Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:58:00 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

LombardiAve wrote:
Very few things annoy me when it comes to the Green Bay Packers, but one thing does stand out and that is greedy players. Greed on the field is good.  It drives competition and makes players better. Greed off the field is what makes me into a grumpy old man. It appears that the latest [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:10:28 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Shields is a solid starting CB, playing on an undrafted free agent's salary.

He deserves a new contract. Pay the man.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 5/23/2013(UTC), macbob on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:39:42 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Darryl Krejci needs a reality check.

Shields is an incredible player. He deserves fair market value for his experience and level of play. Just because $2M is a lot of money to Krejci, doesn't mean it is a fair deal for a top starting CB.
Offline FLORIDA PACKER88  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:57:08 AM(UTC)
FLORIDA PACKER88

Applause Given: 34
Applause Received: 6

I would agree he is underpaid relative to his performance over the second half of last season. However how quick we are to forget how badly he got torched the year before. I dont like giving guys big deals after 1 year of solid production. If he wants a big long term deal go out and play like you did last season and I'm all for giving you the dough! If you put together even half a season like you did last year dish out a extension mid season and all parties are happy!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Porforis on 5/23/2013(UTC)
Offline greengold  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:08:07 AM(UTC)
greengold

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 7

Half a year of solid production.

I'm sure the Packers have offered a long term contract extension. Looking at who his agent is, I bet I know where the problem lies.
Offline DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:27:49 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

He was instrumental in our 2010 championship, so I don't want to hear anything about 1/2 a season cause that's a bunch of bs, unless people want to argue about his two picks against the Bears that solidified the trip to the SB. I have a bad feeling about all of this with Shields because he has Drew Rosenhaus as an agent and I don't think the Packers have good rapport with that guy. It seems to me, Uncle Ted would have already had a guy like Shields locked up, especially considering Tramon's gimpy shoulder.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Pack93z on 5/23/2013(UTC), play2win on 5/23/2013(UTC), macbob on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:37:00 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

The only knock on Shields was is 2011 season.. but again there were off field issues that contributed to that as well.

As Troy notes.. he was a key component to us hoisting the SB trophy is 2010 and played very consistently last season.

We also forget... he was an undrafted free agent and honestly has been playing for peanuts (comparatively to others) up until now. He is playing the only card he has right now to secure a larger payday moving forward, sure he could sign the 2 million dollar tender and hit the open market next season.. but if he is happy here, why not secure a couple year deal and lock down his future completely financially.

Do I like this part of the business.. nope.. but it is what it is.. and I am sure it will resolve itself prior to camp.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:43:10 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

wooooo I'm not disagreeing with you. But we need to slow down on the rush to judgement a bit.

I do agree Shields out played his contract, but before saying pay the man we need to know what he's asking for.

Just like Jennings this offseason.... of course we would love to have Jennings back.... at the right price.

In contract talks, it takes two to tango...

A report came out saying Thompson meet with the agents of both D-Smith and Shields. It could of just been to talk about the tender they were going to put on them. But it was reported as Thompson was trying to sign both to long term terms (at the Packers price). D-Smith choose to just sign the tender which makes sense seeing as he could be the season long starter which could add to his vaule (or hurt it).

My point is we don't know what Thompson offered (or if he offered anything) nor do we know what Shields is asking for. If he's asking for 10 million a year, then I say don't pay the man... that's probably too much. If he's asking in the 4 million a year then I think that very well might be fair for a long term term when you're gambling on his potential...

That being said, giving a lot of money to some guys makes them get more distracted by other things and get worse on the field. Not saying Shields is one of those guys but you never know.

On a side note... I'm still a bit surpised how big he got it
Shields tatto
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline greengold  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:58:45 AM(UTC)
greengold

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 7

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
He was instrumental in our 2010 championship, so I don't want to hear anything about 1/2 a season cause that's a bunch of bs,

Starks was instrumental in the 2010 championship. Should they give him a blank check too?

I think Shields should be offered (and probably has been offered) a fair contract extension that offers him some security and doesn't break the bank.

But for all we know Rosenhaus has him believing he should be paid more than Tramon Williams. That may be true but the money that was paid to Tramon is gone...

Lots of players are UFA after this season. If you give all the money to Shields, how are you gonna pay Raji, Burnett, Quarless, James Jones, or M.D. Jennings?

Offline Porforis  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:01:19 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

I'd have more sympathy for him if he wasn't skipping OTAs.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:09:49 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I'd have more sympathy for him if he wasn't skipping OTAs.

that reminds me... isn't there some sort of rumored curse on players the skip OTAs?

I remember hearing about it when Grant skipped OTAs one year trying to get a new deal.

I think there was some sort of history of players normally getting injured the years they skipped OTAs...

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:18:41 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,026
Applause Received: 1,464

just to refresh our memory and compare here is Tramon's salary from Rotoworld:

Quote:
Signed a five-year, $38.148 million contract.
The deal contains $11.074 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus.
2013: $5.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),
2014: $6.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),
2015: Free Agent

I think they (Shields and Rosenbutt) want something similar. Why wouldn't they? But not years 2011 and 2012 which not doubt were less than 2013 and 2014.

Reading the old rotoworld posts. Tramon (a RFA as well) held out until the last minute before signing his tender offer in June 2010. It is just business.

UserPostedImage

Pack93z on 5/23/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:22:57 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
It is just business.

Exactly... especially for UDFA's that haven't earned real money yet. Guys like this have already proven they can play at this level productively.. they are looking to recoup a bit of lost potential revenue.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:51:50 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Shields is a great player. Period.

This half a season BS is just that. BS. In 2011, Shields had 4 INTs, 13 PDs, 1 FF and 38 Tackles, in 15 games played during a season where we nearly went undefeated. Everybody in the world was throwing on our asses...

Forget that we had NO pass rush that year, and might as well forget what that does to a team's secondary (hangs 'em out to dry, maybe?). He greatly improved his tackling last season in run D, not statistically, but it was readily apparent in watching him play. If you didn't see it, then you weren't watching. Sam is a young, quality corner with exceptional experience at the position for his age.

I think one of the bigger problems in ironing out a deal is that Ted has done so well in adding talent at CB over the past 3 years. He has so much leverage that he literally could let him walk without us skipping much of a beat IMO. This is just business, and I think Ted will more than likely lock him up with a huge deal that will keep him in GB for what should be the prime of his career. Whatever those numbers are now, they will seem reasonable 3 years down the line. Ted values quality CBs, but Ted ALWAYS plays to his leverage.

Locking up Shields will insure quality CB play for a good many years, regardless of how Tramon Williams transitions the ending of his own career. I think we just hope for the best here. Either the numbers don't work for Ted and he plays his hand out with Shields, or he pony's up and we are insured of quality play at the position, with a very deep roster of DBs, for at least the next 4 years.
Offline warhawk  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:08:45 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

The other consideration is the drive and character of the player. Is Shields a Donald Driver type personality that works to play at the highest level he can regardless of the check he gets or is he a Javon Walker who demanded big bucks after one good year and never had another one?

The guy couldn't tackle the water boy running out on time outs and had to work to get his starting job last year.
Ted Thompson has repeatedly shown the players that if they just go out and play he will get the money right. I think Shields is forcing the issue after playing well the last half of last year. Make it known you want more money and go show you deserve it and I am sure before the season is over you get your wish.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann on 5/23/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed