Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:22:05 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 3,483
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Say what you want about the ZBS and the types of blockers it gives us, but since we've switched we have had extremely low sack numbers given up by these "smaller, mobile linemen." I don't have a problem with it in the running game either.

We weren't giving up many sacks with the old Power OL either.
Offline Since69  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:39:53 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83
McCarthy emphasizes that he does not run a pure ZBS, he mixes it up, but it does have a big effect on what kind of players the Packers use. The emphasis is on getting linemen who are more nimble, which usually means sacrificing some strength. The downside is that linemen of this type tend to have problems in pass protection, as they get overpowered at times.

I sincerely hope this is McCarthy putting his best spin on the personnel moves that Thompson has made. It makes no sense otherwise. Either you zone block or you don't. Either your personnel are nimble enough to zone block or they're bulky enough to push people out of the way. We have to pick a side and stay with it. Offensive linemen don't have time to think. They have to react. What they do in any given situation must be second nature to them. It has to be practiced and repeated until it can be done without thought.

This half-assed "this week you'll be a road grader and next week you'll be throwing yourself at the other guys legs" crap has to stop. McCarthy has preached cohesiveness and consistency since his tenure began and this part-time zone blocking :xcensoredx: isn't going to allow that to happen - especially with young, inexperienced linemen.

On a personal note, zone blocking - and especially cut blocking - seems dirty to me. Its a good way to cause injuries. The only reason it works is because by the 3rd or 4th quarter the other team's defensive line is so beaten up they tend to slack off.

Say what you want about the ZBS and the types of blockers it gives us, but since we've switched we have had extremely low sack numbers given up by these "smaller, mobile linemen." I don't have a problem with it in the running game either.

Rodgers was sacked five times Sunday night.
Offline zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:49:07 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

That's the thing. If you look at Favre's sack totals, they started getting really low with Sherman. I'm no fan of Sherman, but he got one thing right - a good, solid OL. Why fix something that's not broken?
Offline MassPackersFan  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:21:19 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

Rodgers was sacked five times Sunday night.

I refuse to judge this O-line while Tony Moll is in there.
Offline agopackgo4  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:36:17 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 3

Not only that, but Like Larry McCarrin said in the lion game during the radio broadcast.. "Normally the QB takes the O line out to eat, but in the packers case the O line should take Rodgers out" Rodgers is definitily doing a great job avoiding pressure. And he is making that O lines stats look a lot better than how they have played.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:40:55 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Not only that, but Like Larry McCarrin said in the lion game during the radio broadcast.. "Normally the QB takes the O line out to eat, but in the packers case the O line should take Rodgers out" Rodgers is definitily doing a great job avoiding pressure. And he is making that O lines stats look a lot better than how they have played.

Our previous QB was nifty in the pocket as well.

I would just much rather a OL that punishes people so we can get a better running game in the 4th quarter. I really believe that's going to be our downfall this year unless we pick it up a bit.
Offline agopackgo4  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:44:40 PM(UTC)

Our previous QB was nifty in the pocket as well.

I would just much rather a OL that punishes people so we can get a better running game in the 4th quarter. I really believe that's going to be our downfall this year unless we pick it up a bit.

You think thats going to hurt us, trying to close out games? Or do you think we can get the job done with the passing game?
Offline MassPackersFan  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:54:05 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7
ZBS has nothing to do with pass protection unless you're saying it's a personnel issue. If so, who do you want to get rid of? Wells and Colledge? Spitz too? That basically means a completely replaced O-line within a few years. If you want to see struggling, I suggest we go that route.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:16:36 PM(UTC)

United States
You think thats going to hurt us, trying to close out games? Or do you think we can get the job done with the passing game?

I think having a OL that tries to finesse its way around allows the defense to have more energy in the 4th quarter. If we had a OL that punished a DL I just think we'd have a more productive 4th quarter running attack. Mike McCarthy made a excellent counterpoint to that theory and in support of the Zone Blocking scheme. I just don't recall it right now.

ZBS has nothing to do with pass protection unless you're saying it's a personnel issue. If so, who do you want to get rid of? Wells and Colledge? Spitz too? That basically means a completely replaced O-line within a few years. If you want to see struggling, I suggest we go that route.
Offline agopackgo4  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:23:18 PM(UTC)

I think having a OL that tries to finesse its way around allows the defense to have more energy in the 4th quarter. If we had a OL that punished a DL I just think we'd have a more productive 4th quarter running attack. Mike McCarthy made a excellent counterpoint to that theory and in support of the Zone Blocking scheme. I just don't recall it right now.

Idk the teams with great offensive lines, still seem to have something in the 4th quarter. Thats when their running backs are most effective.

Rss Feed