You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline greengold  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:39:36 AM(UTC)
greengold

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 7

I have a feeling Shields will get paid but it will be at the expense of Tramon Williams. Maybe Tramon is a cap casualty at the end of this year rather than playing out his contract.

Shields just doesn't have much leverage, unless he wants to sit out a year. I'm sure the Packers would like to work out a deal to keep both players.
Offline Porforis  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:06:47 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: greengold Go to Quoted Post
I have a feeling Shields will get paid but it will be at the expense of Tramon Williams. Maybe Tramon is a cap casualty at the end of this year rather than playing out his contract.

Shields just doesn't have much leverage, unless he wants to sit out a year. I'm sure the Packers would like to work out a deal to keep both players.

He'd have plenty of leverage if he can show he can be consistent. He was good in 2010 but not regularly defending #1 or #2 WRs, meh in 2011 and very good for what he played in 2012.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:36:18 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

People, People, this is a clear cut case of a lack of patience. The Cake is still in the oven; The stew ain't stew yet; This is all part of the negotiating process, and it will come to a happy ending. Ted Thompson routinely tries low-balling players; The result almost always is the job gets done for a fair but slightly less than max amount. Shields would not be expected to show up at the OTAs while delicate negotiating is going on. He also would not be expected to avoid trumpeting his achievements and asking for big money. That's the way the game is played.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:45:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
People, People, this is a clear cut case of a lack of patience. The Cake is still in the oven; The stew ain't stew yet; This is all part of the negotiating process, and it will come to a happy ending. Ted Thompson routinely tries low-balling players; The result almost always is the job gets done for a fair but slightly less than max amount. Shields would not be expected to show up at the OTAs while delicate negotiating is going on. He also would not be expected to avoid trumpeting his achievements and asking for big money. That's the way the game is played.

If Shields shows up and, for example, breaks his ankle in a fumble drill, do you think he'll ever see dime one of that new contract? NO. Negotiations over.

He's just taking care of business.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:17:23 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
The other consideration is the drive and character of the player. Is Shields a Donald Driver type personality that works to play at the highest level he can regardless of the check he gets or is he a Javon Walker who demanded big bucks after one good year and never had another one?

The guy couldn't tackle the water boy running out on time outs and had to work to get his starting job last year.

Ted Thompson has repeatedly shown the players that if they just go out and play he will get the money right. I think Shields is forcing the issue after playing well the last half of last year. Make it known you want more money and go show you deserve it and I am sure before the season is over you get your wish.

Didn't he already go show he deserved it, by taking his job back when he came back from his injury. I think our Packer loyalty clouds our judgment sometimes. Shields has nothing to prove to me, I know he can play at a very high level. Pony up Ted, take some more money from our overpaid inside linebackers if you need it.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 5/23/2013(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:58:47 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 224
Applause Received: 272

In addition to his pass defense skills, didn't Shields improve his play vs the run last year after a lot of heat on our CBs for being afraid to tackle?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 5/23/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#22 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 12:15:35 PM(UTC)
macbob

Applause Given: 253
Applause Received: 225

Don't forget he played WR until his senior year in college. He was looked at as a project when we picked up up as an UDFA. The things a DB does that a WR doesn't do--tackling, etc--are the things I'd expect him to be weakest at. As he gets more coaching/practice/experience at DB he should continue to improve in those areas.
UserPostedImage
Offline GBkrzygrl  
#23 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 1:33:56 PM(UTC)
GBkrzygrl

United States

Applause Received: 5

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 Go to Quoted Post
I would agree he is underpaid relative to his performance over the second half of last season. However how quick we are to forget how badly he got torched the year before. I dont like giving guys big deals after 1 year of solid production. If he wants a big long term deal go out and play like you did last season and I'm all for giving you the dough! If you put together even half a season like you did last year dish out a extension mid season and all parties are happy!

Couldn't agree more.

I am surprised that he is letting his agent lead down this path. I am hopeful that he will show up for the mandatory stuff.

TT has a reputation of rewarding his players. Shields needs to show up and show the coaches and team that he can continue to play as well as he did at the end of the season and Ted Thompson will pay him.
Offline steveishere  
#24 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 2:04:55 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 600

He's essentially been a starter for 3 years and made pennies compared to other starters around the league. He was huge in 2010, the whole D struggled in 2011 but he was the best DB on the team and he came back and had another huge year last year. He hasn't even missed anything mandatory yet. This article was way way off base. It's much too early in the process to make a scathing article on the guy calling him greedy and such.
nerdmann on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#25 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 2:20:04 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 211

Shields should be payed, I think we all agree to that... the question is simply how much? How much is he asking for (per year average wise) and how much the Packers are willing to pay.

I hope he's not looking at Williams contract, because they paid Williams that because he was looking great as a shut down CB at the time. I'm not sure any of the DBs should be making quite that amount Williams has for his last two years (not even Williams).
America's team... of the people, by the people, for the people
UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z
Offline warhawk  
#26 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 5:33:02 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 164

When it gets to the business side the GM has to draw a line in the sand when it comes to dealing with these issues. I don't see Ted rolling over for a player missing OTA's. So it's not all about what Shields deserves but more how Ted handles agents who want to force the issue.

Ted has always shown that a deserving player will get taken care of but he also has to send a clear message on how he deals with agents and players that make demands before he's ready.

He has to otherwise there will be a line at his door every year. It will be interesting to see how Shields agent deals with it when they get to the mandatory's and there's money to be lost.

My guess is Shields will show up, albeit pissed off, and shortly after Ted gives him a nice raise and everybody walks away with what they wanted.

"The train is leaving the station."
Offline brandland  
#27 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:46:35 AM(UTC)
brandland

United States

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 11

the whole sheilds thing to me is like offer him 2.5mil to 4 mil a year . if he and his agent refuse let him sit out a year and let them see his worth then. anything over 4 mil is crazy. i know what he has done but we really can not afford anything more than that unless we are ready to cut ties with more important people on the team. we didnt give jennings 8 mil why would we give sheilds big money. the best thing about the packers is our draft and develop . i myself think hayward can do the job maybe even better if he is kept in the game. but this is just my thoughts
Offline PackerTraxx  
#28 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:42:54 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I'd feel much better if he had a different agent.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
brandland on 5/26/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#29 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:34:06 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: brandland Go to Quoted Post
the whole sheilds thing to me is like offer him 2.5mil to 4 mil a year . if he and his agent refuse let him sit out a year and let them see his worth then. anything over 4 mil is crazy. i know what he has done but we really can not afford anything more than that unless we are ready to cut ties with more important people on the team. we didnt give jennings 8 mil why would we give sheilds big money. the best thing about the packers is our draft and develop . i myself think hayward can do the job maybe even better if he is kept in the game. but this is just my thoughts

5m/year for Shields would be a steal based on his abilities and production and nowhere near "crazy". Nobody knows what Shields has been offered and if it was turned down or is being negotiated. Any talk about him being greedy at this point is just stupid and overreacting.