Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:56:45 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Michael David Smith wrote:
The Packers have been at or near the top of the NFL for four years running, and there's every reason to believe that they'll remain at or near the top of the NFL this year. That's the ultimate takeaway from our preseason look at the Packers: They're the clear favorites to win the NFC North...

Message modified by moderator Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:33:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:56:14 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

7 teams better than the Packers? NO WAY!!

Honestly, I can't see even one team that should rank ahead of the Packers, but I suppose you gotta put the Niners up there until we knock them off. Who else is even close? Ravens? Come On! Seattle? One illegitimate win at their place doesn't cut it.

Bottom line is the Packers were top 5, maybe top 3 last year, and they should be much improved this year.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:45:04 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

My post on PFT: "I am not sure why people keep using the term “terrible defense” when the were riddled with injuries last year and STILL finished 11th. Although the difference in the quality of the teams in the top 10 in minimal, I would still rank them ahead of most of the rest. Atlanta has no pas rush and a poor secondary, Seattle’s pass rush will be weak this year and they STILL don’t have a good receiving corps, Cincinnati doesn’t have much of a running game, has only an above average QB and only 1 outside weapon. NE’s OL is suspect as is their receiving corps and secondary and their pass rush is average. I would rank only SF, Den and Balt higher."

The Ravens O-Line will not be as good but their defense will be better. While they will miss Boldin, they will have their OC for the whole offseason/season this year so I expect them to be very good again. They and SF are the only teams on the schedule that really worry me and if I am not mistaken, we get Baltimore at home this year.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:52:50 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,709
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
My post on PFT: "I am not sure why people keep using the term “terrible defense” when the were riddled with injuries last year and STILL finished 11th. Although the difference in the quality of the teams in the top 10 in minimal, I would still rank them ahead of most of the rest. Atlanta has no pas rush and a poor secondary, Seattle’s pass rush will be weak this year and they STILL don’t have a good receiving corps, Cincinnati doesn’t have much of a running game, has only an above average QB and only 1 outside weapon. NE’s OL is suspect as is their receiving corps and secondary and their pass rush is average. I would rank only SF, Den and Balt higher."

The Ravens O-Line will not be as good but their defense will be better. While they will miss Boldin, they will have their OC for the whole offseason/season this year so I expect them to be very good again. They and SF are the only teams on the schedule that really worry me and if I am not mistaken, we get Baltimore at home this year.

We had injuries, plus the defense is repeatedly hung out to dry by the offensive offensive philosophy.

And I agree. We have to prove we can beat the Niners, but none of these other teams even scare me. Can't wait to break Seattle down like we did the Falcons in the '10 playoffs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:09:54 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

8 seems about right for me. We have a huge question mark with the offensive line, counting on rookie running backs, still no proven answer at the second OLB position and our inside linebackers are mediocre at best. Yes, we do have the best player in the NFL and a very good receiving corps, but there is a lot more to winning football games.

Besides, I like being the underdog, it makes winning that much sweeter.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:32:15 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

I had posted on PFT but it appears to have been removed.

Anyhow, I had noted my surprise that the OL swap of RT to LT and RG to LG weren't mentioned as I think that's the biggest difference from 2012 to 2013. I think that decision will make or break the Packers this season.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline agopackgo4  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:24:33 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

Off the top of my head I would put the Packers third in the NFC.
1. 49ers
2. Seahawks
3. Packers.

That doesn't mean that's how I think it will finish up. But that's how I see it to start things off.
There is NO WAY in hell I would put the Falcons ahead of the Pack though.
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:42:01 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,709
Applause Received: 664

I bet Aaron uses this for motivation!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 12:35:25 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

My post on PFT: "I am not sure why people keep using the term “terrible defense” when the were riddled with injuries last year and STILL finished 11th.

Because the Packers offense and QB combine to make such interest that the defense gets over shadowed and therefore over looked.

Another example would be the Packers last to Super Bowl victory runs, I believe they were ranked #1 one of those years and #2 the other, yet the offenses gets a lot more of the credit for what ever the reason.

QBs often get teams into the playoffs, but defenses are the ones who win the Championships.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 7:30:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Bengals came in at number 6.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 9:29:39 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,093
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Bengals came in at number 6.

LOL, the Packers at #8 is a joke. Behind the Bengals? REALLY?? I have no doubt this was simply meant to create some controversy around PFT's article in hopes of attracting more viewers. No intelligent person could actually believe that. Worse-case scenario, they need to be a couple spots higher, and more than likely in the top 5. The Packers defense will be better, and the offense will be one of the best in the league again. So long as the Packers stay relatively healthy, they will be tough to beat for any team, even the 49'ers. The Seahawks are definitely over rated, imo, and I think that will show this season.

Offline OlHoss1884  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 9:35:16 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Because the Packers offense and QB combine to make such interest that the defense gets over shadowed and therefore over looked.

Another example would be the Packers last to Super Bowl victory runs, I believe they were ranked #1 one of those years and #2 the other, yet the offenses gets a lot more of the credit for what ever the reason.

QBs often get teams into the playoffs, but defenses are the ones who win the Championships.

Actually, I think Florio mentions (or maybe it was on CBS) that the lasting memory people have of the Packers defense was their getting torched on national TV in the playoffs. Yet there is still all this acclaim for the 49ers, who gave up 34 in their last game, and perhaps would have given up more without the extra half hour break to stop the Ravens' momentum.

Obviously there is more to ranking a defense than just yards allowed, and I would certainly like to see them play better, but the defense (11) actually ranked higher than the offense (13) last year. I feel a lot better about both because of what I feel will be a vastly improved running game this year, but the genral public tends to get their impression of how good a team is on O or D based on how often its stars get featured on ESPN. The Ravens' defense sucked last year, and there is a lot of hand wringing about how many guys they lost, bur I am guessing they will be much better this year.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 9:52:58 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,093
Applause Received: 530

The Ravens' defense sucked last year, and there is a lot of hand wringing about how many guys they lost, bur I am guessing they will be much better this year.

There was a lot of talking about the guys they lost. However, they plugged a few holes with some decent free agents signings and draft picks, so the talking heads on NFL Network generally seem to think their defense will be much better than last year, as a result. In addition to, of course, getting a few guys healthy. They likely can't be much worse than the slow unit they fielded for most of the Super Bowl game, anyway. They came into the Super Bowl with a great game plan, but the 49'ers definitely adjusted in the 2nd half, and were almost looking unstoppable, at times. Fortunately, the Ravens pulled it off.

Offline DarkaneRules  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 9:55:58 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

Not sure why we are below the Patriots, but otherwise I am good with this. More to proof.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline PackerTraxx  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 10:02:47 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Don't much care where we start - it's where we end that counts.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline warhawk  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 10:29:51 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

The Packers will be right there at the end IF:
A) The young players they have that have shown promise do continue to improve.
B) The starters stay relatively healthy and we don't finish 1st in total games out by starters due to injury.

To the Right:
If Perry breaks out it opens up everyone to his right.

If Bulaga holds up it will inspire everyone to his right. If he's playing his ass off no way Sitton lets him down, no way EDS let's those two down, etc,.

I see these as two major keys in how far the Pack goes this year.

Aside from the fact the IR list cannot look like it did at the end of last year and expect to make a push against much healthier teams when it comes to playoff time. Playoff teams go for the throat and it's much easier to get your hands around that neck when too many quality players are over on the sidelines watching.

"The train is leaving the station."
Rss Feed