Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:23:33 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post

But Aaron Rodgers covers up for a lack of running game, injured receivers, porous line. Think Harrell can?

So how about fixing the real issue of a sluggish running game, a porous line and better depth at receiver in place of committing more dollars (in which a FA QB will cost) or consuming a higher pick on a QB whereas that pick can be used on more immediate return. Or better yet.. build an ass kicking take no prisoners type of defense..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:27:20 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

You have to admit, your hypothetical situation is shifting... you were talking 16 games with Harrell. I'm saying, over the course of 16 games, we would lose more with the loss of those other players I mentioned. Maybe not. Who knows? I know damn well what Rodgers does for our team.

We gave up at least 100 yds in 7 of our last 9 games of the 2012 season, including the playoffs. We averaged 132 opponent rushing yds per game by our D in 2012. We let a rookie torch us for 444 yds in his first playoff game.... we gave up 323 yds rushing in that one game. 579 total yds of offense given up.

NFL record for most rushing yds given up to a QB. That's horrendous, and unacceptable.

Woodson's comments after that game: "They're a deep team, they're a big team, they're a fast team, they're well-coached," he said. "I look at us and maybe we've got to be bigger and faster."

We gave up 409 yds rushing to AP in just two games against MIN... Ridiculous. We spent time working on tackling drills. AP had 189 yds AFTER CONTACT in just one game.

Our last 3 playoff losses we gave up 51, 37 and 45 points. This SCREAMS we need help on D.

Conversely, we never rushed for more than 100 yds away from home last year. This SCREAMS we better learn how to run the fucking football.

Two major points of emphasis for 2013 I would say...

Message modified by user Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:00:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nerdmann  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:01:25 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 665

So we can't live without Raji? Hope he doesn't get hurt and miss any games. Oh wait. He did. So did Woodson and Matthews. All of our supposed studs on defense missed games in 2012. Did we give up yards? Yes. Win games anyway? Yes.

Of course the D needs to get better. So does the O. So do Special Teams. I doubt Mike McCarthy is satisfied with any of them.

But Aaron Rodgers covers up for a lack of running game, injured receivers, porous line. Think Harrell can?

One could argue that Aaron is more likely to abandon the run game and audible into too many deep passes down the field. Harrell would not be prone to stat whore, but would be forced to work within the system and maintain solid fundamentals.

With Harrell as your QB are you gonna abandon the running game? I don't think so. You're going to have balance. And he's not gonna be passing up open guys waiting 8+ seconds for something to develop deep.

Remember in '99 when Trent Green went down in the preseason? Rams fans thought their season was over. Up steps the next guy, you might have heard of him. Dude named Kurt Warner.

Is Harrell as good is Kurt Warner? Unlikely. But the Packers offense is stacked with talent, especially if we get Sherrod/Datko and Bulaga back. Dude's gonna have plenty of targets coming open.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:23:01 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
With Harrell as your QB are you gonna abandon the running game? .

Please smile when you read this because I am when typing. "Didn't know we had a running game to abandon..." Big Grin

thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/6/2013(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:37:55 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
You have to admit, your hypothetical situation is shifting... you were talking 16 games with Harrell. I'm saying, over the course of 16 games, we would lose more with the loss of those other players I mentioned. Maybe not. Who knows? I know damn well what Rodgers does for our team.

We gave up at least 100 yds in 7 of our last 9 games of the 2012 season, including the playoffs. We averaged 132 opponent rushing yds per game by our D in 2012. We let a rookie torch us for 444 yds in his first playoff game.... we gave up 323 yds rushing in that one game. 579 total yds of offense given up.

NFL record for most rushing yds given up to a QB. That's horrendous, and unacceptable.

Woodson's comments after that game: "They're a deep team, they're a big team, they're a fast team, they're well-coached," he said. "I look at us and maybe we've got to be bigger and faster."

We gave up 409 yds rushing to AP in just two games against MIN... Ridiculous. We spent time working on tackling drills. AP had 189 yds AFTER CONTACT in just one game.

Our last 3 playoff losses we gave up 51, 37 and 45 points. This SCREAMS we need help on D.

Conversely, we never rushed for more than 100 yds away from home last year. This SCREAMS we better learn how to run the fucking football.

Two major points of emphasis for 2013 I would say...

12 months ago, we were all screaming about the need to shut down the pass. We had given up historic numbers in passing yardage. We were opposing QB's fantasy games. 15-1 record but lots of hand wringing after a depressing loss in the playoffs. So lots of defensive players drafted. Much improvement in Pass D. Still won a lot of games. Gave up some embarrassing rushing yardage though. Funny how even when things change, they stay the same.

Offline wpr  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:40:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Ok. So as long as we get a monster at DE or LB or S, we will make the playoffs with Harrell at QB for 16 games?

