Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:50:10 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JSOnline wrote:
Green Bay --- He'll listen to all opinions from scouts, from coaches. But make no mistake, Packers general manager Ted Thompson makes the final decision on draft day.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:52:17 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

You better hit it big Ted.
We need quality not quantity.
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:58:21 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 665

PFT

Quote:
West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith has been discussed at times as a possible first overall pick in the NFL draft. But with the draft now just four days away, another question arises: Could Smith drop all the way out of the first round?

Seriously. If dude drops to 26, would Ted pull the trigger?

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:10:37 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

This is such an important draft for Ted Thompson and the Packers, I couldn't see him taking Smith at 26, unless he had a trade partner. To me, I wouldn't mind him working a deal where he gets a couple of additional top 100 picks for our #26 -if- he has the right players targeted.

Our greatest problem is we need immediate starting help on both of our lines, maybe at OLB, S, RB and TE. This will be interesting to see it all shake out.

I'd rather he stay at 26, or even trade away from next year for sure fire starters this year. Get 2 first rounders if those players targeted are that good. Move up if those players are there Ted!

For instance, if there are two players that you believe can and will take you over the top this season, I don't see a downside of trading away next year's R1 for an additional 1st round pick this year. That additional player will still be on your team next year, and hopefully will have helped you win a Championship this season.

He could augment the R1 loss next year by adding a top FA next offseason if need be.

Message modified by user Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:41:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:08:31 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
This is such an important draft for Ted Thompson and the Packers, I couldn't see him taking Smith at 26, unless he had a trade partner. To me, I wouldn't mind him working a deal where he gets a couple of additional top 100 picks for our #26 -if- he has the right players targeted.

Our greatest problem is we need immediate starting help on both of our lines, maybe at OLB, S, RB and TE. This will be interesting to see it all shake out.

I'd rather he stay at 26, or even trade away from next year for sure fire starters this year. Get 2 first rounders if those players targeted are that good. Move up if those players are there Ted!

For instance, if there are two players that you believe can and will take you over the top this season, I don't see a downside of trading away next year's R1 for an additional 1st round pick this year. That additional player will still be on your team next year, and hopefully will have helped you win a Championship this season.

He could augment the R1 loss next year by adding a top FA next offseason if need be.

Think about what Geno Smith would be worth next year, with an offseason of Mikes QB School under his belt. Ted could probably name his price.

The depth of this draft is in day two. Plus I don't think we have THAT many needs. DL, C are really the only crucial spots, but I think they want a RB to help Arodge be able to continue throwing deep, a WR and a S. Ted can get most of that done on day 2-3 imo.

Anyway alot depends on Mike's analysis of Smith. Still, it's a huge value, which is what Ted is all about.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:16:27 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
PFT

I hope not... this draft doesn't have a true #1 guy but it has a number of good QB with potential that I think other QB need teams would grab.... and I'm not sure if they could trade Smith away for two 1st... though if they could that would be cool.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:20:39 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
PFT

There is no upside to Geno Smith. Why would the Packers take him when he isn't even a top 50 player? That means he wouldn't be the best possible player at 26.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed