Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:34:12 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,783
Applause Received: 674

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Points above are good but here's how it all comes together: Having RB's who can make guys miss and break tackles, who can pick up blitzes and can do more than just run an occasional draw not only brings the safeties up some times, but it puts the play action and screen back in the offense. Both of these have been missing for 2 years. In addition, a rd and 4 is no longer automatically a pass play. It opens up the entire offense. Good luck now to any team who stays in nickel or dime all game with a steady dose of thunder & lightning back there.

Allowing the offense to run more makes the line better, it allows them to chew up more clock with a lead and it wears down a defense with a steady pounding. This also translates into a fresher defense with fewer 3 and outs. I think just adding Lacy and Jenkins will improve both sides of the ball significantly.

Aaron and Mike don't want to burn clock. They want to score as many times as possible.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 9:09:42 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I hate it when 3rd and 1 or 2 is an automatic pass play.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 5/9/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 5/9/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:34:55 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 475

Can we as fans at least wait until pre-season games start before we anoint these guys as the next coming of John Brockington and MacCarther Lane.(look them up you younger fans, last great DUO to play in the same backfield together in Green Bay.)

So many things can happen, but it sure looks like The Packers have went all in to jump start their running game.

Pre-season 2013, IMHO, is actually going to be worth watching.

So many young guys trying to make the team, lots of competition.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline sschind  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:29:47 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Can we as fans at least wait until pre-season games start before we anoint these guys as the next coming of John Brockington and MacCarther Lane.(look them up you younger fans, last great DUO to play in the same backfield together in Green Bay.)

So many things can happen, but it sure looks like The Packers have went all in to jump start their running game.

Yeah, lets all just shut our computers off for the next 3 months and forget the Packers even exist. I can't understand why fans even bother to talk about rookies at all. I mean it's not like its anything to get excited about...oh wait, maybe it is.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:01:31 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, lets all just shut our computers off for the next 3 months and forget the Packers even exist. I can't understand why fans even bother to talk about rookies at all. I mean it's not like its anything to get excited about...oh wait, maybe it is.

You don't have to be a SMART ASS!!!!!

Did I say anything about not talking about them?

No.

This happens every year.

The Packers draft guys and immediately the expectations are so high that most of the time, no matter how well they play, the fans that put these expectations on them are disappointed.

DRAFT AND DEVELOPE!!!!!!

Look it up.

RB is one position that rookies seem to be able to step in right away and contribute.

Hopefully The Packer have drafted 2 guys that can do this.

They get their 1st chance to impress starting tomorrow.

The real test will come in pre-season.

The competition is going to be at a high level at several positions this pre-season, this only bodes well for The Packers as a team.

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:07:22 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 303

John Brockington and MacCarther Lane - I remembered Taylor and Hornung, and Grabowski and Anderson, but forgot them. I can't remember, was it still Split Backs with Brockington and Lane? Or had the I come in by then? I really wish Lacy and Franklin - backed by Harris - could be used in a Split Backfield - without a fullback. That would be better in so many ways, running and passing.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#22 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:18:52 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
John Brockington and MacCarther Lane - I remembered Taylor and Hornung, and Grabowski and Anderson, but forgot them. I can't remember, was it still Split Backs with Brockington and Lane? Or had the I come in by then? I really wish Lacy and Franklin - backed by Harris - could be used in a Split Backfield - without a fullback. That would be better in so many ways, running and passing.

This is a good read on how Lane came to be a Packer

http://www.jsonline.com/...d-3a5fj8e-153333955.html
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#23 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:22:45 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

I think Edgar Bennet(sp.) and Dorsey Levens might disagree with you on that statement.

Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#24 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:46:03 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: SINCITYCHEEZE Go to Quoted Post
I think Edgar Bennet(sp.) and Dorsey Levens might disagree with you on that statement.

Trying to remember, how many years we're they together in the backfield?

They were pretty good, but didn't Edger tear up his knee in pre-season and Levens replaced him for good in his 2nd year?

I don't really think of them as a tandem, JMO, Bennet was a hell of a back and Levens followed him.

I did forget about Ahman Green and William Henderson, they were also a pretty good tandem!!!

Smile
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:57:43 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 685
Applause Received: 1,401

No.

This happens every year.

The Packers draft guys and immediately the expectations are so high that most of the time, no matter how well they play, the fans that put these expectations on them are disappointed.

DRAFT AND DEVELOPE!!!!!!

Look it up.

RB is one position that rookies seem to be able to step in right away and contribute.

The competition is going to be at a high level at several positions this pre-season, this only bodes well for The Packers as a team.

You have a real problem having someone bust your balls don't you Buckeye, it's almost womanish? Big Grin Anyway, I happen to agree with you. Lots of people putting the cart before the horse.
UserPostedImage
Offline OlHoss1884  
#26 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 2:04:40 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 173

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Aaron and Mike don't want to burn clock. They want to score as many times as possible.

So does everyone. But when you have a lead and need to keep the other team off the field, you need to chew up the clock. It also keeps your defense fresh. That's basic football. And I guarantee if you asked "Aaron and Mike" whether they wanted to be able to chew up some clock they would tell you absolutely, as long as they wind up in the end zone. With Lacy and Jenkins you can do both.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline nerdmann  
#27 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:06:44 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,783
Applause Received: 674

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
So does everyone. But when you have a lead and need to keep the other team off the field, you need to chew up the clock. It also keeps your defense fresh. That's basic football. And I guarantee if you asked "Aaron and Mike" whether they wanted to be able to chew up some clock they would tell you absolutely, as long as they wind up in the end zone. With Lacy and Jenkins you can do both.

They repeatedly hang this defense out to dry.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#28 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:23:59 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

No.

This happens every year.

DRAFT AND DEVELOPE!!!!!!

Look it up.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but you said it yourself, it happens every year. There is nothing we can do to stop it so why get worked up over it. It's like people complaining about talking about a big game next week when we still have to play the Jaguars this week. We are fans, there is nothing wrong with looking ahead. There is nothing wrong with speculating about a player having the potential to be a ROY or MVP or anything else. It's the off season and there is precious little to talk about. I think there are very few fans who actually put a lot of stock into talk like this. We all know it's speculation. We all know that the rookies haven't taken a snap in the game. I don't think anyone is anointing anyone as anything. We are simply excited to have a player that we feel can be in the conversation.

Like you said, there will be some high level competition at several positions this year, running back probably being the highest profile. It should be exciting. In the recent past we have had pretty much afterthoughts at the position. Guys who gave us a ton of hope and even potential but not much real expectation. This year we have not one but two running backs that many people, myself included, feel can be a significant contributor from day one and have the ability to make our offense much better. Not just some guy who we look at as someone who "helps to keep the defense honest" so Rodgers can throw deep almost every play. If that is not enough of a reason to get people talking I don't know what else there is to talk about.

I do not have a problem with fans talking about potential awards.
I do not have a problem with fans predicting W/L records.
I do not have a problem with fans looking past weaker teams.
I do not have a problem with fans saying WE when talking about the team.

Let the coaches and administrators and players worry about the day to day preparations. We are fans and as such we have the right to talk about whatever we want, even if it is unrealistic speculation.

Message modified by user Friday, May 10, 2013 9:34:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 5/10/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#29 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:57:39 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

No. Edgar and Dorsey. Now, THAT was a great duo! And, the last successful duo in GB, in the same backfield at RB. Took us to the promised land... Dorsey played FB for Edgar... wore a many teams out with Holmy going to them repeatedly to finish off games in the 2nd half.

Ahman and Henderson? Pretty close. I wonder what Ahman would say? He stopped in to my studio a couple of weeks ago... Great guy. He'll be coming back. I'll ask him how he rates himself and William Henderson.
Offline steveishere  
#30 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:49:53 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,006

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
They repeatedly hang this defense out to dry.

not really
Rss Feed