Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:57:09 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Bulaga is a great RT. No question. It is really too bad he injured his hip, but I think he'll return to play well again there. I think he's a top rated OT, somewhere in the top 10 in the NFL. I know Giacomini isn't in the top 20. However, he would have been a decent backup to hang onto. Is Giacomini better than Don Barclay? I don't know. I didn't mean to sound like Giacomini was the second coming... my bad Wade!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:59:01 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I don't think he is saying they are only one or two players away from winning a Championship, just that one or two FAs of high quality can help you to get there, taking pressure off of key areas that you normally fill with draft picks. For instance, we had a couple of scenarios where we had high calibre DTs, DEs, RBs and Ss looking for a new team this offseason. We didn't really play, so they went elsewhere. I would have loved to get one of them, maybe two of them, to allow a bit more freedom this draft, insuring our roster was truly complete.

We have so many holes, some bigger than others at some real need positions on this roster. One or two FA signings could have helped. They still may.


What free agent fits the Packers scheme and signed for a price that fits in the Packers salary cap? I'm all for improving the roster. I just don't see any players that could have been signed that would have made a different without overpaying them more than I feel players already are.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#23 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:21:48 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
What free agent fits the Packers scheme and signed for a price that fits in the Packers salary cap? I'm all for improving the roster. I just don't see any players that could have been signed that would have made a different without overpaying them more than I feel players already are.


I think Steven Jackson was a bargain compared to Brad Jones. I think SJax will be a force with ATL this year, and so does ATL. Cullen Jenkns fit our needs perfectly and we didn't even offer... Osi Umenyiora would have made a difference, two years at $8.5M (that's in the Brad Jones ballpark, remarkably). Alan Branch was SUPER affordable as a rotation NT for $3M. Marcus Spears, a perfect fit for our scheme at $3.5M. Somehow the Ravens didn't stop at Spears, but also signed Chris Canty, the same Chris Canty who couldn't pass our physical, at less than $3M per year. I wonder about that...

Pick any two of these players, and our roster is better. Pre draft.

Hmmm, Brad Jones or Osi Umenyiora...? But, but, Brad Jones falls under the "Draft & Develop" umbrella.

I don't know Zero2Cool. The policy, and it sure seems like a hard line policy, seems just too strict for my liking. In building out a roster, there ought to be balance, and this is one area where I think we have little. our team is ALWAYS so damn young. That inexperience can provide for costly mistakes. Some of these mistakes we cannot afford during Rodgers' prime. We shouldn't allow ourselves to afford that during Rodgers' prime. We should maximize our opportunities. Sprinkle a couple of quality vets in there. It wouldn't hurt.
Offline nerdmann  
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:29:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

I DO believe we are 1 or 2 players from the Superbowl. In fact, if we didn't go out of our way to shit ourselves in the playoffs I'd have liked our chances the last two years.

That said, I DON'T want Ted to splurge on big named free agents. Fuck that shit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#25 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:31:32 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I DO believe we are 1 or 2 players from the Superbowl. In fact, if we didn't go out of our way to shit ourselves in the playoffs I'd have liked our chances the last two years.

That said, I DON'T want Ted to splurge on big named free agents. Fuck that shit.


But, it's OK to splurge on Brad Fucking Jones?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:32:40 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I think Steven Jackson was a bargain compared to Brad Jones. I think SJax will be a force with ATL this year, and so does ATL. Cullen Jenkns fit our needs perfectly and we didn't even offer... Osi Umenyiora would have made a difference, two years at $8.5M (that's in the Brad Jones ballpark, remarkably). Alan Branch was SUPER affordable as a rotation NT for $3M. Marcus Spears, a perfect fit for our scheme at $3.5M. Somehow the Ravens didn't stop at Spears, but also signed Chris Canty, the same Chris Canty who couldn't pass our physical, at less than $3M per year. I wonder about that...

Pick any two of these players, and our roster is better. Pre draft.

