Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BaconDrivelMint  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:10:12 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JerseyAl wrote:
After the 2010 season, Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones was not offered a new contract and became a free agent.  Having just come off of a Super Bowl win, it was widely speculated that Jones would see some decent demand throughout the league.  Jones was looking for something in the neighborhood of $5 [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/14/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:22:48 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

I think the only team to court James Jones was the Vikings as well. There is probably a stigma on Packers WR that Aaron Rodgers + system = good WR.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline JustinAVA182  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:41:09 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

So now Packers offer sheet drops to what 7 mill?
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:13:29 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 1,556

The article is a good one but I do take issue with his statement:

Jason Perone wrote:
If you read the Twitter feeds of many Packers fans, you’d think this team hadn’t been in a playoff game in years. Sure, many of them think the Packers should sign every single free agent who comes available, age and asking price aside.

That at best is an exaggeration. At worst an outright lie. I have seen fans wish the Packers signed 1-2 FAs over a period of a few years. I have seen some that wish the Packers signed someone every year. I have not seen anyone say that want GB to sign "every FA who is available." First off thee isn't enough positions on the roster. Secondly I have not seen anyone suggest that GB needs to fill that many holes.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:17:06 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 1,556

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 Go to Quoted Post
So now Packers offer sheet drops to what 7 mill?

I don't think Uncle Teddy backtracks like that. He makes what he feels is a fair offer and stands by it. If he offered $10 I don't think he drops it to $7 because of the lack of competitors.

It is better for him and the team to welcome back a player with open arms and tell them that they are glad the player went out and checked the market so they feel comfortable that GB management is on their side. (After all he was a player once too kind of a thing.)
UserPostedImage
Glorydays on 3/14/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:34:22 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I don't think Uncle Teddy backtracks like that. He makes what he feels is a fair offer and stands by it. If he offered $10 I don't think he drops it to $7 because of the lack of competitors.

It is better for him and the team to welcome back a player with open arms and tell them that they are glad the player went out and checked the market so they feel comfortable that GB management is on their side. (After all he was a player once too kind of a thing.)

That is an interesting perspective. I tend to agree, a Thompson standing offer sheet would be just that. Maybe he comes back somewhere around 9?

Even more interesting, considering why a player like Jennings would move onto MIN? It would all have to be about the money. If they guy doesn't win there, those endorsements go away. This, over a marginal sum when the whole is considered. I think it would be a giant mistake for him to go to MIN.

Jennings is dialed in with Rodgers, one of the league's MVPs. The table is already set, especially if SJax signs.
Offline Rockmolder  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:41:43 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 272

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
The article is a good one but I do take issue with his statement:

Quote:
Jason Perone wrote:
If you read the Twitter feeds of many Packers fans, you’d think this team hadn’t been in a playoff game in years. Sure, many of them think the Packers should sign every single free agent who comes available, age and asking price aside.

That at best is an exaggeration. At worst an outright lie. I have seen fans wish the Packers signed 1-2 FAs over a period of a few years. I have seen some that wish the Packers signed someone every year. I have not seen anyone say that want GB to sign "every FA who is available." First off thee isn't enough positions on the roster. Secondly I have not seen anyone suggest that GB needs to fill that many holes.

I absolutely hate it when bloggers/beat writers do this. Like they're the exalted ones of the Packers community, who see things much more clearly than the common fan folk. Aaron Nagler does this way too much for my liking, as well.

Anyway, on topic, this falls right in line with my post about our WRs being overrated from our own point of view. Jennings just isn't that nr. 1, doesn't produce greatly outside the slot (although very decently, still), yet isn't a Welker or Amendola.

And his age and injury history aren't on his side in FA.

That said, he'd be one heck of an addition to the Vikes, if you ask me.

UserPostedImage
play2win on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 11:51:26 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Rockmolder, I think you're right.

