Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 4:57:38 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

LombardiAve wrote:
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is a leader in his field — not only of his team, but of the entire NFL. His actions of the past two days has made that very clear. Yesterday Rodgers appeared on the "Jim Rome Show' and made it known in no uncertain terms that he wanted Brett Favre [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 5:30:07 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

As much as I think the QB position is filled with a bunch of over pampered spoiled little shits that become that way because they are virtually blown daily by fans, coaches and the press.. I have seen Rodgers really mature as a leader since someplace in the 2010 season. This is old news now.. articles like this are simply late to the party.

He has been that for a couple of seasons now. Period.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Packerchick on 5/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 6:03:26 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
As much as I think the QB position is filled with a bunch of over pampered spoiled little shits that become that way because they are virtually blown daily by fans, coaches and the press.. I have seen Rodgers really mature as a leader since someplace in the 2010 season. This is old news now.. articles like this are simply late to the party.

He has been that for a couple of seasons now. Period.

His stat whoring isn't particularly mature.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 6:20:31 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
His stat whoring isn't particularly mature.

I wonder if Don Coryell would have liked Aaron Rodgers? It really is too bad we haven't been able to put a competent running game together behind Rodgers. As is, even when the Packers have an off game - they still put up enough points to win a game.

Why is it state whoring to take advantage of rules that favor the passing game, when you have a very capable quarterback. I would say Aaron gets greedy on the field and goes for the home run too much, but I wouldn't call him a stat whore.
UserPostedImage
Offline OlHoss1884  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 7:07:05 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 143

To be honest I thought the kid was gonna be a true leader with the maturity he showed during his first season as a starter. He handled the on again off again retirement crap with class and handled himself well having to replace a legend that had some serious Packer fans I know wearing Jets and later Vikings jerseys. Can you imagine a Cutler or Sanchez handling something like that? And as much as the O-Line has performed badly the last couple years, he's never complained about it publicly or called out receivers for drops. He just plays as well as any QB in football and never loses his cool in the clutch. On top of which he's not a complete media whore like some other top flight QB's.

Not just for his amazing play but for his character and leadership, Rodgers is exactly the QB any team in football would want to build around.

I still won't buy insurance from those a-holes at State Farm, though.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Porforis  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 9:35:22 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if Don Coryell would have liked Aaron Rodgers? It really is too bad we haven't been able to put a competent running game together behind Rodgers. As is, even when the Packers have an off game - they still put up enough points to win a game.

Why is it state whoring to take advantage of rules that favor the passing game, when you have a very capable quarterback. I would say Aaron gets greedy on the field and goes for the home run too much, but I wouldn't call him a stat whore.

I was being facetious.
UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 6:37:54 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,306
Applause Received: 577

I was being facetious.

I'm not.

Don Coryell was experimenting, feeling out the possibilities for the new rules which at that time were changed to favor the passing game. This system was perfected by his protege, Bill Walsh.

Now there is, granted, a whole new set of rules to help out the passing game. These rules inhibit the defense by protecting the QB and WRs from taking big hits, but more significantly, give undue penalties against the defense for playing normal football. And let's face it DPI penalties are horse shit in today's game. They could call a flag on just about any play.

In addition to that, they're trying to pass rules to inhibit the running game by forcing rules against RBs "leading with the crown" of their helmets. Which is just ridiculous.

That said, I still think Aaron and Mike go too far with their deep passing. Sure, you'll get great stats, and you'll draw lots of penalties for free yardage. But it costs us in other ways, such as our defense getting worn down.

Montana and Rice got great stats too. Most of all, Superbowl rings. But they did it adhering to high percentage fundamentals.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Porforis  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:42:11 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I'm not.

Don Coryell was experimenting, feeling out the possibilities for the new rules which at that time were changed to favor the passing game. This system was perfected by his protege, Bill Walsh.

Now there is, granted, a whole new set of rules to help out the passing game. These rules inhibit the defense by protecting the QB and WRs from taking big hits, but more significantly, give undue penalties against the defense for playing normal football. And let's face it DPI penalties are horse shit in today's game. They could call a flag on just about any play.

Agreed 100%.

In addition to that, they're trying to pass rules to inhibit the running game by forcing rules against RBs "leading with the crown" of their helmets. Which is just ridiculous.

Unless you look at it from the perspective that this is really the first "safety" rule passed that I'm aware of that creates rules on what an offensive player can't do to a defensive player. As previously mentioned, the defense basically has to play flag football. Yes, the rule isn't great. But it goes a very short ways towards evening things a bit.

That said, I still think Aaron and Mike go too far with their deep passing. Sure, you'll get great stats, and you'll draw lots of penalties for free yardage. But it costs us in other ways, such as our defense getting worn down.

Except you don't get great stats off of bombs (if you did, why wouldn't every team bomb it every time? 3 chances), nor did we draw lots of penalties for "free" yardage.

Montana and Rice got great stats too. Most of all, Superbowl rings. But they did it adhering to high percentage fundamentals.

http://www.pro-football-...pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

Completion %:
Aaron Rodgers (29) 65.7% 2005-2012
Joe Montana+ 63.2% 1979-1994

Final note: I will never understand why people always instantly assume that you can just sit there and throw short high probability passes all day with some runs mixed in and be successful.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:04:10 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I don't see the passing game as stat whoring as much as not making the best decision, whether it be play calling, coaching, or QBing.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Online nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:33:58 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Agreed 100%.

Except you don't get great stats off of bombs (if you did, why wouldn't every team bomb it every time? 3 chances), nor did we draw lots of penalties for "free" yardage.

Completion %:
We are successful to the degree that we are, because Ted keeps us stocked with elite players, not because we adhere to fundamentals. That said, I'd rather have Superbowl rings than a higher completion percentage. But I'm neither the coach nor the QB.

Quote:

Completion %:

Final note: I will never understand why people always instantly assume that you can just sit there and throw short high probability passes all day with some runs mixed in and be successful.

Because Montana and the 9ers weren't successful with it?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:22:15 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

The 85 bears were successful with the 46 defense. Should everyone be using that scheme now?
Offline steveishere  
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:05:44 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

Completion %:
We are successful to the degree that we are, because Ted keeps us stocked with elite players, not because we adhere to fundamentals. That said, I'd rather have Superbowl rings than a higher completion percentage. But I'm neither the coach nor the QB.

Then you'll be happy to know that the last 6 teams that have won the Superbowl were teams that passed the ball deep a lot.
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:36:18 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

I like how we're continually comparing the 80s and early 90s to 2013. Weren't you telling me earlier that the rules have completely changed?
UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:03:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

I like how we're continually comparing the 80s and early 90s to 2013. Weren't you telling me earlier that the rules have completely changed?

The rules changed to favor the passing game in 1970.

Sure they're passing more rules now, but that does not mean that you stop adhering to fundamentals. What was high percentage under those rules of the 80s and 90s, would be even moreso now.
Rss Feed