Hmmm, Brad Jones or Osi Umenyiora...? But, but, Brad Jones falls under the "Draft & Develop" umbrella.

I don't know Zero2Cool. The policy, and it sure seems like a hard line policy, seems just too strict for my liking. In building out a roster, there ought to be balance, and this is one area where I think we have little. our team is ALWAYS so damn young. That inexperience can provide for costly mistakes. Some of these mistakes we cannot afford during Rodgers' prime. We shouldn't allow ourselves to afford that during Rodgers' prime. We should maximize our opportunities. Sprinkle a couple of quality vets in there. It wouldn't hurt.


Fucking 503 error ... again.


Steven Jackson is not even worth mentioning because he wanted to be a Falcon, or would retire. Regardless, he was NOT worth his contract to the Packers.

Osi Umenyiora played DE in a 4 -3 and I believe went to a team where he will again play in a 4 - 3 with the Falcons. Remember Aaron Kampman? He couldn't make the transition, I'm not saying he'd fail because Kampman, I'm just saying it's not as easy as plug and play.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:57:48 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 103

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
It means you better have good coaches. Eh? Angel


lol - how long have we had our Oline coach? ...
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/25/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#28 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:03:50 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
But, it's OK to splurge on Brad Fucking Jones?


Brad Jones played a hell of a lot better than Osi Umenyiora did last year and actually fits into a 3-4 scheme. So yeah in that example it's a lot better idea.
Offline play2win  
#29 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:31:36 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Fucking 503 error ... again.


Steven Jackson is not even worth mentioning because he wanted to be a Falcon, or would retire. Regardless, he was NOT worth his contract to the Packers.

Osi Umenyiora played DE in a 4 -3 and I believe went to a team where he will again play in a 4 - 3 with the Falcons. Remember Aaron Kampman? He couldn't make the transition, I'm not saying he'd fail because Kampman, I'm just saying it's not as easy as plug and play.


I guess the point is, Alan Branch and Marcus Spears may have been huge signings before entering this draft. They both fit the scheme and were affordable. Adding those two players to our roster may have afforded us a bit more flexibility in this weekend's draft, with two bases covered. Clearly, we looked to Steven Jackson to be a weaker team than ATL, with less of a chance of winning the SB. Why?

We don't add marquee talent. We just don't. We draft and we draft, and we wait for some of these players to develop into marquee talent. The only players not named Rodgers and Matthews who have turned out to be so are just a handful. Jordy Nelson. Tramon Williams. Josh Sitton. Anybody else? I mean, a top player in the NFL at his position still with this team? Randall Cobb certainly has potential, as does Finley, Raji, Shields and Hayward. But they are not there yet, and for some, it has been many years with this team.

Brad Jones re-signing with GB is a potential-based signing. The guy did OK last season. He did not come close to burning the house down in any respect playing ILB. 2 sacks. 1 FF. 4 PDs. Measure him against our competition. How is re-signing him making us a better team, at nearly $4M per season? We could have added one of the aforementioned FAs, and paid half the salary of the other for that. This is where I think the "develop" part of the equation goes south. When we overpay, simply because we drafted them. Finley is another prime example.

I wish Draft & Develop = Performance & Reward, with more consistency. If we are not getting the performance from the players, but they are rewarded with outrageous salaries, that, to me, is a problem. It is no different from playing in FA on a high salary player and losing. Seems the percentages of hit vs. miss are very close, both in drafted players and in FA players.

We eliminate one avenue for adding talent to our team entirely, holding so close to draft & develop. And, I think that adversely affects how we draft, and our chances at -ultimate- success. We really blew it in 2011. I hope that doesn't happen again, and look for us to have an incredible draft over these next few days. We're going to need every bit of it.
Offline play2win  
#30 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:33:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Brad Jones played a hell of a lot better than Osi Umenyiora did last year and actually fits into a 3-4 scheme. So yeah in that example it's a lot better idea.


Well, I do know that 2 sacks are not better than 6...
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Since69

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla