Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 5:02:04 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,183

There are 12 players that were added via draft or signed as undrafted free agents during 2010 offseason.

1. C/G Dietrich-Smith, Evan
  2. CB Shields, Sam
  3. DE Neal, Mike
  4. DE Wilson, C.J.
  5. LB Francois, Robert
  6. LB Zombo, Frank
  7. P Masthay, Tim
  8. RB Starks, James
  9. S Burnett, Morgan
  10. T Bulaga, Bryan
  11. T Newhouse, Marshall
  12. TE Quarless, Andrew

Assuming each makes the 2013 roster ... who do you think will have a breakout season this year?

I'm going to go with Morgan Burnett. I think he's going to land himself in the Pro Bowl. I think with the emergence of Sam Shields and Casey Hayward, quarterbacks and offenses will try to test Burnett, a known ballhawk in college, and he will snare several interceptions this season.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 7:32:31 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 206
Applause Received: 285

morgan burnett i am hoping.
call me Dan
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 7:57:11 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,467

Could be EDS if he is starter all year.

Shields has already had a "breakout" of sorts last year. He will continue to improve. hopefully.

Neal is due to be healthy all year and thus up his game. Playing all season might be considered the first step towards upping his game.

My stands for Wilson are pretty low so even if he ups his game that may not amount to a whole lot.

Francois is a ST player he has about maxed out what he will do.

Zombo- I hope he doesn't show much more than he has the past few years. Then again I don't want to wish ill on someone so I will say I wish him all the best to him in Indy.

Masthay has been performing at a pretty high level the past couple of years. A few times he may well have been the player of the game for GB and his kicks certainly helped win a few game. Can't break out per se if he is already there.

Starks- Please stay healthy all year and contribute and I will be happy.

Burnett- He is positioned for breakout. A little more support for him in the backfield will certainly help. If they use 2 safeties instead of 3
CB. He seems to play like he is on an island every once in a while. He should be a little more comfortable this year.

Hard to say if Bulaga has had a breakout year or not already due to injuries. A full season at RT would be great.

Newhouse- has had good and bad games. A little more consistency will help. Like last year I expect him to start the season as the starting LT but I still look for Sherrod to step in about week 5 and take over.

Quarless coming off a horrible injury will do good to get out on the field and contribute at the same level he had 2 years ago.

By my definition the breakouts would come from either EDS, Neal or Burnett. I don't think we would notice EDS as much if he simply plays consistent and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Left to a choice of Neal and Burnett I choose Burnett as the one to have the breakout season. Neal will be in a rotation and not on the field as often as Morgan so his impact might not be as great.

UserPostedImage

Offline yooperfan  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 7:59:32 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 274

I'm hoping for: Neal, Burnett, Quarless or Bulaga. Not necessarily in that order.
Better for us if all 4 had a breakout year.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 9:05:29 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

I'll take Neal since he seems to be a whipping boy. I really hope Mike becomes the bad ass pass rusher we need at end. I don't get the lovefest for Newhouse and EDS because I view both of them as marginal starters at key positions that we need to improve upon. I pray that Sherrrod forces Newhouse to the bench and that we draft a center with a high pick. Settling on EDS at center and Newhouse at LT is not how championships are obtained.

Message modified by user Monday, March 25, 2013 10:06:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 3/25/2013(UTC), play2win on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 9:25:41 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 111

Hoping its Bulaga and EDS. We need some certainty on the line protecting our franchise.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 9:26:09 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 451
Applause Received: 272

As was said, Shields already had his breakout season. Burnet is OK, but I'm not so sure he will get much better. Same for Bulaga. Same for Mashay. Strange how the guys with the most potential are also the ones with the worst injury history - Neal and Starks. Of those two, Neal is the best bet for a breakout mainly because he has less competition for a starting spot. I think EDS will do a decent job at center, but I will stop way short of breakout. I guess maybe Quarles is my choice - with Crabtree gone and maybe even Finley, he should have some opportunities, and I see him as an upgrade from Crabtree. I always had a high opinion of Francois too, but he's got a lot of LBs ahead of him so he may not see the field for much more than special teams. I hate to say it, but there's a good bet that none of those 2010 guys really has a clear breakout season.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline flep  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 10:02:34 AM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

Bulaga was playing great until the injury.

For me Shields has already proven he is a good player.

So hopefully Starks and Burnett make that next step.

We need a RB to take the game to the next level and I'd like it to be Starks, though he needs to go more north, south.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline GBkrzygrl  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 10:25:14 AM(UTC)
GBkrzygrl

United States

Applause Received: 5

I am looking at Burnett and Neal. I have heard that it can several years for a safety to solidify his position and am hoping that Burnett can improve his game. I think we have seen some improvement since his rookie but he needs to continue to grow.

Since Neal actually played several games in a row towards the end of the season and at times seemed to get some push, I am really hoping that he can provide some of that disruption that we have been missing and hopfully this will lead to improvement from the rest of DL.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 10:59:38 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

I'd like to see Quarless come back.

That said, Burnett, Neal and Starks could bust out. That'd be nice. I expect it out of Burnett. Starks needs to stay low and run behind his pads to stay healthy. If he does that, he could be The Guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 11:35:46 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

My wish would be for Neal but I think Burnett is most likely. IMHO improvement on both lines are our most crtical needs regardless where it comes from.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline JustJeff  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 11:49:54 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Evan Dietrich-Smith - low tender leaves low expectations
Sam Shields - has previously broken out
Mike Neal - if he remains unbroken, he could be the guy. Clay certainly benefited from having Mike Neal in the lineup.
C.J. Wilson - Really good run stuffers who don't offer much against the pass don't break out.
Robert Francois - It appears that the coaches want an all out battle for playing time inside. Could Francois be that guy?
Frank Zombo - Can't stay healthy, the only break out should be a breaking out of his walking papers.
Tim Masthay - he's as studley as punters get.
James Starks - (see Zombo, Frank - can't make the club in the tub)
Morgan Burnett - he still seems to see things late, take false steps, but if we could put him at SS, he could be solid. Break out? I'm not sold the way LeRoy Butler is.
Bryan Bulaga - top shelf RT he also has previously broken out
Marshall Newhouse - Marshall, Marshall, Marshall! I could go on all day about him. He's closer than many think, but oh so far away. If the guy could only find his inner nasty. I believe that if Marshall played with heavier hands, he would make a huge jump. I sometimes wonder if the guy wouldn't be better served being moved indside or to RT (side note: Bulaga at LT is an awful idea in my book). The reason I would like to see Marshall moved would be to find his inner nasty. Short version: he could make a huge jump, but I'm not expecting it.
Andrew Quarless - the biggest question is obviously that knee. I think the guy could be a very solid all-around TE.

I have to go with Mike Neal as the most likely, with Francois as a dark horse. I could see Burnett breaking out, but only if we find a free safety to play single-high alignments and let Burnett be who he really is.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 1:53:12 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 247

Since nothing is going to happen at the position this season, I am hoping Newhouse has a breakout year. Could use that to protect the back of what is soon to be the highest paid, best quarterback in the league.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 3:02:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Since nothing is going to happen at the position this season, I am hoping Newhouse has a breakout year. Could use that to protect the back of what is soon to be the highest paid, best quarterback in the league.

Newhouse is what he is imo. We've got two guys behind him who might break out, but they both remain to be seen.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 3:03:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,183

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Newhouse is what he is imo.

I'm confused. You are what you are too. I am what I am. How could one be what they are not? Why you doing this to me? Crying

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed