Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:51:46 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Yes... and the Packers toyed with kicking him inside as well.

Personally.. I can't wait for Campen to be walked.. even if it takes walking the whole damn staff. lol.

There is no damn way.. with as long as he has been here.. that yearly we should be answering questions on the offensive line because he fails to develop a solid unit. Period.

Said the same damn thing in 2008.. 2009.. 2010.. 2011. and 2012.. and I am pretty damn sure that it will not change this season. Inconsistency has been his trademark along with running through prospect after prospect.

I gave up on him in 2008.. two years after Ted handed him 3 picks to develop.. pathetic.

They talk about having a tougher team. I can not understand why they look at the players only. If they want a tougher team look at the position coaches too.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Gaycandybacon  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:57:56 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Personally.. I can't wait for Campen to be walked.. even if it takes walking the whole damn staff. lol.

There is no damn way.. with as long as he has been here.. that yearly we should be answering questions on the offensive line because he fails to develop a solid unit. Period.

Said the same damn thing in 2008.. 2009.. 2010.. 2011. and 2012.. and I am pretty damn sure that it will not change this season. Inconsistency has been his trademark along with running through prospect after prospect.

I gave up on him in 2008.. two years after Ted handed him 3 picks to develop.. pathetic.

It's not all about Campen. It's acquiring the right players and keeping them healthy which they've struggled with for a while and we had no depth to back it all up. Their best picks by far are Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, and Sherrod. We've just had nothing behind them and we had problems finding that one LT. I say see what Bulaga has at LT. I thought we drafted him to play LT in the first place. We don't have to force him to play LT, we can just see what he's got there. I think Newhouse/Sherrod can develop nicely at the RT position instead of the pressure every snap of protecting the best QB in the league.
Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:10:29 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Boy, you said it man! I have been so unimpressed with our OL coaching. McCarthy best light an inferno under Campen's ass this year. Top notch OL play can actually make or break us this season. We've certainly missed that these past two...
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:10:46 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
It's not all about Campen. It's acquiring the right players and keeping them healthy which they've struggled with for a while and we had no depth to back it all up. Their best picks by far are Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, and Sherrod. We've just had nothing behind them and we had problems finding that one LT. I say see what Bulaga has at LT. I thought we drafted him to play LT in the first place. We don't have to force him to play LT, we can just see what he's got there. I think Newhouse/Sherrod can develop nicely at the RT position instead of the pressure every snap of protecting the best QB in the league.

My opinion and thoughts on this..

Name a drafted Offensive Lineman under Campen's watch that is drafted, assigned a position and left to develop in that position. I can name 1. Sitton. I think it is not a coincidence that he is the only Pro Bowl caliber player currently on the roster.

And I think that goes a long way in developing a offensive line, especially if you are going to play them early in their career. No.. instead we flip them around like ping pong balls and expect them to play well when thrown to the wolves.

Lang, Bulaga, Colledge, Moll, Spitz, Coston, Barbre, Giacomini, Newhouse.. even Sherrod and Meredith were dicked with along the line.

Playing on offensive line is not only just personal talent.. it is continuity between the 5 and guys being able to rely that the other 4 are reading things the same way. Constantly flipping them from spot to spot, you disrupt that greatly. We have tried it for years.. since 2004/2005 in fact.. and it continues to fail year after year.

Again.. your backups, I can understand the concept if you have a solid starting core.. but trying to carry 7 or 8 with the moto of bouncing them around, especially the guys that are being counted on to play.. recipe for failure.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:14:13 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post

This is true. Add to that a horrifically failed Jeff Saturday experiment at C... I often wonder how differently we might have fared if we had just plunked EDS in there from the get go last season. Losing Sherrod really hurt. Then with Marshall Newhouse having a slightly off second season, and our TEs unable to block for a lick, it just did not bode well for us up front offensively.
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:16:55 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Dang! I just realized I left Kuhn off the 53 man roster. I don't think that will happen...

hmmmm.....Anxious need to think about that one.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:22:53 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Name a drafted Offensive Lineman under Campen's watch that is drafted, assigned a position and left to develop in that position. I can name 1. Sitton. I think it is not a coincidence that he is the only Pro Bowl caliber player currently on the roster.

And I think that goes a long way in developing a offensive line, especially if you are going to play them early in their career. No.. instead we flip them around like ping pong balls and expect them to play well when thrown to the wolves.

Lang, Bulaga, Colledge, Moll, Spitz, Coston, Barbre, Giacomini, Newhouse.. even Sherrod and Meredith were dicked with along the line.

Playing on offensive line is not only just personal talent.. it is continuity between the 5 and guys being able to rely that the other 4 are reading things the same way. Constantly flipping them from spot to spot, you disrupt that greatly. We have tried it for years.. since 2004/2005 in fact.. and it continues to fail year after year.

Again.. your backups, I can understand the concept if you have a solid starting core.. but trying to carry 7 or 8 with the moto of bouncing them around, especially the guys that are being counted on to play.. recipe for failure.

