Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline OlHoss1884  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 1:03:13 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 143

Ok here's a bold prediction, based on a comment I made on another thread:

Jake Stoneburner is a totally under the radar UDFA who will make the team and surprise a lot of people.
I base this on the scouting reports that talk about his speed and athleticism, soft hands and good routes. They say he is not a great blocker but not a liability in that aspect. At OSU they never utilized him much but he had like 4 TD's in 16 catches or something like that. His lack of use in their offense is what I think led to his not being drafted but Ted Thompson & Co. spotted the talent. I think that especially with Finley in a contract year, if this guy measures up to his scouting report, I think he is a number 1 TE by 2014.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this guy or anyone else you think might be another under the radar star in the making. (A healthy Datko may surprise people, I think Lewis may surprise at C and I am optimistic about Jolly's return.)
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 2:45:07 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,304
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post

Jake Stoneburner is a totally under the radar UDFA who will make the team and surprise a lot of people.
I base this on the scouting reports that talk about his speed and athleticism, soft hands and good routes. They say he is not a great blocker but not a liability in that aspect. At OSU they never utilized him much but he had like 4 TD's in 16 catches or something like that. His lack of use in their offense is what I think led to his not being drafted but Ted Thompson & Co. spotted the talent. I think that especially with Finley in a contract year, if this guy measures up to his scouting report, I think he is a number 1 TE by 2014.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this guy or anyone else you think might be another under the radar star in the making. (A healthy Datko may surprise people, I think Lewis may surprise at C and I am optimistic about Jolly's return.)

You're dead on imo. It will be interesting to see this dude play, but he's definitely my top pick for Undrafted Free Agent who Makes the Team this year.

I like Charles Johnson too, but he was drafted, and people kind of took notice of his measurables.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 4:54:47 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post

I agree with you OlHoss1884. I've been thinking of him in just those same "under the radar" terms, and I feel he will have a good bit of success in this offense this year.

We have so many UDFA players that I feel pretty excited about making this Packers team. Stoneburner is one of many who I feel will come in, win a spot on the roster, and contribute significantly. DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor will have to battle bigtime to win back their positions, and I just don't see it.
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 5:26:54 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

My under the radar player, Desmond Moses. He made flashes of noise after camp last year, but he has all the tools in the world to become successful physically. Year one to year two might be the largest jump and give the Packers all kinds of options in terms of sending the dogs on a pass rush.

Another kid, Seandre "Sean" Richardson, if he can regain his health, I think he might be a player that really pushes the fray of the safety concerns. Health being the key. Personally, I don't see the weakness of the safety position like others do, but he very well might silence any doubt. Between him and McMillian.. I see plenty of options back there.

I wish I could sit and watch camp day in and out.. because personally I am excited to see this defense gel together this season. If the Line play can improve.. we will not have a "weakness" on the defensive side of the ball.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 5:49:49 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
My under the radar player, Desmond Moses. He made flashes of noise after camp last year, but he has all the tools in the world to become successful physically. Year one to year two might be the largest jump and give the Packers all kinds of options in terms of sending the dogs on a pass rush.

Another kid, Seandre "Sean" Richardson, if he can regain his health, I think he might be a player that really pushes the fray of the safety concerns. Health being the key. Personally, I don't see the weakness of the safety position like others do, but he very well might silence any doubt. Between him and McMillian.. I see plenty of options back there.

I wish I could sit and watch camp day in and out.. because personally I am excited to see this defense gel together this season. If the Line play can improve.. we will not have a "weakness" on the defensive side of the ball.

Des Moses is an interesting call there Pack93z, and I agree completely on Sean Richardson - they kept him on the roster for a reason last year. I think we could throw Terrell Manning in there too. He might really surprise.

We have SO many players under the radar...

Moses
Manning
Datko
Richardson
Malumba
Lewis
Stoneburner

Add to that some of our late round selections in Palmer and Boddington.

For a completely under the radar prospect we could see Damond Smith enter into the mix, a pretty raw CB out of Southern Alabama who looks like an exceptional hitter. I really liked watching his tape.
Offline greengold  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 7:25:51 AM(UTC)
greengold

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 7

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
For a completely under the radar prospect we could see Damond Smith enter into the mix, a pretty raw CB out of Southern Alabama who looks like an exceptional hitter. I really liked watching his tape.

Now THAT player is under the radar. Big Grin Right after the draft it was reported that he had "signed" as an UDFA. Then as minicamp approached reports that he had an invitation to tryout. Then when minicamp opened not another word. Near as I can tell he was not at the tryouts.

I don't see his name elsewhere in the NFL news. Under the radar in full stealth mode!!

Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 10:05:56 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Well, if he went somewhere else greengold, that's a bummer.

After checking, it looks like he didn't make it through the tryout, and was possibly beaten by:

CB Brandon Smith, Arizona State

Smith is a converted wide receiver, and brings some size to the cornerback position that the Packers are lacking. A graduate of Arizona State who started his NFL career in 2011, Smith stands 6'1 and weighed in at 202 pounds in his Pro Day that year. He is a great physical specimen, timing in at 4.39 in his 40-yard dash and posting a vertical jump of 40 inches. He got a brief tryout with the Seahawks during the preseason in 2011, but has since begun working as a corner in the hopes of earning an NFL job. Between his size and speed, he would make an intriguing practice squad prospect as a player who could come in to compete for a full spot in 2014.

Brandon Smith was signed to a contract following the tryouts with two other players, WR Ty Walker and FB Jon Amosa.

I can't find a single thing about Damond Smith's tryout with the Packers.
Offline greengold  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 11:01:13 AM(UTC)
greengold

I don't think he was at the tryout. That's what has me baffled, he just vanished from the news.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 11:36:30 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 224

It seems to be an exceptional year for prospects. I don't disagree with any of what I've read here.

I'll go with Mulumba as possible best long shot of the bunch. I have a good feeling about Johnny Jolly too.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 11:49:48 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: greengold Go to Quoted Post
I don't think he was at the tryout. That's what has me baffled, he just vanished from the news.

I thought I read somewhere he failed his physical?
Offline greengold  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 12:17:33 PM(UTC)
greengold

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I thought I read somewhere he failed his physical?

There was speculation that could have happened, but if it did happen, it was never reported.

Offline OlHoss1884  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 12:46:32 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 143

I am not sure if this is the same guy...the look kind of alike and this is in Alabama, where he played college ball: http://mugfiles.com/al-m...son/xavyer-damond-smith/

If he was busted for posession on May 6 that would explain an absence from minicamp. In 2011 he was suspended from the team for unspecified rules violations, which makes me wonder, if it IS the same guy, was it for a failed drug test.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline GBkrzygrl  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 1:29:51 PM(UTC)
GBkrzygrl

United States

Applause Received: 5

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
It seems to be an exceptional year for prospects. I don't disagree with any of what I've read here.

I'll go with Mulumba as possible best long shot of the bunch. I have a good feeling about Johnny Jolly too.

I am pulling for Jolly. Early recovery is so difficult. I know because I work in the addictions field.

If he can make the team even as a back-up I would be thrilled. When he played for us I can still remember him jumping up and blocking passes. We haven't seen that in so long.
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 6:40:40 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,304
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Des Moses is an interesting call there Pack93z, and I agree completely on Sean Richardson - they kept him on the roster for a reason last year. I think we could throw Terrell Manning in there too. He might really surprise.

We have SO many players under the radar...

Moses
Manning
Datko
Richardson
Malumba
Lewis
Stoneburner

Add to that some of our late round selections in Palmer and Boddington.

Manning's a really great call here too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Bigbyfan  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 9:43:28 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

I'm gonna go with Barclay stepping up and having the RT spot locked down by the 2nd preseason game. For an UDFA, he stepped up admirably for the Packers. He was one of our better run blockers by the end of the year. Having that in-game experience and a full offseason will do wonders, imo.
blank
Rss Feed