Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<23456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nichdane  
#46 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:08:16 PM(UTC)
nichdane

Applause Received: 9

I'm not about to claim SBNation as the go-to for scouting info, but here's a nice article breaking down 3-4 DT/DE hybrids. It's less than two-days old.

SBNation -- NFL Draft 2013: Scouting the DE/DT hybrids

Datone Jones is the *first* player the writer lists. I like the sound of this:

Quote:
If there's one player in this year's Draft that has a similar style as Watt and may play a similar role as Watt in the NFL, it's UCLA's Datone Jones. Mind you, I'm not saying Jones is the next J.J. Watt (really, I'm not), only that he might be used in a similar manner by a team looking for a "hybrid" type of DT/DE.

The best point made in this analysis is that the old days of the either 3-or-5 technique fit are gone. Look at the the .gifs of 49ers DE/DT Justin Smith. He'll line up at 5-technique end, then shift to a 2-technique right before the snap. He'll line up wide at a 9-technique; he'll take on the LT one on one. He'll play 3-technique in the sub packages. That is to say, that mofo is versatile. Read line one on Datone Jones: that mofo is versatile.

Add to that 1) athleticism 2) high-motor 3) good football I.Q. 4) a frame that can add weight 5) Big hands 6) good speed -- do I need to keep going?

I'm not saying he's J.J. Watt. That's ridiculous. But he has a similarly disruptive style and ability to play all along the line.

Is he a 300 lb., purely 5-technique block soaking run-stuffer? No. But we don't play a lot of that defense any way.
thanks Post received 6 applause.
Dulak on 4/26/2013(UTC), play2win on 4/26/2013(UTC), wpr on 4/26/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 4/26/2013(UTC), Yerko on 4/26/2013(UTC), earthquake on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Online nerdmann  
#47 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:19:29 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,357
Applause Received: 595

Originally Posted by: nichdane Go to Quoted Post
I'm not about to claim SBNation as the go-to for scouting info, but here's a nice article breaking down 3-4 DT/DE hybrids. It's less than two-days old.

The best point made in this analysis is that the old days of the either 3-or-5 technique fit are gone. Look at the the .gifs of 49ers DE/DT Justin Smith. He'll line up at 5-technique end, then shift to a 2-technique right before the snap. He'll line up wide at a 9-technique; he'll take on the LT one on one. He'll play 3-technique in the sub packages. That is to say, that mofo is versatile. Read line one on Datone Jones: that mofo is versatile.

Add to that 1) athleticism 2) high-motor 3) good football I.Q. 4) a frame that can add weight 5) Big hands 6) good speed -- do I need to keep going?

I'm not saying he's J.J. Watt. That's ridiculous. But he has a similarly disruptive style and ability to play all along the line.

Is he a 300 lb., purely 5-technique block soaking run-stuffer? No. But we don't play a lot of that defense any way.

I agree with everything you say.

Now go back and watch the 49ers games from last year, and see how they ran right over us. Adrian Peterson too, although he generally didn't take it straight up the gut.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nichdane  
#48 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:25:31 PM(UTC)
nichdane

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I agree with everything you say.

Now go back and watch the 49ers games from last year, and see how they ran right over us. Adrian Peterson too, although he generally didn't take it straight up the gut.

We're through 1 pick so far. Datone wasn't brought in because he's a beast against the run. And better run defense isn't the only thing we need to get better at. I'm sure you'd agree.

Outside of Matthews we don't have a sure-fire rusher. Jones brings disruptiveness and energy, and will likely see a lot of playing time in the sub-packages -- where we play most of the time. He's a "hybrid," and when I hypothetically go back and watch someone like Kaepernick run down our throats, I can't help but think we'd be better served with a talent like Jones on the field.
Online nerdmann  
#49 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 12:32:55 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,357
Applause Received: 595

We're through 1 pick so far. Datone wasn't brought in because he's a beast against the run. And better run defense isn't the only thing we need to get better at. I'm sure you'd agree.

Outside of Matthews we don't have a sure-fire rusher. Jones brings disruptiveness and energy, and will likely see a lot of playing time in the sub-packages -- where we play most of the time. He's a "hybrid," and when I hypothetically go back and watch someone like Kaepernick run down our throats, I can't help but think we'd be better served with a talent like Jones on the field.

He'll be able to catch Kaepernick from behind I guess. lol Dude's tall, powerful, all that. Not as quick in short area as JJ Watt, in the combine drills. But I think he'll be explosive.

