Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 12:54:25 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

WTMJ wrote:
Sometimes, a few words in a news conference reveal a lot. Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy did exactly that during Monday's news conference after the first practice of the week.

"We improved as a team from Arizona to St. Louis, but we've got a lot of work to do," said McCarthy. "We left a lot of impact plays on the field."
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 1:11:00 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 361

Sounds pretty obvious to me haha
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 2:23:11 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 475

Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 8/19/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 2:55:10 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,791
Applause Received: 676

Quote:
He went into how great teams produce big plays - explosive plays or touchdowns on offense, turnovers on defense, and those are the kind of plays that win championships.

Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Quote:
Mike McCarthy's philosophy - a bit of Bill Walsh, a dash of Pro Football Facts and long-held football ideology - wins championships.

A bit of Bill Walsh!? Bill Walsh was all about high percentage plays. When his team made big gains, it was usually due to YAC.

Sounds to me more like Mike is all about Mouse Davis and June Jones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense

Quote:
The Run & Shoot system uses a formation consisting of one running back and between two and four wide receivers. This system makes extensive use of receiver motion (having a receiver suddenly change position by running left or right, parallel to the line of scrimmage, just before the ball is snapped), both to create advantageous mismatches with the opposing defensive players and to help reveal what coverage the defense is using.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 4:46:44 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,011

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Good, "fundamental WCO" sucks. Glad McCarthy knows what he's doing.
DoddPower on 8/19/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 7:18:35 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

What we have been in dire need of are a solid defense and a running game. I don't much care whether McCarthy is a chip off of Walsh or Coryell, me thinks the latter, his philosophy must now utilize the run to augment the pass. This can work in beautiful harmony. He's going to have to establish a nice balance, now that he has essentially all the tools offensively.

Defensively, I think we've added some really special pieces to the mix to make us much better. From here it all looks very encouraging. Mike is just going to have to put it all together.

19-0. Add another Lombardi to the trophy room! Bye-bye '72 Dolphins. You have company!
Offline Porforis  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 7:29:20 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 334

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

That, more than anything else, is why Rodgers is invaluable to the Packers. Sure, he throws for a lot of yards and TDs. But he does a tremendous ball protecting the ball. 9 times out of 10, it's the Packers' defense's game to lose.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 8:02:47 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 263
Applause Received: 322

So did he basically just say we need more big plays? ... that doesn't seem like a story as much as a no duh...

That being said, I also believe consistently good also works... I've seen at times the Patriots (and some other teams) at times don't even seem to try to go for the big plays. When the defense is heavily defending the big play they sometimes just keep going for the first down and moving the ball instead of always going for the big play.

I really liked that Mike McCarthy would go fr a huge surprise play on 3rd and 2... but it got to point that seemed like the norm and other teams game planned for the long ball and it was no long a surpise.

What MIGHT of worked great there is that come back play Peyton Manning always did with his WRs with the Colts. Where they fake deep and then for a come back toward the sideline.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 8/19/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:35:10 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 127

Any good offense or defense is fun to watch...if it's your team...if it's the opposing team...not so much!!!Smile
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline macbob  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:42:35 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 321
Applause Received: 267

This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:37:15 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 8/20/2013(UTC), macbob on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:28:38 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.

I was originally going to argue on the 3 & outs, but when I looked into the #s we are actually one of the top teams in the league every year (except 2010, when we won the SB, lol). My perception was obviously skewed from reality.

I do think our stats feed a bit on the week defensive teams that are easier to exploit down the field and that our offensive style struggles against the better teams (hence our good regular season record and spotty post-season record recently).
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:00:33 PM(UTC)
macbob

OK, lets do a reality check:

Under McCarthy, what percentage of the Packers Big Plays have been pass plays vs running plays? Big Play = Pass greater than 25 yds, Run greater than 10 yds

a. 47% b. 54% c. 61% d. 68% e. 75%

UserPostedImage
play2win on 8/21/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:44:13 PM(UTC)
steveishere

I think the point is if you have the ability and opportunity to hit on some big plays (we do) then you don't pass it up. Getting big plays > not getting big plays. There is no logical reason to actively try to avoid explosive game breaking plays if you have the ability to pull it off, that would be stupid. That's not saying to try and force it if you aren't good at it and try to get a homerun every time you touch the ball (I do not believe McCarthy does this as much as some people seem to act like he does).
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:50:10 PM(UTC)
steveishere

lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?
Rss Feed