Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ChilliMaddensChilli  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:31:20 PM(UTC)

If Rodgers wins 4+ pro bowls and/or a Lombardi trophy then Smith will be a top candidate for biggest bust ever.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:43:09 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,323
Applause Received: 3,584
" said: Go to Quoted Post
If Rodgers wins 4+ pro bowls and/or a Lombardi trophy then Smith will be a top candidate for biggest bust ever.

I get what you're saying, but I have to disagree. I don't think one player should be called a bust based on another players career.
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:26:55 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 146
Quarterbacks need time to develop. Before we go overboard on Rodgers remember he was very bad his first two years. The coaching staf was changing his mechanics and he did not manage the clock well in the two minute drill.

Then in 2007 he was impressive in the improvement demonstrated on the field. In preseason he improvised when things went wrong or receivers ran the wrong routes. It was a huge jump and the mechanics were under control.

He still is learning and with experience will only continue to improve. Look again for a jump next year as he studies this year's film of himself as a starter and analyzes what he can do better.

Now for Alex Smith. Living in the area I have seen many of his games and saw him from day one. McCarthy had him as a rookie almost always rolling outto the right so he only had to scan half the field. His protection was not good. It was obvious he was not ready. They threw him into the deep end of the pool and told him to learn how swim.

Norv Turner actually got the most out of him his second year. There is an apprenticeship to Quarterbacking and Norv was the most patient and understanding coach he has had.

Mike Martz is now his 4th Offensive Coodinator. The guy never had a chance to work on NFL level mechanics and some bad habits were never corrected as there ws no time. Alex Smith will rehab and end up as a back up on some middle of the road team next year. I hope he can resurrect his career in a couple of years.

What is not mentioned is that Flynn and Brohm now have the opportunities as Rodgers did. Eventually one will be kept and one will be traded for a chance to play elsewhere. Ted will have backups and a profit on the draft pick obtained.

Things are fine in Green Bay. Let's hope Flynn does not have to get thrown in like Alex Smith.
Offline zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:18:00 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
A good article overall, but I disagree with the author's statement that a QB is more important to a team than a star basketball player. In basketball, there are only five players on the floor at one time, and they play both offense and defense. One player can have an enormous impact in that situation. In football, you've got 11 players on the field, and none of them are there more than half the time. Of course a QB is very important, but I think this guy is exaggerating.

I think Michael Jordan did more for the Bulls than any QB did for their team, including Joe Montana and Tom Brady.

I don't even think this guy's a good writer. He tries to say things to elicit responses and blows things out of proportion.
Offline CubanPenguin  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:23:50 PM(UTC)

A good article overall, but I disagree with the author's statement that a QB is more important to a team than a star basketball player. In basketball, there are only five players on the floor at one time, and they play both offense and defense. One player can have an enormous impact in that situation. In football, you've got 11 players on the field, and none of them are there more than half the time. Of course a QB is very important, but I think this guy is exaggerating.

Very good point but the first thing that came to my mind was a goalie in Hockey, they are by far the most important individual on a hockey team.

A great one can make a bad team good and a bad one can make a great team bad. Also the same can be said for a soccer goalie, but there are far less shots in soccer that a good D can hold them to just a few.
Offline dingus  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:19:53 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 36
Good points, CalCheez
Offline Trippster  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:37:03 AM(UTC)

Applause Received: 10

Very good point but the first thing that came to my mind was a goalie in Hockey, they are by far the most important individual on a hockey team.

A great one can make a bad team good and a bad one can make a great team bad. Also the same can be said for a soccer goalie, but there are far less shots in soccer that a good D can hold them to just a few.

being an ex goalie, I agree!!! :thumbleft:

Acually, I don't think you can compare. they all have such different responsibilities and influence on their team. I would guess that in the other sports (football, hockey, etc) there can be plays that do not include them and many times are. In football though, all (well, 99,9%) plays include the QB and are heavily influenced by his physical play and the decisions he makes.
Rss Feed