Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:27:05 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 91

JSOnline wrote:
Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and Alabama running back Eddie Lacy remain as prominent first-round targets for the Packers, at least according to the mock draft gurus.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:59:48 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I'd take Lacy over Eifert.
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:05:26 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Those are both great players and would make a positive impact on our team. No question. But, this defense is in dire need of attention, and I hope they get the right players to shore it up. I would think that they would know how deep their position needs are in this draft, and who they can expect to be available as they work their way through. I don't care if they go with an O player in R1, as long as they fix the D. I think fixing the D is paramount in importance if we are to truly contend for another SB.

I'll add, the running game plays into fixing the D. A lot that went wrong last year was the result of a worn out defense who took on too many reps because our O too often couldn't sustain drives. Getting a top RB would help both sides of the ball.

I do like the idea of adding a top talent at TE. That is a component that could prove difficult to stop, two TE sets with real talent there.
Online Mucky Tundra  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:36:40 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 347
Applause Received: 422

I'd rather go with Lacy over Eifert if the choice is between those two. I really don't see the point in drafting a TE when we have 2-3 we never use to begin with on a regular basis (yeah Taylor is more ST but still). I can count the number of times I've seen pass attempts to DJ Williams during games I've been able to watch live on one hand.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:56:46 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,429

yeah the experts sure know it all. TE on a team with doesn't need a TE and wasting a first round pick on a RB is what GB needs to do.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline warhawk  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 6:26:44 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 219

Lacy may and probably will be a very good RB but my hesitation is that he played behind a dominant OL and also split time this year with a freshman that got a lot of carries. I saw games where Lacy came in and ran over teams late when Alabama had beaten their opponents up pretty bad.

He definitely had an advantage of fresh legs and an OL that pummeled opposing defenses. Especially by the 2nd half.

Now Eifert lined up off tackle with Finley or Cobb moving around pre-snap might offer match ups nobody has an answer for.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 7:06:43 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Maybe I am just trying to buffer the blow of possibly picking a RB in the 1st. We could use the kid, if they decide he is the choice. Since they are predicting Lacy, we can pretty much rest assured that it won't happen...

Defense!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/8/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 8:03:18 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 580
Applause Received: 265

We can pretty much expect Ted to do the unexpected.

That is all!
Offline Rockmolder  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 8:07:41 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 151
Applause Received: 254

I just can't imagine us picking a RB in the 1st round. Of course, I haven't been present in the scouting meetings over in GB, but it doesn't seem like our FO values the position enough to spend a first round pick on, especially not when there's some excellent value to be gotten in round 3, 4 and 5.

A TE, on the other hand, doesn't look like that big of a longshot to me.

First of all, Eifert would be incredible value at 26, regardless of our needs.

Secondly, that'd give you some real options at TE. You don't have to replace a guy like Greg Jennings with another WR, if you can switch to more 2 TE sets, you get more balanced while still having the ability to spread out with a guy like Finley in there, as well. It can make for a passing threat with a dual TE wishbone and for a running threat that started as a 4-wide, 2 TE, 2 WR formation.

Thirdly, Finley will be gone next year, most likely. He'll either perform admirably and we won't be able to afford him or he'll perform awfully and we won't want him as our nr. 1 TE, anymore. If you're going to depend on the draft alone, you need to see gaps before they're their, as you can't keep banking on rookies to step in and contribute right away. This would be a great pick from an insurance standpoint, as well.

Of course, I'm still more interested in picking Justin Hunter, but that's a whole different story.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 4/8/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 4/8/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 10:16:44 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,557
Applause Received: 640

RB is supposed to be pretty deep this year. Someone posted a scout saying you could find a starter in later rounds. If that is the case, I expect Ted to do just that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 1:39:33 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
yeah the experts sure know it all. TE on a team with doesn't need a TE and wasting a first round pick on a RB is what GB needs to do.

How is TE not a need for the Packers? As has been mentioned, Finley is as good as gone after this season. When using the approach the Packers do, needs are identified and filled in advance (ideally), not after the holes already exist. If TE is the best player available according to their board, I'd love the pick. I want the player that is most likely to have a great 10+ year career, not simply a player that is a "need." The other tight ends on the roster are nothing more than backups, imo, and possibly not even great backups. I don't think many would cry over losing a Ryan Taylor, DJ Williams, Mulligan, etc. Their just depth and/or special teams guy. Quarless is still a huge question mark and even if fully healthy again he would be stretched to be anything more than a decent number 2 quality tight end. Definitely not a guy teams would have to spend much time game-planning for.

I simply can't see Lacy being the "best player available" at pick number 26. Perhaps a trade back into the second round could work out, but I'd rather just pick up some later round value RB. The Packers should be able to get a very nice value player at 26, imo.
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 2:53:59 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,429

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
How is TE not a need for the Packers? As has been mentioned, Finley is as good as gone after this season. When using the approach the Packers do, needs are identified and filled in advance (ideally), not after the holes already exist. If TE is the best player available according to their board, I'd love the pick. I want the player that is most likely to have a great 10+ year career, not simply a player that is a "need." The other tight ends on the roster are nothing more than backups, imo, and possibly not even great backups. I don't think many would cry over losing a Ryan Taylor, DJ Williams, Mulligan, etc. Their just depth and/or special teams guy. Quarless is still a huge question mark and even if fully healthy again he would be stretched to be anything more than a decent number 2 quality tight end. Definitely not a guy teams would have to spend much time game-planning for.

I simply can't see Lacy being the "best player available" at pick number 26. Perhaps a trade back into the second round could work out, but I'd rather just pick up some later round value RB. The Packers should be able to get a very nice value player at 26, imo.

I say Quarless is sound and puts up big numbers. But then what do I know?
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 4:56:22 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 432
Applause Received: 255

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
We can pretty much expect Ted to do the unexpected.

That is all!

That's for sure. I think the last time he did the expected, we ended up with A.J. Hawk. (I wanted Vernon Davis that year).

I agree with wpr that Quarles may be decent; Also with play2win that it has to be defense; Also with the guy that pointed out RBs are deep this year and Ted Thompson will probably get one later. Montee Ball in the 4th would be a dream pick; in the 3rd wouldn't be bad either.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline porky88  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:03:43 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 189
Applause Received: 379

For what it's worth, I went with LSU safety Eric Reid.

Porky's Mock Draft

Quote:
Former defensive player of the year Charles Woodson’s departure created news this off-season. Many consider safety a position of need because of his release. Losing his leadership stings, but Green Bay’s already replaced him with cornerback Casey Heyward. Their hole at safety stems from losing Nick Collins to injury in 2011. Reid’s a logical replacement. He’s the best size and speed safety available. His 2012 season was somewhat of a letdown, but he’s a playmaking, centerfield type of safety. His best football is ahead of him.

I do prefer Florida safety Matt Elam, but I slotted him earlier. This is my second mock draft. I originally went with Alabama DT Jesse Williams, but I did more homework on Reid and I'm liking him a lot more.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
wpr on 4/8/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 4/8/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 4/8/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 6:01:49 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I say Quarless is sound and puts up big numbers. But then what do I know?

I certainly hope you're right. But even before Quarless' injury, he looked like an average starter, at best, to me. I suppose I'm just skeptical that he'll be much better than that any time soon, if ever, after such a bad injury. Yeah, a team like the Packers can get by with only an average to slightly below average tight end when they have 4-5 very good WRs, but it's obviously not ideal. The Packers WR group is still good, but as it stands now, I wouldn't consider them "great" (although with Rodgers throwing them the ball, perhaps they still are).

As I said, I just want the player that Ted Thompson and staff thinks has the best chance to have a very successful 10+ year career, regardless of position. Personally, I hope that player plays defense, specifically a defensive linemen or pass rusher, but any defender would be great. Otherwise, if a tight end such as Eifert is clearly the best player available, I would like the pick. Even without any draft picks, I expect the Packers defense to be better this upcoming season, so long as they stay somewhat healthy. Like it or not, the Packers are likely to still win most their games on the back of Aaron Rodgers and the offense so if the draft goes that way, I can understand it.