I agree. They move around so many parts around year by year. If you can keep the same 5 guys starting from day 1 the majority of the year you will have success. The Bears have them problem as well.

If we can run the ball effectively better this year it will drastically help this offensive line. This year I hope hope hope we get this right. Have extreme competition at LT/G we can get things rolling.
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:24:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Dang! I just realized I left Kuhn off the 53 man roster. I don't think that will happen...

hmmmm.....Anxious need to think about that one.

too late. you are stuck. :P

It is not as if we won't change this darn lists 5 or 6 times between now and the end of Aug.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:30:26 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
too late. you are stuck. :P

It is not as if we won't change this darn lists 5 or 6 times between now and the end of Aug.

Yeah, but I want to get it right now! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:32:27 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Start with Ted Thompson when assigning blame for the subpar performance of the O-line in 2012.

When Wells decided to leave, Ted made a rare error in signing Jeff Saturday.

This team is all about draft and develop, in the end, the best move would have been to insert Evan-Dietrich Smith in the middle and let the group grow together.

Add to the fact that injuries started popping up and then the shuffling began.

It has been said before, and was said again earlier in this thread, a solid O=line isn't made up of the 5 best players at their position, it's made up of 5 guys who work together as 1 unit.

I really hope the O-line starters are set earky in TC and get the most time to work together.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:50:03 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,299
Applause Received: 573

Indeed. Also consider that Campen never himself played in a zBS scheme.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:35:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Who exactly is determining the final 53 man roster? I mean, I think McCarthy has a huge amount of say in this. Was it Ted who insisted on keeping 4 TEs last season? 11 DBs? Only 7 OL? 6 WRs?

Then again, maybe it is a directive from the GM to get the OL players working all the position groups on the line to more easily cover for injury? That is possible, allowing for keeping an extra player or two at another position.

Both of our new OL can work at least two positions, which is good.

Maybe the whole philosophy needs to change from up top. I thought we had 3 or 4 position groups that seemed a bit heavy last season at the 53: TE, WR, RB, and DB. Turns out we needed every RB and TE we had as the season wore on. Even WR became an issue with both Nelson and Jennings going down. Meanwhile, zero rotation on our DL cost us big time. And our OL dropped like flies for a while there.

Who knows? Personally, I can't wait till they expand these and the game day rosters. Every team should be able to keep more than 53, and dress more than 46 on game day. Oh well. Makes the personnel game very interesting.

Here's to strength, conditioning, sound instruction and a little more luck in 2013!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:43:25 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,841
Applause Received: 1,994

Ted Thompson has the final say, however, he stated publicly (yeah that's right, no inside information here) that he doesn't think it makes sense to force a player on the coach if they don't feel they are a good fit.

Essentially, both Mike and Ted make the decision collectively. It's not one person, but Ted gets credit/blame.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Dulak  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:47:24 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 94

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Ted Thompson has the final say, however, he stated publicly (yeah that's right, no inside information here) that he doesn't think it makes sense to force a player on the coach if they don't feel they are a good fit.

Essentially, both Mike and Ted make the decision collectively. It's not one person, but Ted gets credit/blame.

sort of off topic - but do you know whats weird? ... ted Thompson reminds me of my step dad ... looks like him sort of and has the same posture and I could imagine him talking like him in front of an audience ...

Offline Pack93z  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:51:33 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Who exactly is determining the final 53 man roster? I mean, I think McCarthy has a huge amount of say in this. Was it Ted who insisted on keeping 4 TEs last season? 11 DBs? Only 7 OL? 6 WRs?

Then again, maybe it is a directive from the GM to get the OL players working all the position groups on the line to more easily cover for injury? That is possible, allowing for keeping an extra player or two at another position.

Both of our new OL can work at least two positions, which is good.

Maybe the whole philosophy needs to change from up top. I thought we had 3 or 4 position groups that seemed a bit heavy last season at the 53: TE, WR, RB, and DB. Turns out we needed every RB and TE we had as the season wore on. Even WR became an issue with both Nelson and Jennings going down. Meanwhile, zero rotation on our DL cost us big time. And our OL dropped like flies for a while there.

Who knows? Personally, I can't wait till they expand these and the game day rosters. Every team should be able to keep more than 53, and dress more than 46 on game day. Oh well. Makes the personnel game very interesting.

Here's to strength, conditioning, sound instruction and a little more luck in 2013!

I think it is a pretty open process.. just like draft evaluations.

Ted Thompson wrote:
We’ve always had that and we always will, and those people that we’ve put in those positions are mandated to question and to challenge from time to time – not for the sake of an argument but to make sure we’re doing what’s right for the organization. Yeah, those three guys did that a lot. We have other people here that are doing that as we speak. We’ll have our meeting with our defensive coaches this afternoon; we met with our offensive coaches all afternoon yesterday. The coaches have their say, the other guys have their say and the people that ask the tough questions do their stuff, so it’s good. Sometimes it’s uncomfortable but it’s good.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed