Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 7:53:22 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,987

I can't recall being a huge fan of it when we first adopted it. I know after seeing the Cowboys game I'm far less fond of it.

I don't know a whole lot about the zone blocking scheme, however, I do know not many teams use it. That says a lot to me especially since this is a copy cat league.

But, every team uses a flavor of it in some capacity.

I miss the days when we had a power oriented OL. One that just manhandled people. You know what, we still have those two tackles that anchored that line too. I'm not convinced that Colledge will be the answer at LT be it zone or power scheme.

It's impossible to switch now, mid season. I just kind of hope we draft some big OL this next off season and start moving for a OL that just punishes people instead of the one we have now that tries to finesse people into not tackling our RB's.

I'm ignorant to the knowledge of a OL and how one works so this isn't some educated rant or anything like that. I just don't like our OL being smaller than 85% of the DL's we face.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline TengoJuego  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 8:06:39 PM(UTC)
TengoJuego

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2010

United States

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 1

Well we saw the zone scheme have success last season... obviously. But I am like you, I'm not very educated on O-line schemes.
Offline Greg C.  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 9:34:42 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

Zero: I've had the same thought as you about the ZBS. McCarthy emphasizes that he does not run a pure ZBS, he mixes it up, but it does have a big effect on what kind of players the Packers use. The emphasis is on getting linemen who are more nimble, which usually means sacrificing some strength. The downside is that linemen of this type tend to have problems in pass protection, as they get overpowered at times.

When Josh Sitton won a starting spot in the preseason, that may have been a move away from the ZBS. At 317, Sitton is about 15 pounds heavier than our other interior O-linemen, and he is supposedly stronger. I think the coaches were ready to go with more of a mauler-type lineman. Unfortunately, Sitton got hurt and hasn't been able to play yet.

The fact remains that the interior O-line is the one area of the team that continues to be an Achilles' heel for Ted Thompson and the coaching staff. And it says something that our best interior O-lineman is Scott Wells, who is a holdover from the Mike Sherman era. It may be time to move back toward more of a power running scheme. I'm not expecting anything dramatic, but when Sitton returns we may see this trend begin to play out on the field during the course of this season.
blank
Offline agopackgo4  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:38:28 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

I dont like it. There is a reason that not many teams around the league run one. I just dont get why a team goes away from what has always worked...Doesnt make sense to me.
Offline Cheesey  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:42:08 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I'll wait till this season is over before passing judgement on it. We haven't had our O-line healthy, or for that matter our starting RB yet.
So it's hard to say how good it CAN or CAN'T be until we have the pieces in place to properly judge it.
JMO
UserPostedImage
Offline WhiskeySam  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:47:01 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Applause Received: 1

The zone blocking scheme has really only worked when Alex Gibbs was coaching it Denver or Atlanta. The concept is simple: smaller, faster linemen move around and block a zone instead of straight man up blocking. You have to have the right personnel for it, though. You have to have guys who can work in space but are also smart enough to recognize where the pressure is coming from and shift to it. My personal preference agrees with most of you, in that I'd much rather line up behind some monsters and just smash the ball down the defense's throat.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Offline agopackgo4  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:51:55 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

I wish we could trade for the Badgers O line...and plow people over.
Offline MassPackersFan  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:21:02 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

Say what you want about the ZBS and the types of blockers it gives us, but since we've switched we have had extremely low sack numbers given up by these "smaller, mobile linemen." I don't have a problem with it in the running game either.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:28:18 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I dont like it. There is a reason that not many teams around the league run one. I just dont get why a team goes away from what has always worked...Doesnt make sense to me.

Yeah. That's what I don't get. The scheme we had before the ZBS was working great from '01-04. Why fix something that's not broken?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline zerowley  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:12:34 PM(UTC)
zerowley

I think we'll be fine. We've been banged up on the offensive line and Favre's pocket presence masked some of the problems we had in the interior. I expected a slight drop in the line play and the injuries have exacerbated it.

About the scheme, multiple teams are using it. Us, Denver, Oakland, and Houston all use it, and Atlanta used it with success as well. From what I understand it places even more emphasis on communication than a typical blocking scheme, and injuries make that more difficult.

Here's an excellent article explaining it (most analysts and commentators have no idea what they're talking about): http://www.atexansblog.c...bout-that-zone-blocking/
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:22:05 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,987

Say what you want about the ZBS and the types of blockers it gives us, but since we've switched we have had extremely low sack numbers given up by these "smaller, mobile linemen." I don't have a problem with it in the running game either.

We weren't giving up many sacks with the old Power OL either.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Since69  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:39:53 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

McCarthy emphasizes that he does not run a pure ZBS, he mixes it up, but it does have a big effect on what kind of players the Packers use. The emphasis is on getting linemen who are more nimble, which usually means sacrificing some strength. The downside is that linemen of this type tend to have problems in pass protection, as they get overpowered at times.

I sincerely hope this is McCarthy putting his best spin on the personnel moves that Thompson has made. It makes no sense otherwise. Either you zone block or you don't. Either your personnel are nimble enough to zone block or they're bulky enough to push people out of the way. We have to pick a side and stay with it. Offensive linemen don't have time to think. They have to react. What they do in any given situation must be second nature to them. It has to be practiced and repeated until it can be done without thought.

This half-assed "this week you'll be a road grader and next week you'll be throwing yourself at the other guys legs" crap has to stop. McCarthy has preached cohesiveness and consistency since his tenure began and this part-time zone blocking :xcensoredx: isn't going to allow that to happen - especially with young, inexperienced linemen.

On a personal note, zone blocking - and especially cut blocking - seems dirty to me. Its a good way to cause injuries. The only reason it works is because by the 3rd or 4th quarter the other team's defensive line is so beaten up they tend to slack off.

Rodgers was sacked five times Sunday night.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:49:07 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

That's the thing. If you look at Favre's sack totals, they started getting really low with Sherman. I'm no fan of Sherman, but he got one thing right - a good, solid OL. Why fix something that's not broken?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline MassPackersFan  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:21:19 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

Rodgers was sacked five times Sunday night.

I refuse to judge this O-line while Tony Moll is in there.
UserPostedImage
Offline agopackgo4  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:36:17 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Not only that, but Like Larry McCarrin said in the lion game during the radio broadcast.. "Normally the QB takes the O line out to eat, but in the packers case the O line should take Rodgers out" Rodgers is definitily doing a great job avoiding pressure. And he is making that O lines stats look a lot better than how they have played.
Rss Feed