Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:47:12 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Plus, Aaron Rodgers has to do all of it without any hall of fame running backs to take heat off him. What you say now?

It's okay, Aaron Rodgers > Bart Starr. It's just fact. I'm glad Starr was around back then, but it's okay to acknowledge that someone better has come along. It's inevitable. There will be someone better than Reggie White, Sterling Sharpe, etc ... that's a good thing.

Acceptance you can.

nope.

1<5. Don't punish Bart because he did a better job than Aaron did at winning the ultimate prize. Time after time after time after time after time. When you win that often they have to stick more players into the Hall.
Bart's greatness MADE them all HoFers. FACTOID. Lets Box!
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:57:00 AM(UTC)
All I have to do is look at the beautiful perfectly placed spirals thrown by Aaron vs. the dying quail chucked up by Starr, but yeah Starr has that trophy thing going for him. It's like saying Terry Bradshaw is a better quarterback than Dan Marino.

This must be what it feels like to be a Viking fan, well sort of.
Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:59:38 AM(UTC)
Using the multiquote feature to bust ya all down ... wassup.

Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
Ahhh, that would be incorrect.. I could chuck the pigskin.. and the baseball as well, still can get into the high 70's with the baseball. Try again.. it is all about the over hype. ;)

Chucking pigskin... anyone can do that. Failing to hit the broad side of a barn or consistently throw a spiral ...

wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
nope.

1<5. Don't punish Bart because he did a better job than Aaron did at winning the ultimate prize. Time after time after time after time after time. When you win that often they have to stick more players into the Hall.
Bart's greatness MADE them all HoFers. FACTOID. Lets Box!

Bart Starr had a superior cast around him with a legendary coach at the helm, of course he is going to be mis-perceived as the best. We gonna say Terry Bradshaw is better than Aaron Rodgers because 4 > 1? Or that Trent Dilfer is equal to Aaron Rodgers because 1 = 1?

Pack93z  
#24 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:01:06 AM(UTC)

Chucking pigskin... anyone can do that. Failing to hit the broad side of a barn or consistently throw a spiral ...

Any day you want to contest this statement.. I am game. Just don't hang your head when the facts separate themselves. [grin1]
Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:02:47 AM(UTC)
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
Any day you want to contest this statement.. I am game. Just don't hang your head when the facts separate themselves. [grin1]

Pssh, I can still sling it 50+ with ease my friend... with ease!
Pack93z  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:16:39 AM(UTC)
Pssh, I can still sling it 50+ with ease my friend... with ease!

Anyone can sling it 50... but accurately. Lets Box!
Wade  
#27 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:24:46 AM(UTC)
5 = 500% of 1.

That is a big gap to make up.

Until Rodgers get at least three, I'm not going to put him in the same category.

In terms of statistics, physical tools, Rodgers is ahead by a landslide. If we want to exaggerate, even 500% as big.

But if I'm going to weight things, I give championships a weight of 0.9 and statistics/tools a combined weight of 0.1.

Therefore:

Starr = (0.9 x 5) + (0.1 x 1) = 0.65 min.
Rodgers = (0.9 x 1) + (0.1 x 5) = 0.59 max.

Starr.

yooperfan  
#28 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:26:44 AM(UTC)
Starr didn't audible out of running plays to pad his stats. Therefore he is the better QB.
OHOH![aiee]
Pack93z  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 10:18:56 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Starr didn't audible out of running plays to pad his stats. Therefore he is the better QB.
OHOH![aiee]

Ahhh.. feeding the stat mongering viewpoint posters.. these could become fun.. [grin1]
play2win  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 10:47:44 AM(UTC)
I believe the consensus here is that Rodgers is the better QB from a talent and ability level, and as good as Starr was, his talents are/were not those possessed by Rodgers.

Starr has more Championships attached to his name. I want Championships in Green Bay. Period.

This is a good time to recognize how good Rodgers is, and what is needed to put him into the Starr category for Championships: a running game, a HC who will call a running game, and a solid D.
nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 10:59:29 AM(UTC)
Regarding those Championshps ... Bart Starr had how many Hall of Famers on his team? How many does Aaron Rodgers have? Yep, Rodgers doing more with less. Also, Starr's coach was so legendary that the named the Super Bowl trophy after him.

Here's a stat that has no relevance with games played in a season ...
Starr 80.5 qb rating
Rodgers 104.9 qb rating

Starr had exactly ZERO HoFers on his team.

Those men EARNED those honors through their play. They weren't anointed on draft day. Besides, the Hall didn't exist at the time did it?

Anyway, Aaron may very well be playing with future HoFers, we just don't know. Woody for example.
wpr  
#32 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:07:22 AM(UTC)
Using the multiquote feature to bust ya all down ... wassup.

