashy plays are so rare that they stick in our memories, whereas we tend to overlook the players who do contribute on every single play. (I could go into a long explanation of the neurophysiological mechanisms that make us unable to avoid this mistake, but for now I'll just say to look up "long-term potentiation" if you are curious.)

Returners may affect the outcomes of a few games here and there, but over the course of a season, their impact on a team's win/loss record is statistically indistinguishable from zero. A buddy of mine who is doing postdoc work in biometrics applied the statistical tools of his trade (principal component analysis in particular) to a gigantic body of data and showed this pretty convincingly. Returners hardly make a blip against the background noise.

Think about Randall Cobb, for example. As fun as he was to watch, how many games were actually decided by his return skills? None. His most dramatic return performance came in a game the Packers lost. He made much more of an impact as a receiver -- but it was an impact many other receivers could have made, especially with Rodgers throwing the ball to him. Receivers are largely interchangeable parts these days.

It would be a massive waste of money to chase down another returner in the hopes of getting a few extra yards of field position. Plenty of studies have shown that starting field position doesn't have anywhere near the effect on a team's scoring potential as the pundits and talking heads make it seem.

The Packers should be focusing on revamping the positions that would make a substantive impact in every game: putting some beef on the offensive line to protect Rodgers and finding a reliable running back would be a great start. Adding another defensive back or two would be helpful as well.


That said, I knew it was a mistake to put Ross back there in the playoffs. LOL. That clutch situation impacted our whole season.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline JustinAVA182  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 10:32:07 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 118
Joined: 2/25/2013(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 29

UserPostedImageI think we should just resign Woodson and have him as a return man like we used to do :) Sarcasm
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 10:38:21 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,750
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,020

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
That said, I knew it was a mistake to put Ross back there in the playoffs. LOL. That clutch situation impacted our whole season.



Same could be said for Erik " Screw setting the edge" Walden, Morgan "Piss poor Angles" Burnett, AJ "Lack elite athleticism" Hawk, etc.. etc.. etc.

Where was that dreed when Ross was sparking the team with good returns. lol.

Point is.. players are going to make mistakes.. the timing is just different. That mistake was very poor. It isn't like Cobb was sterling back there field punts either.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 11:43:12 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,884
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Same could be said for Erik " Screw setting the edge" Walden, Morgan "Piss poor Angles" Burnett, AJ "Lack elite athleticism" Hawk, etc.. etc.. etc.

Where was that dreed when Ross was sparking the team with good returns. lol.

Point is.. players are going to make mistakes.. the timing is just different. That mistake was very poor. It isn't like Cobb was sterling back there field punts either.


Just being that he's a rookie, I wouldn't use him on PR in the playoffs. Regular season is fine. It's just too big a stage. KR is fine too, just not PR. Too much pressure.

Live and learn.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error



Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

14h / Random Babble / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Jul / Around The NFL / Dexter_Sinister

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Jul / Random Babble / Pack93z

23-Jul / Random Babble / DakotaT

22-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.