Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 5:23:59 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Mike McCarthy wrote:
We weren’t regimented enough. That’s definitely the case. The way we practiced the last month of the season wasn’t conducive to getting ready for the kind of scheme that was going to make you play defense and hunker down with your fundamentals.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 5:31:18 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Yeah. It was his responsibility, was it not?

Mike McCarthy has got to upgrade himself if we are going to make any significant changes in improving the team this season. He called horrific games at the start of our season v. SF and SEA. We couldn't afford that. Those losses were squarely on him.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/22/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 6:05:14 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Two thoughts:
1. It worries me that we weren't prepared. Okay, early on in the season you can get surprised by teams, it happens. But by the postseason, you know what kind of teams people have and there's not that much room for surprises. Absolutely a coaching failure.
2. I'm glad that he's actually taking responsibility, the next step is to not repeat these mistakes.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 6:17:57 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

I'd rather SEE toughness than read about it as a concept. I hope he and Ted can transform our team into one that shows real toughness, every week.

I felt we severely lacked toughness twice against SF, and v. SEA, IND, NYG, MIN. We looked like boys amongst men. It's Mike's charge to change that with attitude and preparation. Your team simply cannot show up unprepared.
Offline yooperfan  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 7:25:18 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 607
Applause Received: 275

The Packers were woefully unprepared in the playoffs against the Giants, and came into the playoffs unprepared again this year.
Add in his tunnel vision with regard to play calling and one could start to doubt Mike McCarthy regardless of his stellar won loss record.
He just may be too stubborn to make necessary and timely adjustments.
Offline Porforis  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 7:45:38 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
The Packers were woefully unprepared in the playoffs against the Giants, and came into the playoffs unprepared again this year.
Add in his tunnel vision with regard to play calling and one could start to doubt Mike McCarthy regardless of his stellar won loss record.
He just may be too stubborn to make necessary and timely adjustments.

My memory of the San Fran game is fading a bit, were there major offensive adjustments that needed to be made? All I remember is getting killed on the ground - And that's Capers' territory, not McCarthy.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 8:16:21 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 357
Applause Received: 440

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
My memory of the San Fran game is fading a bit, were there major offensive adjustments that needed to be made? All I remember is getting killed on the ground - And that's Capers' territory, not McCarthy.

http://scores.espn.go.co...d=330112025&period=3

Down 7 midway through the 3rd, Mike McCarthy on GBs 3rd possession calls goes with 5 WR shotgun spread 6 straight plays in a row, runs no time off the clock and sends his D, which is already running on fumes, back out to field after the Keapernick 56 yard run for the TD. The previous dive (2nd of the quarter for GB) had GB going out of the shotgun with only 2 rushes by Cobb. If it hadn't been for Aaron Rodgers running for a 1st down on 3rd and long on the 3rd rive it would have been a 3 and out. Mike McCarthy was leaving the defense hanging out to dry and not even bothering with time of possession.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Porforis on 3/22/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 3/22/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 8:17:15 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 607
Applause Received: 275

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.
I was actually alluding to adjustments in training regimen and practice regimen preparing to face the opponent.
If he sees the players not practicing up to his expectations, I think that as head coach he would take steps to somehow rectify that.
It seems that the Packers have a tendancy to come out flat in big games.
As head coach he is supposed to ensure that that doesn't happen.
Sometimes I think Mike McCarthy is too soft on his players.

I'm happy that the Packers are in contention every year, but not satisfied with our playoff preparedness over the last two years.

Porforis on 3/22/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 9:15:37 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,471

THIS is the quote that worries me.

Quote:

"To me, we're a physical, tough football team," McCarthy said at the National Football League combine. "I totally disagree. I don't know how you can put the tape on and say the Green Bay Packers aren't physical."

Several others of you have also alluded to the team's lack of toughness. I just wanted to get his quote into this thread as well.

Another time Mike points to the ST as being tough ergo the whole franchise is "tough". d'oh!

It takes more than one player or segment of the team to be "tough" to make the whole team "tough". Why not talk about the 2/3 of the team that is actually out on the field for 90% of the snaps?

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 9:19:01 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I have an issue with the original quote because it illustrates he didn't learn from last year as he said something nearly identical. How can you expect a team to be 'on board' with you when you commit the same failure in back to back years?
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:06:22 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
THIS is the quote that worries me.

Several others of you have also alluded to the team's lack of toughness. I just wanted to get his quote into this thread as well.

Another time Mike points to the ST as being tough ergo the whole franchise is "tough". d'oh!

It takes more than one player or segment of the team to be "tough" to make the whole team "tough". Why not talk about the 2/3 of the team that is actually out on the field for 90% of the snaps?

I think the toughness needs to start with McCarthy himself. Recognize what needs to be done and do it. If something isn't working, change it. We faced some top pass rushing teams to start the season, and Mike stopped running the football early, allowing those top pass rushers to essentially tee off on Rodgers at will. That to me is stupid.

Talk about fundamentals, how about the fundamentals of the game Mike?

Line your guys up and pound the rock, get the defenders moving backwards. This is what I am talking about in terms of establishing "toughness." I believe it is way, way, WAY more simple than he is making it out to be. If we had 30-40 rushing attempts by our RBs per game, I would guess we would win at least 95% of those games. Especially with what we can do in the air, with one of the best QBs in the NFL. Everything else opens up.

Establish dominance, and toughness, up front. This must happen in McCarthy's own head first. He's got to call it, demand it of his team.
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:07:43 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I have an issue with the original quote because it illustrates he didn't learn from last year as he said something nearly identical. How can you expect a team to be 'on board' with you when you commit the same failure in back to back years?

You can't tell this guy anything. That is the sense I get from him. That is not good.
Offline wpr  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:09:49 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,471

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I think the toughness needs to start with McCarthy himself. Recognize what needs to be done and do it. If something isn't working, change it. We faced some top pass rushing teams to start the season, and Mike stopped running the football early, allowing those top pass rushers to essentially tee off on Rodgers at will. That to me is stupid.

Talk about fundamentals, how about the fundamentals of the game Mike?

Line your guys up and pound the rock, get the defenders moving backwards. This is what I am talking about in terms of establishing "toughness." I believe it is way, way, WAY more simple than he is making it out to be. If we had 30-40 rushing attempts by our RBs per game, I would guess we would win at least 95% of those games. Especially with what we can do in the air, with one of the best QBs in the NFL. Everything else opens up.

Establish dominance, and toughness, up front. This must happen in McCarthy's own head first. He's got to call it, demand it of his team.

It certainly does begin with Mike. I don't think he has recognized the real problem nor does he know how to fix it. (Winning record and SB aside.)

UserPostedImage

Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:12:01 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

How much of this unpreparedness was a result of them taking it easy on those with injuries. I seem to recall down the stretch, a few key players that we not practicing and even playing, trying to heal them fully. Could that have backfired.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan on 3/22/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 10:19:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
How much of this unpreparedness was a result of them taking it easy on those with injuries. I seem to recall down the stretch, a few key players that we not practicing and even playing, trying to heal them fully. Could that have backfired.

If you are taking it easy when you're 120 minutes away from the Super Bowl. Retire.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed