Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 6:10:58 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 1,556

CheeseheadTV wrote:
There are arguably eight defensive linemen worth keeping on the Packers roster this season, but can they really afford to keep both Jolly and Boyd around?

Quote:
But it’s extremely difficult to see the Packers keep any more than seven defensive linemen on their roster this season, and even seven would seem to be pushing the limit for a team that––more often than not––utilizes only two defensive linemen on the field at any one time.

Green Bay would appear to have six defensive linemen that are near locks for roster spots. First round draft choice Datone Jones is obviously one of them. Veterans B.J. Raji and Ryan Pickett are also set in stone.

Beyond the top three, C.J. Wilson, Mike Neal and Mike Daniels are all good bets to be part of the defensive line rotation. That leaves Jolly and Boyd competing for a seventh spot on the Packers defensive line.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 6:19:14 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Jolly makes the team and Boyd the PS. Whether they can KEEP Boyd is another matter.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 6:29:03 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Imo it's Wilson vs Boyd. I have a hard time seeing us cutting Jolly by the way he's been playing.
thanks Post received 8 applause.
wpr on 8/19/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 8/19/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 8/19/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 8/19/2013(UTC), Dulak on 8/19/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 8/20/2013(UTC), SINCITYCHEEZE on 8/20/2013(UTC), Laser Gunns on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 7:41:08 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I would not be surprised to see Neal cut. We keep both Jolly and Boyd. Neal was an experiment that just is not panning out IMO. He is the most expendable of our DL group listed there. We keep 7.
Online nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 8:37:02 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,788
Applause Received: 676

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I would not be surprised to see Neal cut. We keep both Jolly and Boyd. Neal was an experiment that just is not panning out IMO. He is the most expendable of our DL group listed there. We keep 7.

This could be more possible than people realize.

Hard to say what the coaches are thinking, but a number of people in the know have suggested it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 8:47:05 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,011

I don't see Neal getting cut unless he gets injured. He's still a decent DL pass rusher which we need and they've got him working with the 2s at OLB. I can't really say he's looked worse than Moses and Palmer so I see him working with the 2s there as legit.

Heck I would rather have Neal as a back up OLB and cut Moses and/or Palmer than cut Boyd, Jolly, or Wilson.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:28:13 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 361

Let the best man of right now win!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline PackerTraxx  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:12:51 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 127

TT going to earn his money this year...hope he makes the right decisions. This year has to be some of the toughest cuts since he's been here.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
wpr on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:24:20 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I don't see Neal getting cut unless he gets injured. He's still a decent DL pass rusher which we need and they've got him working with the 2s at OLB. I can't really say he's looked worse than Moses and Palmer so I see him working with the 2s there as legit.

Heck I would rather have Neal as a back up OLB and cut Moses and/or Palmer than cut Boyd, Jolly, or Wilson.

That's entirely possible. Maybe they are really serious about Neal at LB and give him 6-8 games or so to work into a role there. I just wonder about his lower weight and what that may do to his effectiveness on the DL. I also wonder if the talent we have added on both the DL and at LB may be eclipsing that of Neal, making him a potential odd man out.

I've got nothing against him other than his rather low production and low availability since being drafted, for whatever reason, injury/suspension. I thought he showed improvement last season, but it was nothing consistent, nor anything that impacted big games for us down the stretch.

I'm just wondering what their real plan is for him. I'd rather keep both Wilson and Boyd. Jolly is a lock. 8 DL seems like overkill, but maybe their plans for him at LB are more involved...?
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:27:14 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
That's entirely possible. Maybe they are really serious about Neal at LB and give him 6-8 games or so to work into a role there. I just wonder about his lower weight and what that may do to his effectiveness on the DL. I also wonder if the talent we have added on both the DL and at LB may be eclipsing that of Neal, making him a potential odd man out.

I've got nothing against him other than his rather low production and low availability since being drafted, for whatever reason, injury/suspension. I thought he showed improvement last season, but it was nothing consistent, nor anything that impacted big games for us down the stretch.

I'm just wondering what their real plan is for him. I'd rather keep both Wilson and Boyd. Jolly is a lock. 8 DL seems like overkill, but maybe their plans for him at LB are more involved...?

there are so many lbers as well. It seems like a stacked house. They better be a top 10 defense.
UserPostedImage
Online beast  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:48:03 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 263
Applause Received: 322

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
This could be more possible than people realize.

Hard to say what the coaches are thinking, but a number of people in the know have suggested it.

Yes in the know... but in the know of what? Tongue (just kidding)

kiss football

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Gaycandybacon on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:05:48 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

There's no way they cut Neal, to much raw talent and versatility. Probably one of our best pass rushers on the team.
DoddPower on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:15:58 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 127

Maybe somebody will offer a first round...just dreaming.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
wpr on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:43:33 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 1,097

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
There's no way they cut Neal, to much raw talent and versatility. Probably one of our best pass rushers on the team.

When healthy... when has that raw talent netted him production on the field?

The Neal decision, in my opinion, has to be focused on his health right now verses that risk that he can remain healthy. His track record has to be a chief concern in keeping him over a developing player without the same risk factor and track record.

Neal to me over his time here in Green Bay reminds me of that girl winks at you in the hallway but bolts at record speed when you approach to ask her out. Looks inviting but disappears when the rubber meets the road.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 8/20/2013(UTC), play2win on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:14:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
When healthy... when has that raw talent netted him production on the field?

The Neal decision, in my opinion, has to be focused on his health right now verses that risk that he can remain healthy. His track record has to be a chief concern in keeping him over a developing player without the same risk factor and track record.

Neal to me over his time here in Green Bay reminds me of that girl winks at you in the hallway but bolts at record speed when you approach to ask her out. Looks inviting but disappears when the rubber meets the road.

I could not agree more. Neal had 1 sack against IND in his first game back from suspension in a loss. He had 1 against AZ in a blowout win (31-17). 1.5 against CHI, with an incredibly shitty OL, and 1 against TEN in another blowout win (55-7). Nothing in 2 playoff games, but 1 assist on a tackle. He had 11 combined tackles in the 11 regular season games he played. Combined. 8 Total with 3 Assists.

Mike Neal has not really shown himself to be much of a sack artist. I mean, not at all. He is one player who needs to play insanely well these next two preseason games, IMO. But, we don't know how much they are looking to utilized him at LB. Capers may like to change looks with him in there, on the fly. That seems to be the only positive in this that might be keeping him around. Otherwise, I see Wilson and Boyd being better DL and Palmer and Manning being better LBs.
Rss Feed