Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 9:55:38 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Hey, I thought Jones' play improved in the middle last season, but it wasn't that great. After the season, I figured we were due for an upgrade there, and didn't want us to count on Bishop returning to full speed. I guess they think Jones is better and will improve. I wasn't seeing it, but I wish him well. Seems like a lot of dough to be throwing at what was your 3rd string MLB, behind Bishop and DJ Smith at the position.

This smacks a bit of keeping your own guy, regardless of the price. And Steven Jackson was too much? Really? I like Ted Thompson just fine, but I don't agree with that.

This seems more frivolous than prudent. How is the team improved? It's not. But, he held to his mantra of signing his own guy.

Message modified by user Friday, March 22, 2013 10:10:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline buckeyepackfan  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:11:18 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 350
Applause Received: 457

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Hawk is making 3.6 not 5.2.

We should start Hawk and Jones. AJ is the most solid run defender, and as the backside ILB, we want somebody who is going to be where they are supposed to be, not overpursuing. Jones has be best potential on the frontside. He is bigger and faster than Bishop, his pass rushing experience makes he better at getting off blocks. And it adds some flexibility for Dom. If he wanted to move Matthews and make Perry around, Jones would shift and pass rush.

There are definitely 2 different reports on Hawks contract, the one I was going off of shows that his base salary was reduced to 3.6 mil, but he is still getting the 1.6 mil guaranteed money from last contract.

IDK, really don't care that much, Hawk and Jones will be the starters going into camp, hopefully the guys coming off of injury will push them, that would only help The Packers D as a whole.

This article shows him receiving 5.2 mil for 2013

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/...-contract-restructuring/
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/22/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:16:51 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
There are definitely 2 different reports on Hawks contract, the one I was going off of shows that his base salary was reduced to 3.6 mil, but he is still getting the 1.6 mil guaranteed money from last contract.

IDK, really don't care that much, Hawk and Jones will be the starters going into camp, hopefully the guys coming off of injury will push them, that would only help The Packers D as a whole.

He is making 3.6 (2.1 guaranteed this year). The team still has to account for the 1.6 million prorated from his 8 million SB which makes his cap number 5.2.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:30:02 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,222

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Hey, I thought Jones' play improved in the middle last season, but it wasn't that great. After the season, I figured we were due for an upgrade there, and didn't want us to count on Bishop returning to full speed. I guess they think Jones is better and will improve. I wasn't seeing it, but I wish him well. Seems like a lot of dough to be throwing at what was your 3rd string MLB, behind Bishop and DJ Smith at the position.

This smacks a bit of keeping your own guy, regardless of the price. And Steven Jackson was too much? Really? I like Ted Thompson just fine, but I don't agree with that.

This seems more frivolous than prudent. How is the team improved? It's not. But, he held to his mantra of signing his own guy.

It makes perfect sense. Ted Thompson goes along with Ron Wolf in believing you can plug in free agent defensive players far more smoothly than offensive players. A RB wanting $4 million per year that wants to play for the Falcons or retire... what amount of money do you think it'd require to get him to consider the Packers when he admitted he wanted to be a Falcon and considered retiring?

Steven Jackson is NOT worth $4 million per year. Period. Not in this offense. The Packers can accomplish their rushing goals with James Starks and DuJuan Harris plus a RB from the draft. And use that $4 million on areas of need.

I can't say I agree Brad Jones is worth $4 million, but compare it to other LB's and it's not that bad.

Ya gotta get out of this "Madden" mindset ya got, lol. You can't just plug a bunch of pieces into a puzzle and expect it to look Mona Lisa.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan on 3/22/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:43:30 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
It makes perfect sense. Ted Thompson goes along with Ron Wolf in believing you can plug in free agent defensive players far more smoothly than offensive players. A RB wanting $4 million per year that wants to play for the Falcons or retire... what amount of money do you think it'd require to get him to consider the Packers when he admitted he wanted to be a Falcon and considered retiring?

Steven Jackson is NOT worth $4 million per year. Period. Not in this offense. The Packers can accomplish their rushing goals with James Starks and DuJuan Harris plus a RB from the draft. And use that $4 million on areas of need.

I can't say I agree Brad Jones is worth $4 million, but compare it to other LB's and it's not that bad.

Ya gotta get out of this "Madden" mindset ya got, lol. You can't just plug a bunch of pieces into a puzzle and expect it to look Mona Lisa.

That's funny. I played Madden only once in my life. I think it was 1998, in Seattle, at a friend's place, and he played it all the time. I had no clue whatsoever what I was doing...

Would that have been Madden II? Laughing
Offline nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:45:13 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,704
Applause Received: 663

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Brad Jones making more than A.J. Hawk? If so, could we see a competition between Hawk, Jones and Desmond Bishop for the two ILB positions?

Hawk can't cover.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:45:23 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,222

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
That's funny. I played Madden only once in my life. I think it was 1998, in Seattle, at a friend's place, and he played it all the time. I had no clue whatsoever what I was doing...

Would that have been Madden II? Laughing

One does not have to play Madden to possess the "Madden" mindset. Flapper
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#28 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:52:53 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Just checked. Madden '98. Third generation of the game on PS. Still, didn't know shit about how to play... and the "friend" I was playing seemed to be taking great pleasure in killing me in that game. I left his house very unimpressed.

We can agree to disagree on SJax. I think he would have been awesome for us for two seasons. My hope is for us to find a young talent as good or better in the draft. As much as I want James Starks to succeed in Green Bay, I am not holding out hope for that. He needs to toughen up, stop getting himself injured, make himself available for a full season. Not to mention, he doesn't really classify as the kind of thumper RB that I think we need to take us over the top there.

We need a RB that will PUNISH the opponent, with his head up of course!

As for Hawk, Jones and our LBs. I would imagine better DL play will help all of those guys, as will the return of a healthy Nick Perry. Let's hope we add some monsters up front for our D this draft as well. We're gonna need it!
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#29 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:55:55 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 350
Applause Received: 457

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
He is making 3.6 (2.1 guaranteed this year). The team still has to account for the 1.6 million prorated from his 8 million SB which makes his cap number 5.2.

I gotcha, duh, he got the full 8mil when he signed, that money's already been spent. lol

If one looks at the season as a whole, the run defense was not that bad.

The problem is most tend to remember just the 49r game at the end of the season and AD torching us.

That was with lbr's dropping like flies, hopefully they all will be back and healthy,

Ted paying starting lbr's in the range of 4-5 mil a year is not out of line with the rest of the league.
You want to pay everyone vet minimum, you are not going to have much in talent.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline wpr  
#30 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:57:07 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,142
Applause Received: 1,515

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I gotcha, duh, he got the full 8mil when he signed, that money's already been spent. lol

If one looks at the season as a whole, the run defense was not that bad.

The problem is most tend to remember just the 49r game at the end of the season and AD torching us.

That was with lbr's dropping like flies, hopefully they all will be back and healthy,

Ted paying starting lbr's in the range of 4-5 mil a year is not out of line with the rest of the league.
You want to pay everyone vet minimum, you are not going to have much in talent.

That is the only part of the season that counts. Mike was "warned" for 2 straight weeks of the problem and didn't get it corrected for SF.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Rss Feed