Greg Jennings is a really interesting case in FA. He's super talented, and seems like a great teammate. In his 7 year career in GB, he had one 3 year stretch where he played in all 16 games. Each of those seasons (2008-2010) he went over 1000 yds, with 80 receptions or less.

He wants to break the bank on a deal, and I can't blame him. But, he had a really rough season to go into FA on, with less than 400 yds and 4 TDs. Mentally, I don't think he was all there, especially trying to come back from injury and knowing this may have been his last with GB. Seasons prior he proved himself just fine.

Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe cashed in for around $12M each per year. Wes Welker, arguably better than both of them, left NE for half of that. Amendola for less than that with NYG. News is Brandon Lloyd is looking to restructure his NE contract to take a pay cut and stay with the team.

I do think we overvalue some of our players. But, Jennings getting his numbers amidst a crowded WR corps speaks to his true talent. I think, if healthy, he can finish his career with GB with some huge success. I just wonder if he will want that over a bigger, even if marginally so, payday. Or, maybe not. Maybe he does break the bank and we can't afford him. This is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:59:58 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

How shrewd is Ted Thompson?

I was just thinking about Jennings leaving for MIN, and the end of his stay here in GB. Did he get his nose pushed out of joint a bit with the Randall Cobb pick back in 2011? That kid came on like gangbusters in 2012. Cobb tied Jennings' career high for receptions in just his second season with 80. He added 8 TDs, which is not bad. Was Ted seeing that far into the future with the Cobb pick? Maybe.

It sure looks like that worked. Letting Jennings go for the monster contract didn't hurt us too bad as adding Randall Cobb back in '11 keeps us relatively stocked at WR.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:24:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
How shrewd is Ted Thompson?

I was just thinking about Jennings leaving for MIN, and the end of his stay here in GB. Did he get his nose pushed out of joint a bit with the Randall Cobb pick back in 2011? That kid came on like gangbusters in 2012. Cobb tied Jennings' career high for receptions in just his second season with 80. He added 8 TDs, which is not bad. Was Ted seeing that far into the future with the Cobb pick? Maybe.

It sure looks like that worked. Letting Jennings go for the monster contract didn't hurt us too bad as adding Randall Cobb back in '11 keeps us relatively stocked at WR.

Greg Jennings was offered a contract that averaged $10 million per year. Reports are that he wanted $12. Which is probably why he didn't accept the contract and since he overvalued himself, that's probably also the time he started having disconnected comments about being a Packers player. Looking at the big picture, it makes sense.

I think Ted Thompson is true to his word 95% of the time when he says he's taking the best available player and that is how the Packers landed Randall Cobb.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:36:30 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

True.

Well, then I guess it is testament to the system working, as was our 2010 SB win. The parity of this league is really quite amazing. Few teams are able to be true title contenders year after year. Ted has done an admirable job of keeping us in the hunt for quite some time now. I'm hoping Mike McCarthy follows suit.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:41:37 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
True.

Well, then I guess it is testament to the system working, as was our 2010 SB win. The parity of this league is really quite amazing. Few teams are able to be true title contenders year after year. Ted has done an admirable job of keeping us in the hunt for quite some time now. I'm hoping Mike McCarthy follows suit.

It is working for WR, but not so much DL or OL, lol.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:50:02 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
It is working for WR, but not so much DL or OL, lol.

That's an interesting notion. It is working for WR only because Cobb or Jones haven't gone down in a crumpled heap. Mike Neal did two years ago, and made an admirable come back in 2012. Not the greatest work, but he showed he had something to add to our line. Now, we have Worthy who seems to have suffered a similar injury, and hopefully he can come back and contribute much the same or better.

If we're going straight draft & develop system, Ted addressed our needs, and we wound up losing Perry and Worthy in their first season with the Packers 2012. Sherrod fits into the mix too. Need addressed by Ted, only to have that important player go down with what may possibly be a career ending injury.

Man, have we gotten our tails kicked by injury. We could use a break there. Pardon.... Laughing
Rss Feed