You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 4PackGirl  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 1:31:48 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 150
Applause Received: 121

so about a year ago, the hubby & I bought a piece of commercial property for next to nothing with plans to flip it.
then commercial real estate tanked & we didn't know what to do with it. after much thought & planning, we decided to open a mini storage facility.

we started getting the property ready back in January, started building in June, & will be opening on August 1st. never before had I realized how hard it is to start a business. of course, we could've hired someone to do all the building for us but we wanted to do it ourselves to save money. after months of blood, sweat, & yes a few tears, i'm amazed at what we've accomplished.

dan & I are both exhausted, nursing all kinds of cuts & bruises, sunburnt, & feel like we're losing our minds BUT this week is the final push to get it done. went down & set up the office/store area today & it actually LOOKS like an office!!! we've had a lot of people stopping to ask when we're opening so here's hoping we get full soon.

all I can say is if you know a small business owner, thank them & give them your business. if they worked even a tenth as hard as we have, they will do you right.

send good vibes please...we'll take all the help we can get!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 7 applause.
Zero2Cool on 7/29/2013(UTC), Pack93z on 7/29/2013(UTC), wpr on 7/29/2013(UTC), Formo on 7/29/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 7/29/2013(UTC), Wade on 7/30/2013(UTC), macbob on 8/3/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 1:33:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

I know a web developer that could help make you a website for one million dollars!

Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 7/29/2013(UTC), 4PackGirl on 7/30/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 1:37:20 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I know a web developer that could help make you a website for one million dollars!

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
4PackGirl on 7/30/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 2:49:34 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

I am very happy for you. I wish you nothing but the best tenants.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 5:10:48 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

Real cool Julie. I've spent many an hour building my business, and sacrificed a lot of family time doing so. It really does make you feel like you've accomplished something.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
4PackGirl on 7/30/2013(UTC), Pack93z on 7/30/2013(UTC)
Offline 4PackGirl  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:41:10 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

thanks guys! it's now raining here which we did NOT need.
we were planning to pour a few pads of concrete today - nothing major, it sets us back a bit, but come hell or high water, we're opening aug. 1st!!
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:16:51 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 480
Applause Received: 227

ne of my old girlfriends from high school went into the storage unit business years ago.
Her ever expanding endeavor has turned her into a millionaire.
I wish you well in your new business.
Offline Wade  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:46:29 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

Cool news, Julie!!!! Best wishes for mucho success.

(After all, I need someone else rich besides Troy to mooch off of when I get fired. Big Grin )

Seriously, though, it's a great business idea -- after all, Americans won't stop buying and accumulating stuff anytime soon. Which means they'll need something other than unaffordable big houses to store it in.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:52:49 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Cool news, Julie!!!! Best wishes for mucho success.

(After all, I need someone else rich besides Troy to mooch off of when I get fired. Big Grin )

Seriously, though, it's a great business idea -- after all, Americans won't stop buying and accumulating stuff anytime soon. Which means they'll need something other than unaffordable big houses to store it in.

It really is. Over the years I have come close to getting a mini storage place after all I have 3 insureds in the business. This year I decided to buy my own little storage shed and stick it out in back.

It does seem like more and more people are telling me they keep some of their belongings in mini storage.

UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:53:01 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 937

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post

Yes.. it never fails to make an impression the amount of crap a single person seems to want to keep in their possession. My shop would prove that I am not immune to that either.. even when focused on eliminating some of it. And those occasions where I dig into the boxes of left overs for need.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:24:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:55:13 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Yes.. it never fails to make an impression the amount of crap and single person seems to want to keep in their possession. My shop would prove that I am not immune to that either.. even when focused on eliminating some of it. And those occasions where I dig into the boxes of left overs for need.

I love the George Carlin bit on how Americans need more cra- stuff.

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:30:38 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
It really is. Over the years I have come close to getting a mini storage place after all I have 3 insureds in the business. This year I decided to buy my own little storage shed and stick it out in back.

It does seem like more and more people are telling me they keep some of their belongings in mini storage.

Absolutely. If I had been anything approaching good with money, it's in the top five of businesses I'd try.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline 4PackGirl  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:56:34 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

i'm amazed also at what people store In these things. it's not cheap. our 10x20's are $95/month & our 10x10's are $65/month. a lot of people store complete crap & waste tons of money doing so but hey - who am I to judge? i'll be happy to take their money & provide them with a service they need.

those interested in doing something like this should know that we went with a Wisconsin company - Trachte Buildings. they are a solid steel building - not one bit of wood involved in the construction. each building comes as sort of a kit with thousands of bolts, nuts, screws, panels, steel walls, etc... they were about middle of the road expense-wise. we're so far very happy with the quality of the product. we've probably spent upwards of $95,000 on prepping the property, the concrete, a huge retaining wall, & miscellaneous construction costs. our plan is to put everything we make to pay the commercial loan off - we're hoping to do so in 7 years. from there on, it'll be a nice retirement for us in addition to my farmland I cash rent. when we no longer need the income, the profits will be given to our boys. my parents always told us that they want to see us enjoy whatever money they are able to gift us while they're alive & we plan to do the same with our kids.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:11:06 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Julie has anyone instructed you on what to allow and not allow your tenants to store?

Obviously you don't want radioactive material. But even gasoline or other flammable material can be an issue.

Food would be bad as well. You don't want rats or roaches.

Are you gong to have them sign a form that says they know you don't have insurance for them? Some landlords require their tenants to give them proof of renters insurance. It would not be legal unless it is int he contract agreement that you have them sign.

I know there are 1000 other issues but I figure someone is showing you the ropes so you don't have to start on square 1. If not tell me and I will put you in touch with someone with years of experience who is not in competition with you.

UserPostedImage

Offline 4PackGirl  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:34:42 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

thanks wayne & we thankfully have an amazing attorney & accountant with experience in these matters. between them & doing research of the Illinois laws, we have a pretty darn airtight agreement each tenant must sign outlining all of those concerns you had & many more. can you believe we have to specify nothing 'LIVE' can be stored in them?? that was a new one for me. apparently some people were using them to keep animals & in some cases, people were trying to live in them. GAH!!

we have Bradley University just up the road from us & several commercial companies that have shown interest in using our facilities. we're hoping for more of those & less individuals. we're also having people apply for a unit - they don't automatically get one.

and again, thank you so much for your offer. there may be things that come up we could use help with so I will certainly keep you in mind.
UserPostedImage