Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BaconDrivelMint  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:11:57 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JSOnline wrote:
Green Bay --- Despite the booming pleas for the Green Bay Packers to sign Steven Jackson, there's a good chance the Atlanta Falcons were the running back's No. 1 choice all along. Much of the hype around here was, apparently, overblown.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline Laser Gunns  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:21:16 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

I disagree, but what do I know Suicide

IMO the time has come to finally invest a high pick into that position. We have spent 2 firsts and a lot of money on the O-line, and the running game has not improved. I am a firm believer that the problem is our RBs and NOT the line. We have had late picks and a really risky pick (Green, and his crazy Hawaii scheme) and none have worked out.

It's time to try this another way.

Our O was not impressive this year against the constant cover-2. We need a RB who can take advantage.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Yerko  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:47:21 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 261

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post
I disagree, but what do I know Suicide

IMO the time has come to finally invest a high pick into that position. We have spent 2 firsts and a lot of money on the O-line, and the running game has not improved. I am a firm believer that the problem is our RBs and NOT the line. We have had late picks and a really risky pick (Green, and his crazy Hawaii scheme) and none have worked out.

It's time to try this another way.

Our O was not impressive this year against the constant cover-2. We need a RB who can take advantage.

I've been saying...and will continue to say that if Eddie Lacy is available at #26, the Packers should take him. He has low mileage in college and is a proven power back with good speed. I'd say our offensive line matches pretty well with theirs (not position for position).

Trade up in the 2nd and there is sure to be a C or DL available that can start right away.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:57:40 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

There are plenty of backs out there better than what we have now. But without an upgrade at the offensive line, we're not going to see a significant improvement in our running game with a significantly better RB unless his name is Adrian Peterson. You can strip arm tackles but it's much harder to teleport through your own linemen who are getting stuffed and not making big lanes. Better off sticking with who we have now and use the money on the offensive or defensive lines, RB, safety, or TE if we're losing Finley.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker on 3/16/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 2:10:04 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I've been saying...and will continue to say that if Eddie Lacy is available at #26, the Packers should take him. He has low mileage in college and is a proven power back with good speed. I'd say our offensive line matches pretty well with theirs (not position for position).

Trade up in the 2nd and there is sure to be a C or DL available that can start right away.

I'm more in the line of thinking that we are OK with what we have at RB. I really like Harris, Benson, Green and Starks.

That being said, Lacy is a kid I would not mind at all seeing in the Green & Gold. He's one of the few offensive players I would support picking in the 1st round.
Offline Yerko  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 2:22:51 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 261

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
There are plenty of backs out there better than what we have now. But without an upgrade at the offensive line, we're not going to see a significant improvement in our running game with a significantly better RB unless his name is Adrian Peterson. You can strip arm tackles but it's much harder to teleport through your own linemen who are getting stuffed and not making big lanes. Better off sticking with who we have now and use the money on the offensive or defensive lines, RB, safety, or TE if we're losing Finley.

If the Packers draft a center that is a bulldozer, the Packers right side of the line is above average in the run blocking department. With a new center, Sitton, and Bulaga manning the right side the run blocking should be alright. The left side is in question with LT and I'd go as far as saying Bulaga can still move to LT (again, probably in the minority here) as Don Barclay showed some glimpses at RT with both run and pass blocking. Barclay gets an offseason and training camp under his belt, I'd be willing to continue him at RT.

I think taking a gamble with Barclay at RT is worth it, leaving center being the main opening position. EDS is serviceable, but won't do much more than what was previously there. I think adding a quality center to this unit makes the entire offensive line better overall. The other positions can be filled with what the Packers currently have.
UserPostedImage
Offline Laser Gunns  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 3:28:15 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

this is off topic a bit, but I wonder if they would concider moving Bulaga to LT and let Barclay work RT.

I think they could give it a shot in TC. at least Think

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline porky88  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 5:22:40 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 407

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post

My issue with Lacy is simple. He played behind the best offensive line in college football. There were holes against Georgia and Notre Dame that many running backs could've ran behind. That's why I think it's a buyer beware situation. He has good size, power, and competent speed. I think he may lack an extra gear, though. Nevertheless, he doesn't create and I don't think you spend a first-round pick on a running back that can't create. He’s a product of Alabama’s system.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
dfosterf on 3/15/2013(UTC), wpr on 3/15/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:19:02 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

The only thing that has been holding our running game back is the play calling. Between not putting any focus on actually running the ball, and a scheme that hasn't worked for the Packers. It looked late in the season, that McCarthy has finally realized or admitted it and started calling more of a power run game, getting away from the outside zone blocking. And it worked.

I have little fear about our run game if McCarthy keeps that up. We have guys who can block, when the coach adjusts to his players instead of trying to force them into something that doesn't.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:29:04 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,143
Applause Received: 1,515

a RB in the first round is a wasted pick. the same kind of talent is there in the 2/3 rounds.

walter wrote:
Position Review: Running Backs

Running Back Class
Early-round talent: C
Mid-round: A
Late-round: B
Overall grade: B+
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
yooperfan on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed