You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:05:20 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

ProFootballTalk wrote:
Finesse will not be high on the list of things the Packers are looking for in the draft.

That’s the impression left by Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, who reports that people close to Packers coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson say that both men have “freely acknowledged” in the last three months that the team is too soft and small. They are “bound and determined” to get things moving in the other direction, a project that should inform their draft decisions.

Edited by moderator Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:17:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:32:42 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Sounds good to me. I don't know about small, but lacking toughness for sure.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Online nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:09:45 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Good. I'm sick of this finesse bullshit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:42:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,416
Applause Received: 1,203

I am glad to hear this. After reading that Mc Carthy was saying the team was tough I was more than a little concerned that he was clueless. I really don't care what he tells the fans as long as he knows what needs to be done and he and Uncle Teddy do it.

jsonline wrote:
But some people close to Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson say the Green Bay Packers' football leaders have freely acknowledged that perception in private over the past three months, and now are bound and determined to do something about it.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 4/21/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:57:43 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

With this article, I am curious to see how the Packers attack the draft. If they truly want to get bigger and tougher, they will probably accumulate draft picks. After the last 49ers game, Charles Woodson said the Packers needed to get bigger and faster.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:28:14 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

On defense, I say halleluiah!!!!!!! On offense, I'm okay with more power run blocking, but keep in mind, we have the best quarterback in the league and one of the brightest offensive minded coaches. Why would we want to go all in on a power running game, when our offense is pretty potent as is?
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:04:18 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,416
Applause Received: 1,203

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
On defense, I say halleluiah!!!!!!! On offense, I'm okay with more power run blocking, but keep in mind, we have the best quarterback in the league and one of the brightest offensive minded coaches. Why would we want to go all in on a power running game, when our offense is pretty potent as is?

stat whore. you just want to break Favre's records. Laughing
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Online Mucky Tundra  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:15:20 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 223
Applause Received: 272

For me getting more physical on offense means running the ball more, proving you got more will and determination than the other team. Even if it's just straight up the gut for a 3 yards. Take a for example the playoff game last year when they kicked a FG from the 1 yard line. If that same situation comes again this year I want to see us going for it. On the other hand, if we get down to the goal line and we're lining up shotgun spread like we have the past few years, then I'll know Mike McCarthy is just talking out of his ass.

In short: talking tough is one thing, but proving it out on the field is another
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:35:48 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 102
Applause Received: 123

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
For me getting more physical on offense means running the ball more, proving you got more will and determination than the other team. Even if it's just straight up the gut for a 3 yards. Take a for example the playoff game last year when they kicked a FG from the 1 yard line. If that same situation comes again this year I want to see us going for it. On the other hand, if we get down to the goal line and we're lining up shotgun spread like we have the past few years, then I'll know Mike McCarthy is just talking out of his ass.

In short: talking tough is one thing, but proving it out on the field is another

To me it's just winning on the line of scrimmage whether on pass plays or run plays. We need a dominant line that can protect the QB. That's being more physical.
Do you like bacon?
Offline steveishere  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:41:06 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post

They don't really need to run more they just need to run more effectively. Last year they were about 16th in total offensive drives and 16th in rushing attempts so they had a good balance. Especially when you consider how bad they were at running. I don't care what the perception is it takes some sort of commitment to get that many attempts with the best QB and a very bad rushing attack.

Until they get more effective running the ball it simply makes more sense to lean on Rodgers in critical and short yardage situations instead of the inconsistent and unreliable running game.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 4/21/2013(UTC)
Online nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:12:37 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

To bring the safeties up, so that Aaron can continue to throw deep constantly.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:25:15 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
stat whore. you just want to break Favre's records. Laughing

Shame on you

Aren't you the stat whore?
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:27:55 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
To bring the safeties up, so that Aaron can continue to throw deep constantly.

You can accomplish that with the slant passes, screen passes, and quick checkdowns too. The Packers just got a little greedy and arrogant over the last couple years.
UserPostedImage
Online Mucky Tundra  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:06:54 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 223
Applause Received: 272

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
They don't really need to run more they just need to run more effectively. Last year they were about 16th in total offensive drives and 16th in rushing attempts so they had a good balance. Especially when you consider how bad they were at running. I don't care what the perception is it takes some sort of commitment to get that many attempts with the best QB and a very bad rushing attack.

Until they get more effective running the ball it simply makes more sense to lean on Rodgers in critical and short yardage situations instead of the inconsistent and unreliable running game.

They're never gonna get better at running the ball until they decide to stick with it even when it's not working. This team only runs the ball in the 1st quarter and when it's milking the clock in the 4th. When the game is on the line Mike McCarthy morphs into Andy Reid 2.0 and the offense becomes one-dimensional and predictable. It requires patience and the will to stick with it over four quarters, not just when it's convenient.
UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:25:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

You can accomplish that with the slant passes, screen passes, and quick checkdowns too. The Packers just got a little greedy and arrogant over the last couple years.

This would require a QB who is willing to throw slant passes, screens and checkdowns consistently.