Ctv

Quote:
Q: Do you want to lose or add weight?

Jones: It depends on where a team needs me to be. I can’t really judge it. My starting point is 284.

Here's another interesting tidbit on Johnathan Franklin, who I'd love Ted to nab too:

Quote:
Q: What is Johnathan Franklin like?

Jones: Johnathan Franklin is a great guy. Great guy to be around. He’s a high-character guy, and he’s a hard worker. Johnathan Franklin is another guy who wants to be the best. His energy, a lot of times you’ll see him getting tackled in the backfield; all of a sudden he has a first down 5 yards later. It’s crazy, man. His work ethic is something that a lot of guys should follow. He’s real humble. Hard worker. Just an unbelievable athlete.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nichdane  
#50 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 12:48:43 AM(UTC)
nichdane

I'd be all for taking Franklin. I have expressed such on social media, you'll just have to take my word for it. I think he's a perfect fit at RB.
Offline stevegb  
#51 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 1:34:44 AM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 4

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
What was that? Sit out the end of the season hurt, and only play limited snaps in the playoffs?

Lol, hey if it wins us another Super Bowl I'm not going to complain.
blank
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#52 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 2:12:19 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

PackersNews wrote:
Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers spoke with the media after the Packers drafted UCLA defensive end Datone Jones with the 26th pick.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#53 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 2:12:20 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

PackersNews wrote:
The Green Bay Packers have been looking for a versatile, three-down defensive lineman ever since they let Cullen Jenkins leave in free agency after the 2010 season.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline JustinAVA182  
#54 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 2:19:47 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

If we are picking a RB in round 2 I'm thinking its going to be Eddie Lacy or Giovani Bernard. Bengals pick at 37 they might go RB so one these guys might be gone. Who knows tho! Love draft day
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#55 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 2:53:04 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 98

sounds like a good pick to me - anxious to see what he can do ... be nice if he could be a decent pass rusher ...
Offline play2win  
#56 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 4:23:40 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Awesome analysis nichdane!

I was watching some film on him before the draft, and I hate to use the term " motor" because it is so cliche, but his play looked to epitomize it. For a single addition to this Packers team, Datone Jones looks pretty damn good.
Offline wpr  
#57 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:14:22 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,828
Applause Received: 1,364

This is what I question.

At 280, he might help stuff the run in a 4-3, because there's four guys on the line. He's working with 3 others. I think he's a little light to stuff the run in the defense we run, especially the 2-5.

The Packers keep drafting these guys who do not fit the scheme.

I guess Uncle Ted doesn't know what they hell he is doing. Or at the very least he drafts the wrong guys every single year just to piss you off.

UCLA did play quite a bit of 3-4. Jones was able to line up both inside and outside as they saw fit. If at 280 he is able to stop the run and play NT I am sure he will do just fine it he adds a few pounds.

His play isn't exactly based on speed so 10-20 pounds more won't ruin his game. He is very strong already and he will probably get a little more so in the near future.

You are going to make his momma cry if you keep being so mean to him.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Dulak on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#58 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:19:05 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 192

bye bye Raji and thats all I have to say about that
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
nerdmann on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#59 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:23:44 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 42
Applause Received: 856

Why are people saying he doesn't fit the scheme lol? He dominated on a 3-4 line in college and seems like nothing but a perfect fit for the scheme.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/26/2013(UTC), play2win on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#60 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:29:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,863
Applause Received: 2,027

Call it whatever you want. They keep bitching about how they continue to have 4-3 personnel for their 3-4 system. Then they draft Nick Perry. Then they draft Jerel Worthy. Then they draft Mike Daniels. Now they've drafted Datone Jones.

Wtf are they bitching for? Sympathy?

I check the site pretty much everyday and I don't recall that at all. I am assuming by "they" you are talking about people on the site here, because why else would you bring it up here?

The Packers draft for their scheme, which happens to be 3 - 4. This Datone Jones guy fills the DEFENSIVE END position in the 3 - 4. I doubt you'll see him in the DEFENSIVE TACKLE (as you said) position as much.

I hope you can bump some threads where people are bitching about getting 4 - 3 players instead of 3 - 4. Nick Perry was a 4 - 3 DE and they drafted him with the intent on making him a 3 - 4 OLB. That is drafting for 3 - 4. They had a plan.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
play2win on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed