Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 12:54:25 PM(UTC)
WTMJ said:
Sometimes, a few words in a news conference reveal a lot. Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy did exactly that during Monday's news conference after the first practice of the week.

"We improved as a team from Arizona to St. Louis, but we've got a lot of work to do," said McCarthy. "We left a lot of impact plays on the field."
DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 1:11:00 PM(UTC)
Sounds pretty obvious to me haha
buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 2:23:11 PM(UTC)
Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 2:55:10 PM(UTC)
Quote:
He went into how great teams produce big plays - explosive plays or touchdowns on offense, turnovers on defense, and those are the kind of plays that win championships.

Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Quote:
Mike McCarthy's philosophy - a bit of Bill Walsh, a dash of Pro Football Facts and long-held football ideology - wins championships.

A bit of Bill Walsh!? Bill Walsh was all about high percentage plays. When his team made big gains, it was usually due to YAC.

Sounds to me more like Mike is all about Mouse Davis and June Jones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense

Quote:
The Run & Shoot system uses a formation consisting of one running back and between two and four wide receivers. This system makes extensive use of receiver motion (having a receiver suddenly change position by running left or right, parallel to the line of scrimmage, just before the ball is snapped), both to create advantageous mismatches with the opposing defensive players and to help reveal what coverage the defense is using.
steveishere  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 4:46:44 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Good, "fundamental WCO" sucks. Glad McCarthy knows what he's doing.
play2win  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 7:18:35 PM(UTC)
What we have been in dire need of are a solid defense and a running game. I don't much care whether McCarthy is a chip off of Walsh or Coryell, me thinks the latter, his philosophy must now utilize the run to augment the pass. This can work in beautiful harmony. He's going to have to establish a nice balance, now that he has essentially all the tools offensively.

Defensively, I think we've added some really special pieces to the mix to make us much better. From here it all looks very encouraging. Mike is just going to have to put it all together.

19-0. Add another Lombardi to the trophy room! Bye-bye '72 Dolphins. You have company!
Porforis  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 7:29:20 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

That, more than anything else, is why Rodgers is invaluable to the Packers. Sure, he throws for a lot of yards and TDs. But he does a tremendous ball protecting the ball. 9 times out of 10, it's the Packers' defense's game to lose.
beast  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 8:02:47 PM(UTC)

So did he basically just say we need more big plays? ... that doesn't seem like a story as much as a no duh...

That being said, I also believe consistently good also works... I've seen at times the Patriots (and some other teams) at times don't even seem to try to go for the big plays. When the defense is heavily defending the big play they sometimes just keep going for the first down and moving the ball instead of always going for the big play.

I really liked that Mike McCarthy would go fr a huge surprise play on 3rd and 2... but it got to point that seemed like the norm and other teams game planned for the long ball and it was no long a surpise.

What MIGHT of worked great there is that come back play Peyton Manning always did with his WRs with the Colts. Where they fake deep and then for a come back toward the sideline.
PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:35:10 AM(UTC)
Any good offense or defense is fun to watch...if it's your team...if it's the opposing team...not so much!!!Smile
macbob  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:42:35 PM(UTC)
This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

steveishere  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:37:15 PM(UTC)
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.
macbob  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:28:38 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.

I was originally going to argue on the 3 & outs, but when I looked into the #s we are actually one of the top teams in the league every year (except 2010, when we won the SB, lol). My perception was obviously skewed from reality.

I do think our stats feed a bit on the week defensive teams that are easier to exploit down the field and that our offensive style struggles against the better teams (hence our good regular season record and spotty post-season record recently).
macbob  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:00:33 PM(UTC)
OK, lets do a reality check:

Under McCarthy, what percentage of the Packers Big Plays have been pass plays vs running plays? Big Play = Pass greater than 25 yds, Run greater than 10 yds

a. 47% b. 54% c. 61% d. 68% e. 75%

steveishere  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:44:13 PM(UTC)
I think the point is if you have the ability and opportunity to hit on some big plays (we do) then you don't pass it up. Getting big plays > not getting big plays. There is no logical reason to actively try to avoid explosive game breaking plays if you have the ability to pull it off, that would be stupid. That's not saying to try and force it if you aren't good at it and try to get a homerun every time you touch the ball (I do not believe McCarthy does this as much as some people seem to act like he does).
steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:50:10 PM(UTC)
lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?
macbob  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:49:38 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?

Led the team once, tied for the lead once. Trailed the team leader by double digits 3 times.

2012: Rodgers 9 out of 37 total; led team. Alex Green had 8, Cobb had 7; DuJuan Harris 6
2011: Rodgers 8 out of 41 total. Starks led team with 19; Grant with 12
2010: Rodgers 16 out of 41 total, tied for team lead. Brandon Jackson also had 16.
2009: Rodgers 14 out of 42 total. Grant led team with 24.
2008: Rodgers 5 out of 41 total. Grant led team with 27; Brandon Jackson had 6.

Obviously, Aaron Rodgers wasn't the starter 2007 and 2006, but here were the team leaders those years:

2007: Grant 24 (out of 35 total); BJack 4
2006: Ahman Green 24 (out of 42 total); Vernand Morency 12; Brett Favre 3
Rss Feed