Every team needs new players and depth. The Super Bowl champs in Baltimore currently have major issues at LT, MLB (2), WR and Safety. Everyone has needs. Packers are no different in that regard.

The point is that I personally have no faith in this team making the playoffs if Aaron Rodgers goes down for any serious time. Any other player can go down and I think we can survive. It was proven this year. But Harrell has no experience and, so, we have no evidence to suggest that we have an adequate backup.

We are not like everyone else. Things worked out ok for 49ers with their 'backup'. Seattle has experience. Washington looks like it did well last year with both rookie QB's. Atlanta has experience. Many teams have a veteran (castoff) at backup QB. We have novices.

Favre and Rodgers have spoiled us. I don't think we place enough value on a backup QB in today's NFL, because, frankly, the backup in Green Bay has not been relied on in 20 years. Our time is coming.

I like your passion QC. Keep it up. ThumpUp that said you are nuts. Big Grin

I think it is safe to say if Aaron Rodgers goes down for the full year GB will struggle. It doesn't matter what you do they will struggle. A couple of years ago, 2010, we had a thread where we listed the top 10 players on GB that the Packers would miss if they were injured. I put Aaron down 10 times. To paraphrase Denzel Washington as Coach Herman Boone, "You can't replace an Aaron Rodgers".

You put "backup in quotes for SF. You know that Kaepernick is the real starting qb not Smith. He is most gone. Going to KC. 1. Do you think Smith would have gotten them to the SB? I don't. Their defense may have with Smith riding along as the QB but he would not have don it. (Think 85 Bears. Mc Muffin was fortunate to be in the right place to get to the big game. They were going to be a dynasty but it didn't happen because the defense couldn't carry the whole load every single year.)

If Kaepernick goes down will Tolzien get SF back to the big game? No.

Did Atlanta, DC or Seattle make it? No.

You keep saying they need someone but I don't see you telling us WHO.

Do you want to draft Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, E.J. Manuel or Tyler Bray? This year's draft is pretty weak at QB. None of them will stand up for a full 16 game schedule.

FA's- Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, David Garrard, Chase Daniel, Drew Stanton are Rotoworld's top 5 QBs. Most are trying to land a starting job. They won't want to come and sit on the bench behind Rodgers. Even if they were other teams are considering offering them starting qb money. That leaves GB out.

What about a trade? Who do you want? How much do you think GB would have to give up to give them? I don;t see anyone I really really want to have at this time.

Quite frankly I would love to have a Pro Bowler backed up by 2 more PB at every single position. It ain't going to happen. So there has to be some weaker spots. Behind Rodgers is going to be one of them. Because with Rodgers they don't need a #2.

UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline nerdmann  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:59:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I like your passion QC. Keep it up. ThumpUp that said you are nuts. Big Grin

I think it is safe to say if Aaron Rodgers goes down for the full year GB will struggle. It doesn't matter what you do they will struggle. A couple of years ago, 2010, we had a thread where we listed the top 10 players on GB that the Packers would miss if they were injured. I put Aaron down 10 times. To paraphrase Denzel Washington as Coach Herman Boone, "You can't replace an Aaron Rodgers".

You put "backup in quotes for SF. You know that Kaepernick is the real starting qb not Smith. He is most gone. Going to KC. 1. Do you think Smith would have gotten them to the SB? I don't. Their defense may have with Smith riding along as the QB but he would not have don it. (Think 85 Bears. Mc Muffin was fortunate to be in the right place to get to the big game. They were going to be a dynasty but it didn't happen because the defense couldn't carry the whole load every single year.)

If Kaepernick goes down will Tolzien get SF back to the big game? No.

Did Atlanta, DC or Seattle make it? No.

You keep saying they need someone but I don't see you telling us WHO.

Do you want to draft Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, E.J. Manuel or Tyler Bray? This year's draft is pretty weak at QB. None of them will stand up for a full 16 game schedule.

FA's- Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, David Garrard, Chase Daniel, Drew Stanton are Rotoworld's top 5 QBs. Most are trying to land a starting job. They won't want to come and sit on the bench behind Rodgers. Even if they were other teams are considering offering them starting qb money. That leaves GB out.

What about a trade? Who do you want? How much do you think GB would have to give up to give them? I don;t see anyone I really really want to have at this time.

Quite frankly I would love to have a Pro Bowler backed up by 2 more PB at every single position. It ain't going to happen. So there has to be some weaker spots. Behind Rodgers is going to be one of them. Because with Rodgers they don't need a #2.

If Rodgers went down FOR THE YEAR during the preseason, I highly suspect Ted would bite the bullet and make some sort of a trade for Flynn.

Either way, the organization would not be folding up their tent and giving up on the season. If they went with Harrell, I think people might be surprised. Teams have been known to win Superbowls with non-HoF calibur QBs.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed