Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Laser Gunns  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:47:38 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 239

We've had at least 3 (that I know of) this week.

Are they evil little spam programs, or are there really people who look for forums to post this crap?

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:45:37 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,914
Applause Received: 2,118

Every morning I delete several spam posts and several spam accounts. What they do is create one account, then create another to "hide" the last registered user. They think by doing that, they'll have one in the chamber after the first one gets banned. It's really annoying and now I have it so their links change to "SPAM".
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:22:26 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

But I was REALLY INTERESTED in buying cabinets in Birmingham!
Do you like bacon?
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:19:41 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 391
Applause Received: 1,063

SPAM.. the annoying nature of the beast.. out filter here at work compiles the weekly statistics.. we average around 56% of inbound mail that is spam and blocked. Less than .005 % of those are false positives.

That is the reality of what is out on the net.. and about the only reason I would ever consider supporting a fee on email.. to cut down the spammer/blast mailings.. but that really would be just off setting one cost (spam filtering) with another cost in terms of a bill for email traffic at best.

There isn't a good way of controlling it without being intrusive to the members or the admin.. whether it be an entry question to post or join, an approval process for the first x posts, a restriction on the type of posts (no links) for the first x amount of posts. Etc.

No matter what method, there will be some net affect to either the members or the admin. My opinion anyway.. nature of a forum.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:28:13 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

the difficult part is these spam fools are actually humans. how do you stop a human on a site that wants contributions in form of posts?
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:36:05 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
the difficult part is these spam fools are actually humans. how do you stop a human on a site that wants contributions in form of posts?

Hold new members postings in moderation until they reach a certain number of approved posts (like 5). After they have 5 approved posts they can post without it being held in moderation. Then the spam would never reach the site because you didn't approve it.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:40:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 391
Applause Received: 1,063

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Hold new members postings in moderation until they reach a certain number of approved posts (like 5). After they have 5 approved posts they can post without it being held in moderation. Then the spam would never reach the site because you didn't approve it.

And what about the new actual members that now will be put through a trial phase with held posts. Are the more or less likely to stick around until they pass the trial phase? Maybe that is a benefit though.. it will weed out the hit and run type posters.. lol.

And what about the mod that has to approve them ... is it any less labor intensive than deleting spam and the accounts?
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:22:31 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
And what about the new actual members that now will be put through a trial phase with held posts. Are the more or less likely to stick around until they pass the trial phase? Maybe that is a benefit though.. it will weed out the hit and run type posters.. lol.

And what about the mod that has to approve them ... is it any less labor intensive than deleting spam and the accounts?

I don't run the site. That's for you all to determine. :)
Do you like bacon?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:00:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Ugh! And to make matters worse, I go off on someone like a complete buffoon who was just being generous with a good link. I hate the spammers even more!
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:51:16 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,431

thanks for your hard work kevin. If you want to let some of us delete the spam just say so.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:14:45 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Thanks. And I might have to. This is getting really discouraging to keep the site going. Every single morning, more accounts, more spam. I don't know why. We are not that high traffic of a site to start with.

Edit, and I also go to delete them from Facebook and Twitter also because I don't have enough things to do. I'm not even sure it's worth it anymore.
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:32:42 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,431

yeah some guy was whining about it on FB a couple of days ago. Let him do all the work.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:50:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I'm disabling registration for new members. Screw it, I'm done doing this. I'll have to think of a better way to stop the spam, but deleting it everyday, I am done.
UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:48:20 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 110

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
yeah some guy was whining about it on FB a couple of days ago. Let him do all the work.

Could you be talking about Me???? Here is my original quote from my facebook post. "PackersHome mods,could we get these spammers blocked please." I wouldn't call it whining,more like espressing concern.It just pisses me off that that some people have nothing better to do than waste the mods valuable time with such worthless B.S. that no one in there right mind would interested in. Trust me,you wouldn't want me trying to do any computer work for the site. My computer skills leave a lot to be desired.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:37:12 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I'm disabling registration for new members. Screw it, I'm done doing this. I'll have to think of a better way to stop the spam, but deleting it everyday, I am done.

Have you tried CAPTCHA?
Do you like bacon?