Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:35:46 AM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,448
Applause Received: 3,870
Mike McCarthy said:
I’m really counting on Derek Sherrod to be a factor. He’s a different man since the second surgery after the season. So he’s making progress. I don’t have a timeline for you but he’s definitely a lot better than he was during the season. So he’s someone we have to get healthy, get him in there and get him ready.

I tried inking this down in a post the other day. Didn't do so well. Here is word for word what McCarthy of the Mike clan said about Derek Sherrod.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 4/30/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:45:03 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 364
if this guy can play up to his 1st round potential, it would be a huge help to our offense.

i'm not too crazy about moving Bulaga
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:55:17 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Applause Given: 436
Applause Received: 1,227
RajiRoar said: Go to Quoted Post

i'm not too crazy about moving Bulaga

I think it would be a huge mistake to move Bulaga.. blind side pressure hurts because the QB doesn't always see it coming.. but if you really want to disrupt a QB put pressure right up his nose. Rodgers excels at pocket awareness and feels pressure well.. so I don't know that there is a overtly emphasis on left vs right tackle spots with him at the helm.

While I most definitely agree that Sherrod would be a huge boost to competition and depth for the offense.. I also believe Newhouse will continue to develop but probably always struggle against speed rushers with a quick burst off the line.. especially on turf. But we can help if that is our only weakness. the problem last season was Bulaga didn't seem right all season and both edges were struggling against speed. You can only shift protection in so many ways and still provide targets in the passing game.. especially if you are not going to run it, smack them in the mouth and make them pause at the snap to read run/pass.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Dulak on 4/30/2013(UTC), earthquake on 4/30/2013(UTC), macbob on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:13:33 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,801
Applause Received: 1,933
this is good news. I had hoped Sherrod would bounce back this year but I was getting more concerned the closer to draft day we got.
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:17:23 AM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,699
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
I think it would be a huge mistake to move Bulaga.. blind side pressure hurt because the QB doesn't always see it coming.. but if you really want to disrupt a QB put pressure right up his nose. Rodgers excels at pocket awareness and feels pressure well.. so I don't know that there is a overtly emphasis on left vs right tackle spots with him at the helm.

While I most definitely agree that Sherrod would be a huge boost to competition and depth for the offense.. I also believe Newhouse will continue to develop but probably always struggle against speed rushers with a quick burst off the line.. especially on turf. But we can help if that is our only weakness. the problem last season was Bulaga didn't seem right all season and both edges were struggling against speed. You can only shift protection in so many ways and still provide targets in the passing game.. especially if you are not going to run it, smack them in the mouth and make them pause at the snap to read run/pass.

Yeah pressure off the LT is the worst but I think it's disproportionately exaggerated compared to any other place on the line. Pressure from anywhere is bad and will ruin your play just as easily.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:46:06 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6,160
Applause Received: 1,369
Someone has to step up at the position, whether it's Sherrod, Datko or one of the rookies. Newhouse is what he is, a very capable backup. We've been lucky to have him, but it's time to upgrade.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:58:53 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 489
This is good news, but it's the same quote from McCarthy's news conference a few days ago. Actually, actions speak louder than words, and the fact that the Packers did not draft an O Lineman in the early rounds says a lot that they have faith Sherrod will be OK. The Packers had one of the very best offenses in the NFL even with last year's lame-assed O Line, a poor running game, and multiple injuries to receivers. Things should be exponentially better this year.
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:44:42 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
I don't think it was a lame ass line, just that they made a poor decision with Saturday and Newhouse took a step back instead of forwards. Added to that McCarthy took half a season to commit to running the rock. We had hardly any rushing attempts in early losses to SF, SEA and IND. Our OL were firmly on their heals in pass blocking sets, absorbing the opposition's pass rushes.

I didn't expect that giant sucking sound coming from Jeff Saturday. Not at all. But, he was really, really bad.

If Sherrod comes back strong enough and wins his job back I'll freak. That would be a very good thing. At least now we have some depth if it doesn't happen that way.
Offline Dulak  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:56:28 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 288
Applause Received: 145
I don't even remember how Sherrod played - thought he did better then newhouse; but only just barely (but cant quite remember) ...
Just hope we got someone there then can stop the speed and power rushers ... (on both sides) like when we play Chicago or the Viks or now freaking the lions with their front line ...
allen, peppers, and now the whole lions front line.
Offline porky88  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:45:53 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2015

Applause Given: 253
Applause Received: 511
Sherrod and Nick Perry's development is vital to the organization this season. They need a complimentary pass rush from Perry -- along with run discipline -- and I don't want to watch Marshall Newhouse play left tackle anymore. He’s not a complete collapse like Allen Barbre at right tackle, but that’s still no excuse for settling for a below average player.
Rss Feed