Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:46:43 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JSOnline Blog wrote:
Green Bay — Scouting defensive linemen has been a challenge for Ted Thompson and the Packers. Ninth overall pick B.J. Raji worked out. The other 13 he has taken? Not so much.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:42:46 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

I know this is about Datone Jones, and I have extremely high hopes for him, but I just can't let that line slip by about Raji. "Ninth overall pick B.J. Raji worked out. " Oh really????

Raji is a barely adequate D Lineman drafted high enough up in the draft that it was legitimate to expect a star-quality if not superstar-quality player. He has been a COLOSSAL DISAPPOINTMENT to me, and in the worst way: if he had good toughness and could hold the point in his spot, but a little bit less mobility than desired, it might not be so bad, but the big damn lump is a picture of weakness. Oh yeah, he's got impressive mobility - FOR A FAT GUY! He plays like a below average 240 pounder instead of an average 340 pounder.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:10:20 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

I understand that disappointment. I would say he has been average but he has made some plays for us. He is not a guy that I feel comfortable with saying he has been great or a game changer. He just has his moments. I was thinking he'd be more than that, but I have been fine with his production to this point.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline beast  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:02:58 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

I've heard normally DL need a year to get adjusted to the NFL.

I'm hoping Neal breaks out finally as well. I don't like that it's right before a contract year, but they need someone to break out and help Matthews with pass rush. (also I think Perry will have a better year).
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:01:40 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I've heard normally DL need a year to get adjusted to the NFL.

I'm hoping Neal breaks out finally as well. I don't like that it's right before a contract year, but they need someone to break out and help Matthews with pass rush. (also I think Perry will have a better year).

I don't think a DL needs much. Mike Daniels lit it up last year. Worthy was a bit of a disappointment, but generally I don't think there's a huge amount to learn from college to NFL at this position.

I think Datone will be fine. He might hit the wall late in the season, but I think he'll be ok.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:57:41 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I don't think a DL needs much. Mike Daniels lit it up last year. Worthy was a bit of a disappointment, but generally I don't think there's a huge amount to learn from college to NFL at this position.

I think Datone will be fine. He might hit the wall late in the season, but I think he'll be ok.

I don't think it's so much learning, as getting adjusted to power, physicalness and quickness of the NFL on a every play basics.

Daniels was very physical, quick and unrelentless before he got to the NFL. Which helped him out, he probably would of been drafted much higher if not for his size / physical limits.

That being said Jones looked very quick as well, and had a good motor (though I wouldn't say unrelentless), but the physicalness one is the question for me. I think he'll do good but won't be the star right away like some are hoping for. That being said, he seems to know how to use his length very well and that might help him a lot as a rookie and help him get around the rookie curve some.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/17/2013(UTC)
Offline agopackgo4  
#32 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:40:20 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

I can echo whats being said about Raji. I said to a group last year 'you know what, Raji isn't anything special'. Got some weird looks...After all...He had the TD in the playoffs vs the Bears. That cements him to a lot of people. I don't think he's bad, but he's nothing special. Nothing that they Packers couldn't live without. I don't even know what he is supposed to do for our line. Is he a pass rusher? No. Is he a run stuffer? No. he's the AJ Hawk of the line. Solid.
Offline Bigbyfan  
#33 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:54:47 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

I'm not sure why people seem to have such a poor opinion of Raji. IMO, the reason he doesn't make all the "flashy" plays is the fact that the coaches play him way too much. You can't expect a guy to continuously perform at a high level if he is forced to play 85% of the snaps while consistently dealing with two offensive linemen. Even while having such a high snap count, he stays pretty healthy (which is a rarity on our defensive line).

Allowing Raji to have some breathers on the sideline every once in awhile would do wonders for his on-field production.

Also, if the Packers let Raji walk after this season, he WILL be missed and our defense would suffer for it.
blank
DoddPower on 7/18/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#34 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:52:38 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Raji plaayed like 65 percent of snaps last year and it didnt do shit for his production. No more excuses the guy has for whatever reason underperformed his talent level. Hes a monster for 1 week then takes a few games off.
Offline nerdmann  
#35 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:01:55 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure why people seem to have such a poor opinion of Raji. IMO, the reason he doesn't make all the "flashy" plays is the fact that the coaches play him way too much. You can't expect a guy to continuously perform at a high level if he is forced to play 85% of the snaps while consistently dealing with two offensive linemen. Even while having such a high snap count, he stays pretty healthy (which is a rarity on our defensive line).

Allowing Raji to have some breathers on the sideline every once in awhile would do wonders for his on-field production.

Also, if the Packers let Raji walk after this season, he WILL be missed and our defense would suffer for it.

Agreed.

It would also help him if they actually played him at his position.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx on 7/20/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#36 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:14:01 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

Jones promoters make him sound good.
His HIGHLIGHT film makes him look good.
But with TT's poor history of drafting defensive and offensive linemen I'm cautiously optimistic about Datone.
OlHoss1884 on 7/19/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#37 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:28:58 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

Agreed.

This gets overlooked! Good on you for bringing that up!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline steveishere  
#38 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:11:15 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
This gets overlooked! Good on you for bringing that up!

Defensive end was the only position he had any production. He has been getting destroyed at nose. He hasnt been able to hold up the middle against double teams. I would prefer to leavepickett at nose and let raji play end. Turning him lose as a pass rusher on the end is about the only thing hes been able to do well though even then he will take a couple games off now and then.
Offline beast  
#39 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:58:25 AM(UTC)
beast

Agreed.

Which position are you calling his position? Since you're implying he doesn't actually play him at that position.

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Defensive end was the only position he had any production. He has been getting destroyed at nose. He hasnt been able to hold up the middle against double teams. I would prefer to leavepickett at nose and let raji play end. Turning him lose as a pass rusher on the end is about the only thing hes been able to do well though even then he will take a couple games off now and then.

I agree about Pickett being the best run stopper/clogger and in theory therefor the best NT that the Packers have.

that being said the Packers moved Raji to NT because his short T-Rex arms... he struggled getting his arms into the OL guys.

IMO Raji has done his best ether in pass situational blitz where he gets a one one one, OR when he's playing DT in the 2-4 defense (which basically is a 4-2 with the OLB up on the line acting like 4-2 pass rush nickel DEs and the DL being the DTs).

I'm interested in the 3-3 defense some have been suggesting the Packers might run a lot more of this coming season. Where Raji could play a NT or DT depending on call in defense and if they blitz or what they do.

T-Rex arms
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Online Mucky Tundra  
#40 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 10:28:29 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 487

Maybe I'm buying too much into the draft hype around Jones, stemming from the 1vs1 O-line vs D-line at the Senior Bowl, but I think he'll be a playmaker for the defense.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
DoddPower on 7/19/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#41 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:17:00 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I was hoping we would have been able to get another 3-4 DE this year, such as Hunt, Gohlston or Kruger, who could contribute. I just hated watching us play DE with undersized, low talented guys or sliding NTs over at that position the last few years. It would be great if Hunt and Datone could man DE and we could rotate Raji and Pick. If Datone and Perry play well our D could make a big jump this year, barring injuries, if they don't it will be the same as last year.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DoddPower on 7/20/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed