Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:00:30 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY — On a night full of unforgettable moments, it is still the most goosebump-creating, spine-tingling sequence of them all. Nick Collins' interception return for a touchdown, Greg Jennings' clutch third-down catch, any one of Aaron Rodgers' pinpoint throws — they all combined to deliver the Lombardi Trophy to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.

But it is in the minutes between the end of the third quarter and the start of the fourth quarter, in the exchange between outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene and outside linebacker Clay Matthews, and on the first play of the final quarter, when Matthews wallops Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall to force a tide-turning turnover, that the game may very well have been decided.

After all, a 21-3 lead had gone up in smoke, the team's emotional defensive leader, Charles Woodson, had been lost to a broken collarbone, and the Packers were on the ropes.

"Everybody looks up to 'Wood' as a leader. He is gone," Greene can be heard exhorting Matthews. "Nobody's (expletive) standing up and (expletive) rallying the troops. It … is … time. It is time."

Packers fans know full well what happened next: On second-and-2 from the Packers' 33-yard line, Matthews read the play pre-snap, came up and drilled Mendenhall, forcing a fumble that Desmond Bishop recovered. The Packers took the ball and pushed their lead to 28-17 with a touchdown drive, and while there were still tense moments to come, the Packers were back in control. (The sequence occurs at roughly the 38-minute mark in the NFL Network broadcast of America's Game below.)

YOUTUBE

"In my opinion, it ranks as the most important play in the Super Bowl," Rodgers says in the documentary.

Fast forward to today, and Greene's words again ring true. "Wood" is once again gone, having been released by the team on Feb. 15. The Packers defense, having been thoroughly dominated in surrendering a stunning 579 yards to Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers in a season-ending NFC Divisional Playoff loss, are again looking for someone who will stand up and rally the troops.

Matthews was only a second-year player at the time of his Super Bowl-turning play. Now, he's entering his fifth NFL season, just signed a five-year, $66 million extension and is the defense's unquestioned star.

It … is … time … for Matthews to be that leader again.

"I think it's just the natural progression of leadership on this team. Obviously the more comfortable I am in this scheme and the longer I'm here, the longer tenured I am, the more I have to take that leadership opportunity. Especially in light of all that has happened in the offseason with Charles Woodson departing, the new contract," Matthews said. "(With the Packers) showing trust in my leadership and ability on the field, you're going to see that. Especially in light of the last few years our defense. We're trying to turn it around and get this thing back to where we were when we had a Super Bowl run."

Matthews missed four games last season — the Packers went 3-1 in those games, beating Detroit (twice) and Minnesota while losing to the New York Giants — with the chronic hamstring problem that has plagued him since he entered the league. But before last year, he'd missed just two games because of the hamstring; when he pulled it against Arizona on Nov. 4, however, it was more severe than previous instances. The coaches also appeared to take a calculated risk and wait longer to bring him back than maybe they would have at a different point in the schedule.

Nevertheless, Matthews still finished fifth in the NFL in regular-season sacks (13.0), and in 877 total snaps (including playoffs), he finished with 72 tackles, 16 sacks, five pass breakups, two fumbles forced and a fumble recovery. Now, the Packers need him not only to be even more productive, but to stay healthy enough to play all 16 games against a much more challenging regular-season schedule while also picking up that leadership mantle from Woodson, who's now in Oakland.

"You get more comfortable within the system being a leader. A lot of these young guys look up to you, especially having some personal success myself," Matthews said. "Kind of being appointed that guy — or at least self-appointed — I'm going to do everything I can to help this defense get to where we need to go and if that means being a little more vocal, running around having some fun then hopefully these guys follow."

Matthews certainly wasn't perfect last season — while now-departed Erik Walden looked the worst against the 49ers and their read-option scheme, Matthews didn't exactly drape himself in glory with his performance that night, either — but he's the one player on the defense that tilts the field in the Packers' favor. As the team looks to develop other players who do that, Matthews is the player the Packers defense simply cannot live without, regardless of that 3-1 record while he was sidelined last year.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline DoddPower  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:04:35 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,169
Applause Received: 547

So who's number 2?
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:56:47 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 305

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
So who's number 2?

Yeah, you beat me to saying it. Also, who was #4?

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Bigbyfan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:04:52 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 81

So who's number 2?

Jarrett Bush

blank
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:32:53 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 674

So who's number 2?

Number 2 is Aaron.

Number 1 is Mike.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline OlHoss1884  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:58:38 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 173

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, you beat me to saying it. Also, who was #4?

#4 was Tim Masthay. Will he be able to stand there cold all season with no kicking to do but still hold up as holder for 100 PAT attempts?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline beast  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:24:46 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

So who's number 2?

Bulaga
(unless they've already named him)

Somebody has to protect Rodgers blindside.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 7/24/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:38:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Bulaga
(unless they've already named him)

Somebody has to protect Rodgers blindside.

You been talking to MintBaconDrivel, eh?

No. 2: Bryan Bulaga, LT

I think Clay Matthews III being #3 is too high. I don't see his value to the Packers team being higher than 5.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:01:05 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 673
Applause Received: 321

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

I think Clay Matthews III being #3 is too high. I don't see his value to the Packers team being higher than 5.

You gotta be shittin me!

Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:23:24 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,169
Applause Received: 547

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

I would have guessed that, but I thought Bulaga had already been on the list. Perhaps I'm thinking about that one article that I was slamming for lacking substance. I'm obviously too lazy to go look through the list.

Rss Feed