Bart Starr had a superior cast around him with a legendary coach at the helm, of course he is going to be mis-perceived as the best. We gonna say Terry Bradshaw is better than Aaron Rodgers because 4 > 1? Or that Trent Dilfer is equal to Aaron Rodgers because 1 = 1?

you can have the qb throws the ball pretty and who does what is he told without having to think for himself. If pretty throws were the whole measure then no one would credit Favre at all. His duck snorts, left handed and underhanded passes won games. FACT!

I will give the laurels to the guy with real leaderships skills and proven success.
Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:11:43 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Starr had exactly ZERO HoFers on his team.

Those men EARNED those honors through their play. They weren't anointed on draft day. Besides, the Hall didn't exist at the time did it?

Anyway, Aaron may very well be playing with future HoFers, we just don't know. Woody for example.

It's dense comments like this that make it hard to hold a good debate. Look, everyone knows that while playing you cannot be in the hall of fame. The point being made was look back at how many are in the hall of fame that he played with. Do that. Count them up.

I can't believe how some folks fail to be objective about this. It's not a slight on Bart Starr, he was magnificent, but he played on a dominant team. Aaron Rodgers is the better quarterback. This dumb comment about Starr had more rings ... you're saying that Rodgers is equally good as Jeff Hostetler or isn't even as good as Terry Bradshaw. Give me a break people! Show your objectivity!

Bring something to the discussion other than your bias! No room for bias here, this isn't Barry Sanders we're talkin 'bout!!
wpr  
#34 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:15:57 AM(UTC)
It's dense comments like this that make it hard to hold a good debate. Look, everyone knows that while playing you cannot be in the hall of fame. The point being made was look back at how many are in the hall of fame that he played with. Do that. Count them up.

I can't believe how some folks fail to be objective about this. It's not a slight on Bart Starr, he was magnificent, but he played on a dominant team. Aaron Rodgers is the better quarterback. This dumb comment about Starr had more rings ... you're saying that Rodgers is equally good as Jeff Hostetler or isn't even as good as Terry Bradshaw. Give me a break people! Show your objectivity!

Bring something to the discussion other than your bias! No room for bias here, this isn't Barry Sanders we're talkin 'bout!!

no bias? ok look at this one-

Bart is in The Hall. FACT.
Aaron is not. if he quit today and walked away he would never be in The Hall. FACT!
BART> Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool  
#35 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:20:05 AM(UTC)
no bias? ok look at this one-

Bart is in The Hall. FACT.
Aaron is not. if he quit today and walked away he would never be in The Hall. FACT!
BART> Aaron Rodgers

No argument there, but the same could be said about Bart Starr if you cut his career short too.

Next ...
wpr  
#36 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:26:50 AM(UTC)
No argument there, but the same could be said about Bart Starr if you cut his career short too.

Next ...

so then you agree the young man still has a ways to go to prove himself.
then he is not greater than an existing HoFer.
Thank you. =d>

BOOM!!! You children can't keep up with us old codgers. [laughing]
Zero2Cool  
#37 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:28:45 AM(UTC)
so then you agree the young man still has a ways to go to prove himself.
then he is not greater than an existing HoFer.
Thank you. =d>

Similar points in their career, Aaron Rodgers is ahead of Bart Starr as a quarterback, no question. Bart Starr played for 15 years and had a legendary team with a legendary coach. His statistics as a quarterback are not why he's in the Hall of Fame. He's in the Hall because of his exceptional leadership skills, not his quarterback skills.

Next ...
wpr  
#38 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:30:51 AM(UTC)
Similar points in their career, Aaron Rodgers is ahead of Bart Starr as a quarterback, no question. Bart Starr played for 15 years and had a legendary team with a legendary coach. His statistics as a quarterback are not why he's in the Hall of Fame. He's in the Hall because of his exceptional leadership skills, not his quarterback skills.

Next ...

you never asked who can throw the ball better. You asked who was the better QB.
The QB is the leader of the team. Ergo Bart is the better QB not the better passer.

Once again you are shot down by your own words. FACT.
Zero2Cool  
#39 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:35:15 AM(UTC)
you never asked who can throw the ball better. You asked who was the better QB.
The QB is the leader of the team. Ergo Bart is the better QB not the better passer.

Once again you are shot down by your own words. FACT.

You have nothing going for ya there young man. Why don't you start saying five rings to one ring again. At least that was funny. :)
wpr  
#40 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 11:45:15 AM(UTC)
You have nothing going for ya there young man. Why don't you start saying five rings to one ring again. At least that was funny. :)

Listen skippy, there are no qbs who were 5 time champions that were mediocre qbs. Bart succeeded beyond all measure. He lead those teams to victory. He called the plays. He changed the legendary HC's call on his own and succeeded. He is what Rodgers hopes to be SOMEDAY. A real winner.

This whole discussion is like talking about pitchers. Some guy who throws 125 mph is not a better pitcher than the guy who knows how to pitch and simply wins time in and time out.it may look pretty but I want results. I could care less if some guy threw wobbly passes with his left foot. If he wins. If he leads his team to victory that is the acid test.
Rss Feed