Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:54:20 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 88

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY — Having lost three wide receivers to injuries in the first two practices of training camp — and the pads haven't even come on yet — the Green Bay Packers' pass-catching ranks are already a bit thin.

And while James Jones was in no way trying to tell the Packers' braintrust what to do, he did point out that his old friend Donald Driver, who also happens to be the franchise's all-time leading receiver, is still in shape — and hasn't filed his retirement paperwork.

The Packers lost rookie wide receiver Sederrick Cunningham to a dislocated wrist on Friday, then saw seventh-round draft picks Charles Johnson and Kevin Dorsey each leave Saturday's practice with leg injuries. That leaves eight healthy wide receivers for Sunday's practice.

Driver, of course, retired in February and had his remarkable career celebrated at an event inside the Lambeau Field atrium. He said earlier this offseason that the only team he'd come out of retirement for is the Packers and said his agent has fielded calls from teams asking if he was truly retired.

"I just came from his golf outing down in Houston. He tells me every day how much he's staying in shape, and I tell him every day, 'Why did you retire? If you still wanted to play, you should've still tried to play. Don't let nobody walk you away from the game if you can still try to play,'" Jones said after practice Saturday. "But at the time he felt like he was done and didn't want to play football anymore. I talked to him in Houston, and he said, 'Man, I didn't want to play football anymore. I felt like I was done. Me and Ted (Thompson) and Mike (McCarthy) and everybody was on the same page.'"

Edited by moderator Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:08:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline DoddPower  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:29:42 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,864
Applause Received: 432

No thanks.
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:54:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

This is a tad revolting:

JSO

Quote:
Midway through Saturday's practice, the seventh-round pick ran a slant route, Graham Harrell's pass was thrown behind him and Johnson's leg stuck in the turf. He stayed on the ground for several moments before walking off under his own power. After practice, coach Mike McCarthy didn't have an update on the promising young receiver.

In the locker room, Johnson himself was unsure if this pain in his knee was serious. He said he'll undergo a MRI soon.

"I'm not really aware," Johnson said. "I think it's just a scare because I feel alright now. But they're professionals. They're going to get me the right treatments and everything. I'll know at a later date if it's a scare or serious."

Kevin Dorsey's got a hammy, according to the article.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:43:53 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

I hadn't even opened this thread up or saw it and posted in the other wr thread that DD may not be in retirement to long.

I posted my feelings in the other thread, will leave it at that.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline beast  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:51:12 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 276

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

I've got two, according to the doctor.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 7/27/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:29:16 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

This is a tad revolting:

JSO

Don't our players stretch properly? We have way too many hammy injuries.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:37:16 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

3 guys that were not going to make the team any way.

Gives the remaining 8 guys more reps but of course that means more work for Jones Nelson and Cobb who are locks anyway. A few more bodies means less exposure for those three.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:02:29 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
3 guys that were not going to make the team any way.

Gives the remaining 8 guys more reps but of course that means more work for Jones Nelson and Cobb who are locks anyway. A few more bodies means less exposure for those three.

These are guys with insane measurables.

They'll make the PS if nothing else. Could be kick returners too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:03:34 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

These are guys with insane measurables.

They'll make the PS if nothing else. Could be kick returners too.

Everyone the roster has the potential to be an NFL player or they wouldn't be there. I'm not saying I am not disappointed that they were injured. Of course I would much rather have them out there showing what they can do. Besides that what kind of heel doesn't feel bad for someone who gets hurt like that. Its just that its three guys this year and next year it will be three others and the year after that three others. Its great if one of them pans out (I'm sure I may have felt the same way about Donald Driver at one point being a 7th rounder and all) but for the most part it's not worth it for me to get too excited about any of them. That way when one does break out (Ala DD) its a nice surprise. Unfortunately there are more David Clowneys (remember him and how good he looked for a while) than there are Donald Drivers.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:44:31 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Everyone the roster has the potential to be an NFL player or they wouldn't be there. I'm not saying I am not disappointed that they were injured. Of course I would much rather have them out there showing what they can do. Besides that what kind of heel doesn't feel bad for someone who gets hurt like that. Its just that its three guys this year and next year it will be three others and the year after that three others. Its great if one of them pans out (I'm sure I may have felt the same way about Donald Driver at one point being a 7th rounder and all) but for the most part it's not worth it for me to get too excited about any of them. That way when one does break out (Ala DD) its a nice surprise. Unfortunately there are more David Clowneys (remember him and how good he looked for a while) than there are Donald Drivers.

I don't remember Clowney looking that good. I just remember thinking he was very fast. He was very raw, un-polished, and a poor route runner, otherwise.
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:59:53 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I don't remember Clowney looking that good. I just remember thinking he was very fast. He was very raw, un-polished, and a poor route runner, otherwise.

I thought the same, but I do remember Jets fans getting all hyped up about him (when he was with the Jets) after all he lead the NFL in preseason game yardage for two or three seasons I believe. He was going to be one of their break out stars... then the regular season came.

Edited by user Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:53:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 7/28/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:17:15 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post

Exactly. Just like these other late round picks/UDFA that people get excited about and then the vast majority of them disappear.

You may not remember him looking that good but I recall seeing several articles and such touting him as a possible breakout player.
Offline beast  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:02:02 PM(UTC)
beast

Exactly. Just like these other late round picks/UDFA that people get excited about and then the vast majority of them disappear.

You may not remember him looking that good but I recall seeing several articles and such touting him as a possible breakout player.

Okay you meant article love... that's a different story. I remember Clowney getting a ton of pre-training camp article love... speed/size will normaly get you article love just like Johnson got some because of his speed/size. Though Clowney got more, probably because he was a higher pick and the Packers were more WR needy at the time and it was right after Jennings broke out as a rookie, so media thought another guy might break out as a rookie as well.

I found it very strange that Clowney was getting to much love in the media while James Jones (slow guy but draft two rounds higher) was being almost being ignored as far as media love. They just covered him when they talked abotu Clowney speed. I felt bad for Jones then... glad he's gotten some love since ThumpUp
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline DoddPower  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 12:35:12 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
Okay you meant article love... that's a different story. I remember Clowney getting a ton of pre-training camp article love... speed/size will normaly get you article love just like Johnson got some because of his speed/size. Though Clowney got more, probably because he was a higher pick and the Packers were more WR needy at the time and it was right after Jennings broke out as a rookie, so media thought another guy might break out as a rookie as well.

I found it very strange that Clowney was getting to much love in the media while James Jones (slow guy but draft two rounds higher) was being almost being ignored as far as media love. They just covered him when they talked abotu Clowney speed. I felt bad for Jones then... glad he's gotten some love since ThumpUp

People loooove speed.

Offline DarkaneRules  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 12:40:59 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 326

I like break away speed. Donald driver and now Randall Cobb have that to me. They look like they are going backwards for a second, set their feet, and then vrooom.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rss Feed