Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bakler5  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:12:07 PM(UTC)
bakler5

After two weeks anyone know who is number 1 and 2 in passes defensed?
That's right Al Harris and Chuck Woodson. I see both these two having big years. I am sick of everyone saying there are getting to be too old to play in this league. And to everyone that says Harris is slow, when is the last time anyone saw him get out ran? He has fast game speed which is all that matters.
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Sponsor
Offline Greg C.  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:19:13 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I'm with you. As I've said before, I think Woodson at 31 is still in his prime and Harris at 33 is either in his prime or just slightly past it. My only worry about their ages is that they could be more susceptible to injuries, particularly Harris, as both of them have such a physical style of play.

Harris and Woodson don't get beaten deep very often because they have such good anticipation. That's something that Ahmad Carroll did not have, which is why he sucked in spite of his speed.
blank
Offline Bigbyfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:24:16 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

Thank you for this post
blank
Offline blueleopard  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:26:46 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 74

They went against Tarvaris Jackson and Jon Kitna.

Harris got burned by Sidney Rice.

Woodson let Calvin escape with hella yards and two TD's.

They only defensed all those passes because quarterbacks no longer scared them.

I don't mean to piss on the party, but until I see those two get the best of Tony Romo and Peyton Manning, then I won't brag about them.

Woodson is money though.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline bozz_2006  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:31:48 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

I thought this was going to be a post about how Brett isn't too old to play at a high level. Thanks for starting that thread.
UserPostedImage
Offline bakler5  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:36:03 PM(UTC)
bakler5

Woodson got burned on the first touchdown because he was trying to make a great interception that he was inches off on. Hey if we are up 15 points and still got guys going all out like that in the 4th quarter then I am as happy as a pig in mud man. He went for a big play, barely missed it, and they got a touchdown, big deal that isn't what got the Lions back in the game. Woodson plays a high risk/high reward style of game. Wouldn't have it any other way. The reason the Lions came back was because McCarthy got way too complacent just like he did in the Vikings game. I don't care who we played, or what QBs they faced, we have been ahead all season as well and our passing yards against do not suggest that.
God didn't create Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers created God.
Offline evad04  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:36:56 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 77
Applause Received: 140

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

I don't mean to piss on the party, but until I see those two get the best of Tony Romo and Peyton Manning, then I won't brag about them.

Woodson is money though.

You're missing some context here, otherwise I agree with most of what you've said.

One of Calvin Johnson's TDs was with Tramon Williams guarding him. The other, Woodson did give up inside position. But both TDs could have been avoided by better safety play. Woodson should be accountable for some of it, but you can't say he gave up two TDs because it's just not the facts.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline Greg C.  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:45:05 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Woodson is money though.

You're missing some context here, otherwise I agree with most of what you've said.

One of Calvin Johnson's TDs was with Tramon Williams guarding him. The other, Woodson did give up inside position. But both TDs could have been avoided by better safety play. Woodson should be accountable for some of it, but you can't say he gave up two TDs because it's just not the facts.

Bingo. You can't expect a corner to guard a good receiver one-on-one in the middle of the field, especially a big receiver like Calvin Johnson who can't be defended once he gets inside position. There should have been a linebacker or a safety in position to prevent both of those TD's by Johnson.

Getting back to blueleopard's post, your point about Tarvaris Jackson and Jon Kitna is well-taken, but come on, Woodson and Harris have been good CB's for years now. They've done the job against better QB's. And I don't remember Harris getting burned by Sidney Rice. On the TD, Bigby had coverage over the middle and stumbled. Maybe it's a different play you're talking about. CB's are going to get burned sometimes anyway, especially when they play as much one-on-one as ours do. But as long as they don't get burned too often, they are doing their jobs.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 7:52:18 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

In defense of Woody, yes, he only got burned for one TD. The thing though is he was going for the INT. Surprise, surprise, Kitna threw a perfect pass.

The good thing about Harris is he's a workout nut, a complete nut. The way he works out, he's aging much slower than the average NFL player, which is really saying something because these guys are the best of the best.

The test for both of them is against the Cows. They not only have an elite WR, but an OL that will give their QB time to hit that WR.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline PackerTraxx  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 9:50:34 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 127

They are one of the top 2 or 3 tandems in the league. One certainly has to admire their toughness, gameness and professionalism. Woodson's ability to play hurt at a high level is off the charts. They are playing well now but I would like to see the Pack pick up a young corner that can develop into 1 or 2 high level corners within the next couple of years. The backups we have now are not the type you can win championships with as starters.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline 4PackGirl  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 9:53:24 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 161
Applause Received: 124

gawd i'm sure i'll get trashed for this comment but here goes...i don't like harris. never have, never will. i don't know why but i just have never bought into the hype over him. so...trash away or...help me understand what makes him "great" in some of your minds - i'm trying to learn here people!! :D
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 9:56:23 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,991
Applause Received: 2,285

gawd i'm sure i'll get trashed for this comment but here goes...i don't like harris. never have, never will. i don't know why but i just have never bought into the hype over him. so...trash away or...help me understand what makes him "great" in some of your minds - i'm trying to learn here people!! :D

I think great is over rating him. He is really good, but he has a weakness. Once he gets wound up, he loses his edge. We saw it against Terrell Owens and Plaxico (wow, that is a weird ass name) Burress.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 10:00:09 PM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

I use to hate Harris when we got him but I've come to like him although he does seem to have trouble when matched up with a big time WR which surprises me since I thought his in your face style would be better suited to go against a guy likke TO.
Offline Greg C.  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 11:30:42 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

There are two reasons why Al Harris tends to struggle against elite WR's:

1. He has to guard them (Woodson doesn't).

2. There are very few CB's who don't struggle when matched one-on-one with elite WR's. There are no "shutdown" corners in the league right now, as far as I know. The only one I've ever seen was Deion Sanders.
blank
Offline RaiderPride  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 11:32:03 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 124
Applause Received: 217

The last time Harris was owned was three games ago. That is a fact.

However, everyone at one time or another get's owned. We all can have a charachter building day at work. I know I have, and I know you have as well.

They are so solid. They are the best tandom in the NFL as far as my mind.
They are sneaky smart and sneaky fast. Wisdom trumps youth in so many situations.

I just watched the M.N.F. Half Time "Fastest 3 Minutes in football" Highlights....
The Boomer Yells Out "The Pack Are Back."

Chris.... They never left, so how can they back? GO PACK GO!
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Rss Feed