- Lang stepped up. For a guy who injured his back the previous day, he showed his dedication to coaches on Friday night's game by playing and playing well. That impressed me a lot. Now I believe coaches will be easy on him through the week, but I presume he will still play with the starters in week 2 barring any set back.
- Linebackers failed to impress. From the starters to the scrubs, no linebacker in particular stood out to me on his own on Friday. Mulumba made a nice play later in the game that caught my attention, but other than that and one sack by Francois, it was vanilla and void of any big plays even when a few were available.
- Special teams players look tentative. The coaches expect more fire from these young guys looking to make the team and it wasn't there from what I could see. The blocking and tackling was largely disappointing to say the least. Safety David Fulton missed what would have been a major straight line tackle on the Cardinals' big return in the 4th quarter. The play was right there for him and he whiffed.
- Is Newhouse seen as a liability by the coaching staff? My guess is yes. Help was slid his way on a play which resulted in a sack for a loss from a free corner blitz from the opposite side of the line. This was good play call by the Cardinals' defense. Smart teams know your liabilities and scheme accordingly. I am sure this factors into coaches feeling more and more comfortable putting Barclay out there in his place.
- WR Walker plays with focus and heart. Apart from his raw talent, those two traits are tremendously important for future greats in this league. On a play which resulted in an interception at the end of the first quarter, he is open near the sideline. Harrell instead throws to a covered Ross. On the return, Walker closes in on about a 5 yard gap to make the play and tackle Peterson. It was a great hustle play.
- Will Davon House prove he belongs? He played from behind on a big gain in the first quarter by allowing too much separation in coverage and he failed to make any kind of play on the ball carrier on a pass play later in the game. On that play, he allowed the receiver to knock him to the ground while he remained on his feet for extra yardage. I feel like this shows an unwillingness to be physical when the play is in front of him. Very disappointed all around with his performance.
Hey, just reviewed the game again, looking closely for the positives.
Andy Mulumba (46) made 3 great plays against the run, his first a blowup in the backfield. He only played 2nd Quarter. Struggled with getting to the QB, but nice work against the run.
Sam Barrington (58) made a great blow up for a loss of 2 or 3 in the 4th Quarter. He looks like he has the good qualities Bishop had.
Manning (56). Wow. He has the instincts to take plays out for a loss, but failed to finish a bunch of times. Totally blew up a play behind line of scrimmage, then failed to tackle. Seemed a bit lost at times.
Savage (94) looked OK a couple of times in pass rush. Seems to be around the ball. Looks the part physically.
Palmer (51) seemed to struggle, but also looks the part and confident. Took over LOLB for Mulumba to start 2nd half.
Francois looked OK, but with a couple of huge whiffs. He did get a garbage sack. Lattimore monster whiff and fail in coverage. Moses looked alright and made a play. First team LBs looked good.
Josh Boyd and CJ Wilson were our most promising DL on the day. Pile of dust and a couple of yds plays, look for Boyd to be on the bottom of that pile. Nice player! Wilson failed to get much pressure, but did make some stops, just like last year.
I'm concerned about where our wrecking crew is...?
Chris Banjo did make some nice plays at S. Shields looked great, with an awesome run stop. No one else was remarkable in a positive sense in the secondary.
Not much to say on O. Bakhtiari looked good, Lang looked awesome, as did EDS and Sitton. Barclay is WAY better than Newhouse.
Patrick Lewis actually looked pretty good at LG, with the exception of a screen play where he got a little lost upfield. Van Roten looked good at C. Taylor made some plays at RG.
Finley's drop in end zone a great defensive play. DJ Williams made on good catch and dropped two others, badly.
Walker may save our bacon this year. Nice find Ted.